Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 02:03 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

Back in the 70s many big cities elected black mayors, councilmen, school board members, etc. The idea was that with an ALL black government education would eventually improve and that the inner city folks would get out of the hole.

It did not happen: Having a black government did not help the poor because those in charge were lining their pockets as politicians of all colors do. For example mayor Marion Barry hire one of his concubines to teach inner city girls how to do their fingernails and gave her a juicy government contract. MArion Barry was a crack head and is still a legend among DC voters and was known as "mayor for life".

Obama won and black folks are no better. It seems Bill Clinton was more black than Obama.

How can the inner city folks be helped? I see a devastating situation with no real solution.

I think in the end this is all about FAMILY. Those folks with great families do well regardless of skin color. There is no FAMILY in the inner city.

Toya Graham the woman that beat up her son after she caught him rioting has been called "mother of the year". Really? If her son was rioting she obviously failed as a parent. Toya is an unwed mother with six kids and I suspect her kids will not get out of the hole. They will be Baltimore inner city kids destined to fail.

So what can be done?

Great kids often have a good FAMILY with great parents. How can we give a good FAMILY to the inner city kids? Forget the adults, there are goners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:06 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
The solution is that African Americans in the inner city take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their own lives.

You are correct...we have blacks govern themselves in places like Detroit. We have had now generations of affirmative action, desegregation busing, head start...every kind of social experimentation you can name. We have had an ever widening and expanding social safety net that includes free education, public housing, EBT cards, AFDC, medicare/Obamacare subsidies, Obamaphones, etc. We have had all kinds of feel good initiatives such as black history month. All this in the context of a country that provides everyone with a rule of law and economic opportunity undreamed of in any sub-Saharan African country.

And the end result...

....blacks in South Carolina do more poorly on English exams than ESL students. A few years back it was found that in Detroit, almost 70% of students scored on math tests as if they were guessing.

Blacks are watching Asians and Hispanics who come here often not knowing the language, often with nothing but the shirts on their back, surpass them.

The reason is clear...no one can force a people strive. They have to decide to do it for themselves. This is going to mean blacks making the decision for themselves to pay attention in class, stay away from drugs, negotiate problems rather than use violence, and abstain for unprotected sex to avoid both AIDS and unwanted pregnancy. This is going to mean blacks owning their problems, and not blaming imaginary boogymen from 150 years ago. This is going to take personal responsibility, and nothing else will do.

The Japanese rebounded from having atomic bombs dropped on them. The Germans rebounded from having their country invaded from two sides and partitioned. The Jews have rebounded from at least three attempts at genocide that I know of to become the most affluent and highest IQ people in the world. People get over their problems. But it takes effort and personal responsibility.

Last edited by cachibatches; 05-02-2015 at 05:15 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 06:50 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
So what can be done?
- Stop subsidizing births to women of the underclass.

- Stop importing a new underclass to compete with the old one.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:56 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
The Japanese rebounded from having atomic bombs dropped on them. The Germans rebounded from having their country invaded from two sides and partitioned. The Jews have rebounded from at least three attempts at genocide that I know of to become the most affluent and highest IQ people in the world. People get over their problems. But it takes effort and personal responsibility.
IQ isn't really something you can get through effort and personal responsibility. Germans, Japanese and Jews had pretty high average IQs to start with. And that's a major reason why they formed the kinds of societies that could bounce back from the brink of destruction.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:26 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
The answer comes down to personal respect and responsibility. When I was in my late teens early 20's I worked in a pretty rough city and had black friends a few of whom were part timers that were still in school. A handful of these guys were typical thugs who got high whenever they could, would steal anything not bolted down and liked to drive around with a prostitute in the back seat taking turns with her. There were also a few of these guys from the same hood that worked hard, didn't steal, smoke weed or drink. One of them went on to join the Marines.

The point is it comes down to personal responsibility. I thought when Obama was elected that kids of colour would be amazed and maybe aspire to be something better than an aspiring rapper, smoking weed and selling drugs on the street corner but no.

The lure of the street is a strong one and the lure of easy money selling drugs is too much to overcome. Why would a kid get a job at Mcdonalds for minimum wage when he can make piles more money doing something illegal?

Who are the heroes to black youth? For some it is Obama but for most it is rappers who get rich rapping about "the life" on the street which is often violent and glorified through their music. They also look up to sports stars. So many of these kids see music and sports as a way out of the ghetto but it is only a small fraction that make it and the rest have no back up plan.
School is not cool but the street is.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:44 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times
I just wish the cycle of blacks voting democrat would stop. LBJ and his War on Poverty sure worked as he really intended it to.

A lot of blacks have a tendency of wanting to be separate but equal. Isn't that what people like MLK fought against? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:51 AM

950 posts, read 924,870 times
It doesn't help when the president of the United States says about a young black thug ( Trayvon Martin )............."if I had a son ,he would look just like Trayvon"

When the President of the United States wants to make a street thug his hypothetical son, we got trouble !

Old 05-02-2015, 08:59 AM

18,395 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
It doesn't help when the president of the United States says about a young black thug ( Trayvon Martin )............."if I had a son ,he would look just like Trayvon"

When the President of the United States wants to make a street thug his hypothetical son, we got trouble !
if obama had a son he would look like trayvon. we "got trouble" already when every month a black man is killed by police. people who get questioned or arrested do not deserve to be killed by police. the courts decide punishment not the police.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
I wonder if this is all about Memes:

Quote:
A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.[3]
WIKI

Inner city folks may have slaves as ancestors. In the their past there was never such a thing as a thriving FAMILY. At the end of the day a human is the synthesis of his ancestry. And memes are very powerful and clearly transmitted from generation to generation.

An American of Italian origin shows characteristics that are different from an American of German origin even if both are born and raised in the USA and have never been in the OLD country. An Italian may show behaviors that have been passed down for many generations and these behaviors are different from another American of German origin.

That is why black folks from Africa with no prior history of slavery do better than American blacks with a history of slavery. The issue is how to change that scenario.

My son in law is a homicide detective in Baltimore and blacks in the drug trade kill each other every single day. I asked my son in law how who was replacing the dead bodies. He stated there was always someone and I can see how the kids of Toya Graham may be waiting in the wings to replace those that die in the street.

What can be done????????????

Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Back in the 70s many big cities elected black mayors, councilmen, school board members, etc. The idea was that with an ALL black government education would eventually improve and that the inner city folks would get out of the hole.

It did not happen: Having a black government did not help the poor because those in charge were lining their pockets as politicians of all colors do. For example mayor Marion Barry hire one of his concubines to teach inner city girls how to do their fingernails and gave her a juicy government contract. MArion Barry was a crack head and is still a legend among DC voters and was known as "mayor for life".

Obama won and black folks are no better. It seems Bill Clinton was more black than Obama.

How can the inner city folks be helped? I see a devastating situation with no real solution.

I think in the end this is all about FAMILY. Those folks with great families do well regardless of skin color. There is no FAMILY in the inner city.

Toya Graham the woman that beat up her son after she caught him rioting has been called "mother of the year". Really? If her son was rioting she obviously failed as a parent. Toya is an unwed mother with six kids and I suspect her kids will not get out of the hole. They will be Baltimore inner city kids destined to fail.

So what can be done?

Great kids often have a good FAMILY with great parents. How can we give a good FAMILY to the inner city kids? Forget the adults, there are goners!
This statement alone shows you don’t know what you’re talking about. It’s comical! First off, blacks as a group are doing much better we were under the last presidency. And Bill Clinton is a white man. Saying he’s “more black” than Obama is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events