Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,764,998 times

Advertisements

Sorry all, but I'm terribly behind in reading this thread.

Can you please clarify/explain:

How was it verified that it was the co-pilot, and not pilot, who left the cockpit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,275,074 times
Cockpit voice recorder. The pilot turned control over to the co-pilot prior to leaving to use the lavatory.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,764,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm also afraid of flying. The logical part of my brain understands that the drive to the airport is much more dangerous, but I still break into cold sweat on taxi every time I fly. It's totally irrational. The brain is weird.
I too fear flying,although it has gotten better.

I think the fear of falling to a timely, inevitable death, is what frightens me most...IT's a fear of complete and utter helplessness...knowing that no matter how much I hold on to my oxygen mask, no matter how much I tighten my seatbelt, no matter how much I pray...the plane will continue to descend at an uncontrollable speed and will eventually hit something...and that ultimately, I (probably) will die.

It's a horrible fear and is something I would never wish on my worst enemies.

That type of fear just doesn't exist with motor vehicle collisions...

May God be with the souls of those who have perished.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM

171 posts, read 325,941 times
Sure hope autopsy is done on EACH pilot/co-pilot.....maybe one was put to sleep or something, prior to locking the flight deck door....how are they proving which voice was the pilot or co-pilot....maybe things were set into motion prior to ONE of them leaving the controls...maybe they were pretending to be so upset over the door being locked. Can this be proved somehow?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,275,074 times
What is left to autopsy? The medical examiners will have a difficult time enough just identifying the tiny bits of remains that are recovered.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,191,168 times
This is why flying completely freaks me out. UGH Horrible story. I must read to catch up on it

Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,047,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
Sure hope autopsy is done on EACH pilot/co-pilot.....maybe one was put to sleep or something, prior to locking the flight deck door....how are they proving which voice was the pilot or co-pilot....maybe things were set into motion prior to ONE of them leaving the controls...maybe they were pretending to be so upset over the door being locked. Can this be proved somehow?
You do realize that they will have extreme difficulty finding the co-pilot, let alone a large enough portion of his remains to do an autopsy.

The best way they can piece together this horror story is to find something in that man's home. Some clues to help investigators understand why he deliberately crashed that plane and killed 149 good, innocent people.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,459,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Right. That caused him to lock the door?
I assumed they normally locked the door?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Such questions are unnecessary. The plane can't normally be driven into the ground. Too many automatic safety systems prevent it. It has to be placed completely into manual operation and then flown that way.
OH, I did not realize that it was so hard to crash a plane. It is amazing there are any crashes at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Are you not listening to or reading the news? They are telling you what happened. How is it you're not believing the experts? You honestly believe this guy locked the cockpit door, had a stroke & then by some weird twist of fate maneuvered the plane into a controlled descent into the mountains? You really believe he just happened to have a medical episode at the same time the pilot left to use the bathroom? Oh, don't forget he was also able to push that one button too in his stroked out state. My, what a mighty coincidence!!
I am not sure what I believe. I KNOW I do not have to make a decision on it within 48 hours because it will change nothing. What if he did not have stroke but was for some reason delusional?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Think what you will but he had to reset the locking mechanism on the cockpit door as well. The evidence points to him being fully in control of what he was doing.

FYI - the experts have ascertained he had to perform certain acts to cause the descent to proceed as it did. i.e. operating certain lever/s
The locking seems normal to me, which is why I believe the pilot knocked lightly when he came back. So that means nothing to me at all.

I just heard on the news that he set the autopilot to 100 feet off the ground so now I believe it was intentional. I just have no reason to jump to conclusions. It changes nothing.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,413,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
OH, I did not realize that it was so hard to crash a plane. It is amazing there are any crashes at all. .
In proportion of the number of commercial flights each day, it's exceedingly low. And it's much safer now because of the sophistication of the planes, which on their own, to warn and avoid collision.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,007,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I assumed they normally locked the door?

OH, I did not realize that it was so hard to crash a plane. It is amazing there are any crashes at all.

I am not sure what I believe. I KNOW I do not have to make a decision on it within 48 hours because it will change nothing. What if he did not have stroke but was for some reason delusional?

The locking seems normal to me, which is why I believe the pilot knocked lightly when he came back. So that means nothing to me at all.

I just heard on the news that he set the autopilot to 100 feet off the ground so now I believe it was intentional. I just have no reason to jump to conclusions. It changes nothing.
The pilot wasn't knocking lightly....I can't imagine what he went through knowing the plane was going down and he couldn't stop it. The co pilot knew enough to reset the locking mechanism also. The only thing I have read about his background was he was depressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events