Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

glass house
clearly visible from the street
big orgies

Is it still true that such a person has a right to do whatever he or she
wants to do in his or her home?
If it was not illegal with a misdemeanor ticket...I would get it on a ballot to make it so.

I have nothing against it, mind you...in the country blocked by trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,157,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So the statue of David standing there naked is ok, but the man (possibly named David) standing there is not ok?

Seriously?
One is a form of artwork and one is a pervert so yes I'm serious.

7,138 posts, read 10,975,063 times
Quote:
We are all born naked. Even children have seen naked bodies. Maybe if people weren't such prudes we would see the human body as a part of nature. Did you know that in some countries there are uni sex showers and changing rooms and no one freaks out?

Seriously. OMG a penis!!!!!!! yet let little bobby play grand theft auto or call of duty. Personally I find the rampant violence on TV and in games far more offensive than seeing a human body. But then again some people get all up in arms if they teach the correct names for human genitalia in schools.

This country has some seriously misplaced concerns.
Yep, you got to love America. Where nudity is immoral and illegal, but carrying guns and shooting people for what ever reason you feel like is an absolute right. Americans hate nudity, but love violence.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:26 AM

5,683 posts, read 4,098,970 times
Quote:
And you have no control over a person playing violent video games in their own home or being naked in their own home.

He could easily have a tv in the view of the door and be playing GTA in plain view, but then there would not be a story since that is seen as perfectly fine.
stop conflating the issue with violent video games -- it's in no way relevant.

Do you believe someone should be able to throw orgies in a glass house, even if kids regularly ride their bikes up and down the street? If not, then you don't believe someone should be able to do anything they want in their house.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
but carrying guns and shooting people for what ever reason you feel like is an absolute right. Americans hate nudity, but love violence.
No one believes that.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 AM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,157,149 times
Quote:
Yep, you got to love America. Where nudity is immoral and illegal, but carrying guns and shooting people for what ever reason you feel like is an absolute right. Americans hate nudity, but love violence.
Not sure of anyone in this thread who expressed that opinion.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,121,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
So you have no concerns that children riding their bikes up and down the street would be subjected to seeing orgies? You can't possibly be serious.
Sex is natural. My kids were raised around animals, they say sex acts and birth, and death.

If it were my neighbor I would tell my kids to stay away, or if it really bothered me I would move. I had a neighbor that blared loud rap that I found offensive (horrible lyrics), I saved money and moved. Now I live on 10 acres and couldn't see in my neighbors house unless I used binoculars and can't hear what they are doing (unless they are having target practice which I sometimes join). Problem solved.

People do not have the right to not be offended by others doing things in their own home.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,220,535 times
Quote:
Americans hate nudity, but love violence.
I would say most American's hate nudity and, also, violence...but, want to be able to protect themselves.
They do 'love violence' on the screen, that's for sure!

Old 03-20-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If it was not illegal with a misdemeanor ticket...I would get it on a ballot to make it so.

I have nothing against it, mind you...in the country blocked by trees.
I agree 100%. It all comes down to what one would reasonably believe was the outcome of his or her actions, and consequently, what his or her intentions were.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Sex is natural. My kids were raised around animals, they say sex acts and birth, and death.

If it were my neighbor I would tell my kids to stay away, or if it really bothered me I would move. I had a neighbor that blared loud rap that I found offensive (horrible lyrics), I saved money and moved. Now I live on 10 acres and couldn't see in my neighbors house unless I used binoculars and can't hear what they are doing (unless they are having target practice which I sometimes join). Problem solved.

People do not have the right to not be offended by others doing things in their own home.
That's not true. You have a legal right to the quiet enjoyment of your own property. You had legal rights in the music case to make that guy stop. I once had a neighbor in an apartment who smoked like a chimney and her smoke would infiltrate my apartment. My apartment smelled like smoke. She was breaking the law, and when I brought it to the attention of the management, I was able to get out of my lease with a full deposit refund.

You shouldn't have to move because someone else is infringing on your rights. Having your children subjected to seeing orgies definitely reduces your right to quiet enjoyment of your property.

Any psychologist would laugh at your view on children seeing orgies and it being healthy. Any attorney would laugh at your view that anyone can do anything they want, so long as it's on their property.

This discussion, however, is about what should be legal and illegal, not what is currently the law. It should not be the case that an entire neighborhood should have to move if they don't want their kids to see orgies when they ride their bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events