Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:34 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here is a great story....and BTW, it is refreshing to read this thread...thank you OP for starting it, and please ignore the idiotic negativity....this world needs more positive stories and truth, let alone law abiding citizens....

Officer And McDonald's Employee Get AMAZING Surprise!
Great story.. this officer really made a difference and a part of the 99 percent of what happens each day.. how we care beyond the paycheck.. how we care individually for the people we come across. For this young man a transformative moment.. tell me he wont be a great citizen giving back after the outpouring of support

When I started on a good size east coast department the pay was awful... which motivated me to come west where I doubled my pay immediately.. staying with that southern California department for a whole career.. retiring from there I moved to a more rural area.. got bored.. still young enough to want to work some more and got hired by a third department.. (why? because I have a stellar work record Im proud of) the pay is low for California but the people are awesome.. in between I went to medic school.. worked for an all risk agency for a year and a half while I got my license...all so I could be a better policeman and treat injured officers in some of the operations we work.. (Special Weapons.. MET team stuff)

Im close to pulling the plug again..Im double the age of many of the "hater" posters here I imagine... not that I dont like working.. but the marijuana cowboys overrunning the place where I live has been disgusting and I really would like to leave California... it has really become a rat race here and I hate what has happened to it. I have a "retirement" gig that I could do working an EOD dog at Walt Disney... so we are looking at Florida... I think Im ready to hang up the duty belt...

I am blessed to be a policeman... I get to take charge of my destiny every shift and every time I meet someone and do a good job for them I walk away better than when I arrived. I have always trained my trainees... you never know what simple thing you might do for another human being that might change their life right now.. you may never know it,, you will probably never see them again... but it will come back tenfold

I do everything I can to mentor young people in a positive fashion that have any interest in public service for we need them now more than ever. Our police need to be the role models for the future.. god knows we as a country are losing our way,,, and the world is more dangerous than ever.. I worry more about domestic terrorism than I do about a joint... but in the same vein I feel drug dealers en mass are also domestic terrorists...

New officers coming in have to be smarter... more street savvy.. better equipped with technology.. in between they have to deal with a public that is less accepting and certainly has less respect for any order... its feels like the 70s in some way.. with the "hate the man" mentality...disdain not just for police but for order and government in general.. some of it is understandable.. some is not
Its difficult to draw young people to a life of service..,many want success instantly and want money or privilege as yet unearned.. it all happens so neatly in a one hour TV program but doesnt happen in real life.

Lets see.. somewhere about 500-600k police in the US.. Rand corp says less than 1% are involved in unnecessary use of force or misconduct..so thats about 5000 instances a year.. provided every one of those is legit..that breaks down to about 100 (serious) cases per state per year... divide that by the population and the number gets really small....should it be zero.. um.. of course.. even with every metric tried on someone people will do all the things that make them defective..uniform or no uniform.. excuse,, no,, realization.. yes

One day we will have robots responding to calls for service... Im glad Ill be dust ... what will the haters say then....

Today in the US there will be several hundred thousand calls for service.... I dont "hate" that haters but they are sorely misdirected... and I wish they would post up what they ACTUALLY do to make the world better instead of pointing shocking fingers... it is also telling that many of them engage me in the drug fueled threads that go on at CD...and I see many of them as very damaged people... and hopefully who I wont have to engage in my non digital day

St Michael watches all of us...religious or not.. I hedge my bets so Im always nice to him

Last edited by notmeofficer; 03-23-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
they tend to not back their officers...which makes it a double edge
sword.
And I think we've seen this in NYC a few months ago. We can see how comments made by the mayor feed the perception that he, as a civic leader, was not behind them in the performance of their duties.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
There you go, nice job Trooper.

The world is filled with decent, peaceful people who are law abiding citizens, then you have the stupid's, the crazies, the never shut up and the killers, you try work hard during a power shift, following your training and getting through the Knight with peace of mind, keep pushing forward after your 0700 knock of time and forget about the MVA where young kids we're killed, try to forget about the domestic call you answered, where the wife who just gotten her teeth knocked out started to scream at you for answering the call, try to go to your son's soccer game after being the first responder where a family lost there lives due to a house fire, yeah no one want's to do a job like that?? BS.

