Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,595,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife who is from Ireland pointed this out to me last night. She never liked the Tshirts that slammed her Irish heritage and perpetuated the stereotype that the Irish are a bunch of drunks. St Patricks day in America has become an excuse for many to get drunk and act like fools.

We are happy to see that people are standing up against offensive Tshirts.

Walmart

Walmart should know better than to sell these Tshirts. Wasn't it last Halloween that some Muslim people found a couple of the kids costumes offensive and Walmart pulled them from the shelves?
What is fair is fair. Irish people have a terrific sense of humour but no one and no group likes to be put down. Imagine the outrage if they had T shirts with sayings that depicted a negative stereotype of a "protective class" like black or latino people.

Good. What took you folks so long?

Old 03-20-2015, 04:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
My wife who is from Ireland pointed this out to me last night. She never liked the Tshirts that slammed her Irish heritage and perpetuated the stereotype that the Irish are a bunch of drunks. St PatrickS day in America has become an excuse for many to get drunk and act like fools.

Walmart

Walmart should know better than to sell these Tshirts. Wasn't it last Halloween that some Muslim people found a couple of the kids costumes offensive and Walmart pulled them from the shelves?
What is fair is fair. Irish people have a terrific sense of humour but no one and no group likes to be put down. Imagine the outrage if they had T shirts with sayings that depicted a negative stereotype of a "protective class" like black or latino people.

Any day that can remotely be tied to drinking and possibility of a three day weekend of partying or drinking in general has become a excuse in America to get drunk and act like fools. Either that or a "HUGE SALE". Memorial day, Labor Day, etc. It's all commercialized and for sale. Fo you really think the companies making these shirts, beer, clovers, hats and other St Patricks Day or any other holiday mumbo jumbo really give a crap about anything but the money they are making?

Lots of the people celebrating St Paddys day have no clue who he even was or what he accomplished in his life.. Most probably couldn't tell you WHAT part of his life that day celebrates. All thry know they are celebrating St Paddys day and they get to act like morons and wear green.

Ps tell your wife I apologize for all the clueless cretins out there.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:28 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,164 times
The progressive hypersensitivity of Americans continues..

Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,764 times
Quote:
My wife who is from Ireland pointed this out to me last night. She never liked the Tshirts that slammed her Irish heritage and perpetuated the stereotype that the Irish are a bunch of drunks. St Patricks day in America has become an excuse for many to get drunk and act like fools.

Walmart

I am a Russian, I can out-drink an Irishman and then go get more liquor.

I love St Paty's day, the crowd in Manhattan is drunk by lunch. .

If your a proud Irish, you should be proud enough about St Paty's day enough to even laugh at the morons.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,009 times
St Patrick's Day is a religious holiday in Ireland. It evolved into a full-out celebration of much more in the United States.

In Ireland, they dont eat corned beef and cabbages (New England Boiled Dinner) for dinner on Saint Patrick's Day. In America, people from literally all over the world eat corned beef and cabbages on St Patrick's Day.

They probably dont endeavor to wear green. In America, people in Manhattan dress all in green, and parade around at lunch time.

Everyone is probably not considered to be Irish, just because they happen to be in Ireland on St Patrick's Day. Everyone in America IS Irish on St Patrick's Day. People wear green to honor the thousands of Irish that helped build, settle, and create this great nation.

If I have a right to be annoyed that people string lights on their houses to await the arrival of Santa Clause on Christmas Day, while I and my family await the gift of Jesus Christ; then, someone's wife has a right to personally honor her homeland version of St Patrick's Day.

I can understand wanting to combat the drinking sterotype the Irish bare. Alcohol (mead) has been a part of European culture forever. They couldnt drink the water afterall. The Irish are particularly known for their whiskeys and other beverages that are unique to their history and culture. It doesnt mean that all Irish drink.

But, it would be terrible to watch an earned place in American History and Culture be pushed aside to fight a negative image that isnt altogether warranted, nor is it a total fantasy in some cases either.

I'd rather celebrate my American St Patrick's Day which has historically celebrated the contributions of the Irish to American history and culture, green beer and all. The wife is in America now, afterall.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So basically, you're so resentful over efforts to combat systematic institutionalized racism (and, by the way, just like there's no such thing as a 'protective class' - God, you're Constitutional vacuousness is showing - there is also no such thing as anti-Irish racism for the obvious reason that 'Irish' is not a race) that you're comparing things like Jim Crow and lynching and the enormous social disparaties of almost every metric between blacks and whites... with drinking green beer to excess on March 17th?

How very very small of you.
And ignorant of you. The post clearly says the woman who made the comment was from Ireland. You might do a little studying of the suffering of the Catholic Irish under Protestant British Rule for close to 2000 years. Millions starved and many more were killed. The original Ireland is still divided. This went on well into the 1970s. The discrimination against the Irish was severe, institutionalized, and matches anything seen by Blacks in the USA in the last 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281972%29

I've just touched on it. So stop the false outrage. You are only embarrassing yourself.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And ignorant of you. The post clearly says the woman who made the comment was from Ireland. You might do a little studying of the suffering of the Catholic Irish under Protestant British Rule for close to 2000 years. Millions starved and many more were killed. The original Ireland is still divided. This went on well into the 1970s. The discrimination against the Irish was severe, institutionalized, and matches anything seen by Blacks in the USA in the last 100 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_%281972%29

I've just touched on it. So stop the false outrage. You are only embarrassing yourself.
"Close to 2000 years"? More like 400 years (and that was England) but don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. Oh ... and Britain (for British rule) has only existed since 1707.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Being a good deal Irish and working on my third "Terrapin Hopsecutioner" I find the OP wonderfully funny!
Carry on.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Hey! I love St. Patrick! If he was here, I'd marry him. Wait. Is he a priest?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
The Irish never even heard of Jesus 2,000 years ago. 'The British' (by which you mean the English) didn't even exist 2,000 years ago. And there were no protestant British until about 500 years ago.

I swear, Americans and their random numbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events