Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:45 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why do so few have a need to find an excuse for this co-pilot? He murdered 149 people.
Because while some facts are absolute, others are not.

Just to play devil's advocate, in situations like this when a plane goes down and everyone dies, and no one clearly can give a personal account of what happened, all the world needs is one voice screaming "It's terrorism," or "Someone crashed the plane intentionally!!" for it to begin echoing around the world, and for others to join the bandwagon...without anyone being open to other possibilities.

No one is looking for excuses...

From what I've read on here, others are open to other possibilities, which is key to any tragedy such as this. It's very easy to take a few facts and go with what the mass majority is saying and believe that this guy killed all of those people. And who knows?...he may very well have...But what if he didnt? What if his poor parents, who are now his legacy, are left to live their lives in shame and disgrace...forever living with the burden that their son had murdered 149 people, when in fact he didnt?

I personally don't have a dog in this fight. I'm just reading everything and listening...Nevertheless, my heart goes out to the family members of those who have died. What a horrible, horrible tragedy.

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-27-2015 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:51 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
The Germanwings co-pilot blamed for deliberately crashing Flight 9525 and delivering 149 others to their deaths underwent psychiatric treatment for a "serious depressive episode" six years ago, according to a report.

Andreas Guenter Lubitz spent a year and a half in psychiatric treatment, German newspaper Bild reported. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.2163009

Old 03-27-2015, 06:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
This is interesting.

Was the pilot going to the rest room a predictable act?

Did the co-pilot have an alternative plan, in the event that the pilot did not leave to presumably use the lavoratory?

Had they flown on flights together before, and had this particular pilot always gotten up and left after reaching altitude?

I'm just thinking about this...
I feel it was probably a crime of opportunity. If the pilot had not left he probably would have continued as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why do so few have a need to find an excuse for this co-pilot? He murdered 149 people.
Just because you want to examine the situation and rule out all other possibilities it does not mean you are trying to find an excuse. I am not sure about you but to me this is a very puzzling and disturbing incident. It is abnormal and the i's are not dotted and the t's are not crossed. Like if the guy was killing himself why did he not say anything? Sure it is possible, and because this happened is as likely as speaking when killing yourself, but I find it odd. 8 minutes not to even say "Sorry Mom" or give a reason.

I am not saying that not speaking proves anything. I am saying I find it creepy.

Let me ask you a question: Why do you need to jump on a reason and rule out all other possibilities so soon?

To me that is odd as well.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,413,911 times
Just a thought,

How can so many positions require a psychological eval and mental health assessment to carry a fire arm before and after training, positions of responsibility and yet this guy who has Great Responsibility and who had many of Red Flags of mental health issues, I might add, from years ago to the present, in a position that requires the safety and well being of hundreds, continues to get a pass and a green light to perform his duties?

Also-

Once we find out the "Actionable Intel" today that was found at his house, we will know more. This guy killed 150 people, call it what you will, the fact remains, innocent lives we're lost in a moment and act of terror.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:52 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,580,649 times
It appears that the troubled young copilot decided to kill himself and take others with him. This is a very sad event. He apparently cleared a psychiatric evaluation. What can you do in such circumstances?

Old 03-27-2015, 07:03 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Captain leaves cockpit. Co-pilot feels immediately ill, severe pain in his head. He begins descent. He can't speak. He reaches to unlock cabin door
. The pain was the onset of a brain aneurysm. He instead locks door. Ever witness some with a brain aneurysm? Ugly thing but they don't die immediately, they breathe on for a while. He sits in his seat, incapacitated. Plane eventually crashes.
Except that it doesn't work that way.

Overriding the plane's safety systems to fly like that is more complicated than flipping a switch. Furthermore the door lock is more sophisticated. There is a keypad outside which can be used to unlock the door. It can be overridden but there it takes specific action to do that and I believe they said can only be initiated for a certain time after the keypad is used.

Someone with an aneurysm will not be doing these things. (And while I didn't personally see it, a co-worker in my office died on the spot from one. Terrible event. )

Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
How come MH17 had bodies dabbled here and there, but in this one everything was in pieces?
I have no idea and this is ONLY a guess: if MH17 was shot down out of the sky, it was a smaller missile entering a bigger target. Which was somewhat reversed here - the plane is smaller than the mountain & thus the impact greater and immediate.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Except that it doesn't work that way.

Overriding the plane's safety systems to fly like that is more complicated than flipping a switch. Furthermore the door lock is more sophisticated. There is a keypad outside which can be used to unlock the door. It can be overridden but there it takes specific action to do that and I believe they said can only be initiated for a certain time after the keypad is used.

Someone with an aneurysm will not be doing these things. (And while I didn't personally see it, a co-worker in my office died on the spot from one. Terrible event. )
And as we know every such event is exactly the same. EXACTLY.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
And as we know every such event is exactly the same. EXACTLY.
Never said it was. Furthermore the party I was responding to asked if anyone had seen it and this was my response to that. The parentheses should have been a clue that I didn't mean my acnedote to apply to what I said about the cockpit. Obviously you failed to get the context/concept.

IMO, you would serve yourself better by sticking to the topic instead of trying to discredit others with false assumptions.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Never said it was. Furthermore the party I was responding to asked if anyone had seen it and this was my response to that. The parentheses should have been a clue that I didn't mean my acnedote to apply to what I said about the cockpit. Obviously you failed to get the context/concept.

IMO, you would serve yourself better by sticking to the topic instead of trying to discredit others with false assumptions.
OH no, I get the concept. "I didn't see it but someone I know really well did and......" It is the start to almost every urban legend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events