There will NEVER be a more rewarding career, (LE /Firefighter/ EMT) where your the first responder to the people in need, lives are on the line and lives need to be saved and or protected and sometimes it stay's with you. It's not the pat on the back, a simple thank you will do, it's the job, your guys / girls in the locker room, the ones who run into chaos along side of you, and the people of the community that keeps you coming back for more..

Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
notmeofficer Great story.. this officer really made a difference and a part of the 99 percent of what happens each day.. how we care beyond the paycheck.. how we care individually for the people we come across. For this young man a transformative moment.. tell me he wont be a great citizen giving back after the outpouring of support
yes, I an firmly believe most officers are in it for the same reason....

Quote:
When I started on a good size east coast department the pay was awful... which motivated me to come west where I doubled my pay immediately.. staying with that southern California department for a whole career.. retiring from there I moved to a more rural area.. got bored.. still young enough to want to work some more and got hired by a third department.. (why? because I have a stellar work record Im proud of) the pay is low for California but the people are awesome.. in between I went to medic school.. worked for an all risk agency for a year and a half while I got my license...all so I could be a better policeman and treat injured officers in some of the operations we work.. (Special Weapons.. MET team stuff)
My son worked in a pretty dangerous city for his first job...that started in the low 50's. Then he went over to Afghanistan for a while, teaching them how to be police officers...and now he is in a pretty small town, where there isn't much crime, however, there is a lot of domestic dispute calls, so you know how that worries me. He to is a good cop....his record is clean. He chose to work a lessor crime area, b/c he has a daughter, and they are now very happy where they are, however, the pay is really not so good. But, there are always trade offs.

Quote:
Im close to pulling the plug again..Im double the age of many of the "hater" posters here I imagine... not that I dont like working.. but the marijuana cowboys overrunning the place where I live has been disgusting and I really would like to leave California... it has really become a rat race here and I hate what has happened to it. I have a "retirement" gig that I could do working an EOD dog at Walt Disney... so we are looking at Florida... I think Im ready to hang up the duty belt...
well, I hope where ever you go, you are happy, and yeah, Disney sounds like a great job? But will you be happy with it...I'm guessing you have pretty much action there where you are, and I know, that was difficult for my son, to work in a much milder, quieter job?

Quote:
I am blessed to be a policeman... I get to take charge of my destiny every shift and every time I meet someone and do a good job for them I walk away better than when I arrived. I have always trained my trainees... you never know what simple thing you might do for another human being that might change their life right now.. you may never know it,, you will probably never see them again... but it will come back tenfold
yes, you are blessed....and with a great attitude....

Quote:
I do everything I can to mentor young people in a positive fashion that have any interest in public service for we need them now more than ever. Our police need to be the role models for the future.. god knows we as a country are losing our way,,, and the world is more dangerous than ever.. I worry more about domestic terrorism than I do about a joint... but in the same vein I feel drug dealers en mass are also domestic terrorists...
We're right there with you on this, in every word you couldn't be more correct!

Quote:
One day we will have robots responding to calls for service... Im glad Ill be dust ... what will the haters say then....
That is so funny you should say that, when I saw a special on TV about Drones....and thought the very same thing, someday, police officers will be robots.

Quote:
Today in the US there will be several hundred thousand calls for service.... I dont "hate" that haters but they are sorely misdirected... and I wish they would post up what they ACTUALLY do to make the world better instead of pointing shocking fingers... it is also telling that many of them engage me in the drug fueled threads that go on at CD...and I see many of them as very damaged people... and hopefully who I wont have to engage in my non digital day
yes, I agree, it is sad, and hope that changes...but citizens also have to take more responsibility to change that...all of us...we are all connected, and it is so very important, to treat everyone as an equal....meaning...educate people to work for what they want and work hard.....

