Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times

Advertisements

After the amount of negative stories heaped on city data by several posters about the "bad" things police do I thought I would start a thread showing the good things we do... my sources will generally be regular media not uber-left wing sites... and the stories I post will be confirmed or have endings unlike the crap that gets spewed by what I term.."police haters"... many whom have agendas driven by motivations we cannot hope to vet on the internet. Im sure they will post up their vile invective smearing all of us serving in the United States.. which is actually a good thing and shows regular folks what we face every second dealing with sick people on the street. There are roughly five hundred thousand police officers serving in the United States.. maybe another hundred thousand reserve and part timers

Ill update this with contemporary events...most of the information comes from the "officer down" bulletins that are on our briefing board (so we can send money.. donate blood, or do a hundred other things for their families)
The purpose of this thread is to show the overwhelming majority of us love to serve... unselfish service is something that is lacking today in the world

Navajo nation Police officer makes the ultimate sacrifice

Navajo officer killed, 2 others injured during pursuit

Alabama officer dies helping extricate two girls from a car accident

Coworkers talk about life of Pell City officer who died while on - MyFoxAL.com - FOX6 WBRC Birmingham, AL

El Paso police officer working funeral procession off duty struck and killed (using his motor)

El Paso police officer killed Wednesday identified - El Paso Times

Jonesboro rookie killed in traffic accident on way to prowler call

JONESBORO, Ga.: Police chief: Clayton County officer killed in car accident | State News | Macon.com

Bay City police officer shot by burglary suspect multiple times returns fire, suspect eventually dies

Shooting wounds officer, suspect in Bay City

Deputy killed in car accident after being struck by motorist

Funeral Tuesday for Ky. police officer killed in crash

US Marshal shot and killed while looking for murder suspect

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2144406

Georgia officer ambushed and killed at shots fired call

Cops: Man ambushes, kills Fulton County, Georgia police officer - CBS News

Suspect finally gets sentenced for murdering two Alaska troopers in 2013 killing (included because the sentencing is a contemporary March event)
Nathanial Kangas, 20, indicted in killings of two Alaska troopers - CBS News

This is just March... I didnt put all the injured officers or all the shootings in the mix..or any from my department...

It is a privilege to serve and to say .... we care,,, and thanks to all of you that "get it".. and to those of you that have personally written to me in some form... it makes every second of heartache worth it.. and to the dispatchers who have written.. you are angels on the other end of the radio....

Again.. thank you

Last edited by notmeofficer; 03-21-2015 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times
You must be a police officer. So, there are a couple of negative stories about police and we must now beat the drum for the good guys! Nothing wrong with doing both. Cops who dishonor the oath of duty = HUMANS behaving badly.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:16 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
You must be a police officer. So, there are a couple of negative stories about police and we must now beat the drum for the good guys! Nothing wrong with doing both. Cops who dishonor the oath of duty = HUMANS behaving badly.
You can't be serious. This area is flooded with anti-cop threads. Nice to see a thread about some of the good they do.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM

828 posts, read 907,408 times
/takes a long, deep breath

Is that fresh air I'm breathing?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Great idea. There are many more Police who do their jobs right, than there are those who don't, and that stands true no matter where you serve. There are also many more people who appreciate the Jobs Police do, and don't hate all for the actions of a few. More power to you.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Can you please explain the origin of your username?

For the record: I am not a "police hater." I have the utmost respect for everyone who serves their community, and that includes police officers. Cops have to deal with some of the most vile people on Earth, and in a decent-sized city, they do it every day.

I am just wondering what "notmeofficer" means.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Great idea. There are many more Police who do their jobs right, than there are those who don't, and that stands true no matter where you serve. There are also many more people who appreciate the Jobs Police do, and don't hate all for the actions of a few. More power to you.
I know the eastern shore well... Sir,, and while I wont say where I work currently I did my young and dumb time with MSP.. 495 @ Rt 1 Baracks....and lived in College Park... I miss Maryland girls but not the cold butt winters~~~

Thanks

Old 03-21-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Can you please explain the origin of your username?

For the record: I am not a "police hater." I have the utmost respect for everyone who serves their community, and that includes police officers. Cops have to deal with some of the most vile people on Earth, and in a decent-sized city, they do it every day.

I am just wondering what "notmeofficer" means.
Its the first thing I hear out of the mouths of most everyone I meet

Thanks

Old 03-21-2015, 09:49 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
It's a shame that a small percentage of bad cops tarnish the reputation of the hundreds of thousands of good officers.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
You can post all the "good" stories you like. It doesn't make up for the fact that far too many people in your profession are completely out of control.

If you're trying to gain sympathy by listing a bunch of cops injured or killed in the line of duty, remember that no one made you sign up for this kind of work. No kidding it's dangerous work. That doesn't excuse all the trigger-happy cops who abuse their power every day.

Stop harassing people. Stop militarizing your police forces. Stop busting down doors in the middle of the night to ruin the lives of some person who smokes a joint. Start fighting actual crime. Then maybe you'll earn some respect.

I just posted elsewhere on CD a story about a guy in L.A. who had his iPad stolen from his car. He was able to track its location with another device and called the cops for help. He told them, basically, "This is the house it's in. Can you go in and get it?" He was told the cops were too busy and they'd get back to him. All he ever got was a letter offering him a special police discount on "The Club" for his car.

So now cops are "too busy" to do the job they're actually supposed to be doing. Probably because they're all out being revenue generators to justify their own existence -- hiding behind a tree or a building like a vulture so they can write a ticket to someone for going 5 mph over the speed limit or not wearing a seatbelt. Tell your fellow cops to take their focus off nonsense harassment like that -- things that do nothing but generate revenue for the cops -- and to get back focused on fighting actual crime. Then we'll talk.

Last edited by Adrian71; 03-21-2015 at 11:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events