Quote:
St Michael watches all of us...religious or not.. I hedge my bets so Im always nice to him
May you always be safe and happy, cuz I know your confident in what you've done up until now...so, takecarea you and your family.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
A "couple" of negative stories? Seems to me that there are at least 2-3 stories a week on the main stream news media where the obvious intention is to point out yet another example of how evil and out of control police officers are. The details of the incidents in these stories are skewed, left out, or embellished in obvious attempts to make the police officer the evil villain out to kill or injure a poor innocent who was only polishing his own halo. And that's not even to mention the hatchet job the DOJ is attempting on municipal police forces who happen to fall into DOJ nets out there casting for "racism".

I'm happy to see those stories about the good things that police officers get involved in as they carry out their duties.
yeah, I personally slammed our area news team for embellishing on a certain story and told them, if it were not for them....well, I left them have it, they were extremely one sided....and it really got me angry, for the safety of all police officers....

Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If it's so important to police officers (and it should be) that they get a bad rap because of a few bad apples, why shouldn't they weed out these bad apples themselves? If I were an officer I would be pushing for internal investigations and harsher punishments (terminations) for anything illegal, injustice, or out-of-law/authority, but call me crazy, maybe I'm just too rational for modern day officers (?).
This happens all the time. I've known a handful of officers that were terminated for making stupid decisions. One I knew was fired for slapping a cell phone out of someone's hand and breaking it. You don't hear about those stories because police departments don't put it in the news every time they fire someone, nor do private sector companies.
I've discussed the behavior of a coworker with my supervisors. Like any other profession, you can't fire someone for nothing. It usually has to be proven that they willfully made a mistake when they knew better.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Which is why I live and encourage a healthy lifestyle for my friends who are policeman.. and why I maintain friends outside police work so I can stay grounded

Lifetime vegan.. I exercise everyday ..learned yoga (from my wife) as I got older to go along with parcour before it was ever called that.. we just called it.. real world police exercise.. no alcohol..of course no drugs.. ever.. I even stay away from any self medication using OTCs.. I keep my eyes on my wife... and not others.. Ive seen too many coppers end up living in motor homes in station parking lots..miserable divorced broke and drinking.. and their careers spiral into the toilet quickly... which is why we have such a strong referral program on my department.. carrot and stick approach... holistically go get help.. or you will be ordered to do so. The temptations are strong but if you arent predisposed to them they melt away..

You lived an entire career along with your husband.... for behind every policeman is usually a great family to support them.. its a total team effort.. police haters cant understand this at all... the "blue fraternity" extends out to every person who works in any public safety position to some extent... if you have to deal with the public.. you get it... if you have to deal with someone who deals with the public you get it.. and if you do it successfully...not only do you get it.. but you worked hard at getting it right...

The haters out themselves... Id rather have them be asshats here then deal with them as whackjobs on the street where options for dialogue arent going to go as well for them.. and if they're truly crazy Id rather not ever meet them

You are part of the positive everyday stories about police

Thank you
Lifetime vegan?! Gotta have some meat. I eat a high protein diet. I stay active and healthy as well, and I don't hang out with people from work. Almost all of my friends have boring desk jobs, and I like it that way. The conversations aren't always about policing like when I'm at work.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

I am just wondering what "notmeofficer" means.
Pretty sure it comes from a pretty common response most cops get when interacting with people......

Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Officer shot suspect killed

Cottonwood Arizona... Walmart.. dateline ..last night

Sources multiple.. Google for details

8 officers from various departments responded to a call of Walmart employees being assaulted by numerous people . Upon arrival ten people of an extended family immediately began fighting with the officers shooting one in the leg. Fire was returned and the shooter was stopped. Every officer that responded was injured in the disturbance... described as a mini riot. All the officers are expected to recover but the gunshot prognosis police victims ability for full duty is unknown. All the members of the extended family were arrested on numerous different charges with multiple victims from Walmart and law enforcement

Just another day....

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
If it's so important to police officers (and it should be) that they get a bad rap because of a few bad apples, why shouldn't they weed out these bad apples themselves? If I were an officer I would be pushing for internal investigations and harsher punishments (terminations) for anything illegal, injustice, or out-of-law/authority, but call me crazy, maybe I'm just too rational for modern day officers (?).
Far more officers are terminated by internal investigation initiated by other officers than, well, any other source of investigation. Most people do not realize that when an officer is terminated by internal investigation, the departments are generally legally barred from even saying that the officer has been terminated, much less why and how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events