Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
An adult calling a 13-year-old girl a **** is far more than just not being PC. The outrage was absolutely warranted. I agree that she's being quite gracious, but the university made the right more. Playing for their team is a privilege.
i completely agree. This has nothing to do with being PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:06 PM

50 posts, read 79,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture priority View Post
I'm really getting tired of people saying "PC this" and "PC that" in order to ignore the stupidity of morons. An adult saying that to a 13 yr old? What a joke of a 'man.'
He didn't say anything to the girl. He let his guard down, goofing with his buddies, trying to be funny. I highly doubt he meant to use '****' in a sexual manner ... The girl is now a public figure, this sort of thing comes with the territory and she seems to get it. The rest of you don't. I could only imagine some of the 'offensive' things the holier than thou on this forum utter without thinking ... I wonder if it would have been such a big deal if he tweeted something along the lines of "Tom Brady looks like a lesbian"?
The biggest joke of this story is the president of the university being "deeply saddened." Really? Deeply saddened? Give me a break.

#FAKE OUTRAGE

Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Who in their right mind would call a 13 year old girl that? WTH was he "thinking"?

He's an idiot and that's about it.
I don't disagree.

Quote:
Yes, he should lose his livelihood. There are mistakes in life that you can only make once. If he's allowed to slide for this, what's next?
He's not sliding, I outlined a suitable punishment and rehabilitation that doesn't take his entire life away.

Quote:
What are those sexual harassment and social media courses and an apology going to do? He has something wrong with him, something deep inside.

Good people do not do things like this, not even as a "mistake."
"Good people" are not perfect and never will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I disagree. If his Twitter was hacked, he should make his case and have due process. Assuming it wasn't, I don't think this is a case of a simple "slip up." Calling a 13 year-old girl a sl*t on a public forum is more than enough cause to kick someone off a baseball team.

This isn't his livelihood, btw.
I think the punishment was inappropriate for the crime. He's a classless jock. Suspend him, make him take rehabilitative measures, then give him a second chance. We shouldn't kill people,s entire future in this country over a freaking tweet.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:19 PM

50 posts, read 79,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I understand your point, and to some degree agree with your general premise(despite your poor example of sleeping with the bosses wife).
My point is that when powerful forces can align against you just because you are not PC, it has the same effect of the government doing the same, short of incarceration.
If one cannot get or keep a job based on what he or she thinks or says on their own time, it is not freedom of thought or speech. While the Constitution only addresses government involvement, the lines are becoming very blurred in that regard.
This becomes more evident when the federal government will inject itself into local issues by bringing "civil rights investigations" for those who dare to not be politically correct.
Heck just the other day the president of the United States praised U of OK for expelling students for a racist chant.
One wonders if he would have supported universities expelling students doing anti-cop anti-white chants on campus recently. We of course will never know because universities are bastions of PC, so the students were not even slapped on the wrist.
Are you saying freedom of speech isn't for all?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Milk View Post
Are you saying freedom of speech isn't for all?
Freedom of speech is a BS concept in itself imo. I certainly know that I don't have "freedom of speech". It's just a leash that when the powers that be at any moment will yank and cut off your head. That isn't freedom. It's an allowance.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Calling a little girl a 'sl <insert missing vowel here> t' projects a certain 'anti-female' mentality. Wearing a uniform in connection with what you say projects that the institution behind that uniform supports this negative view of females, and little girls who play baseball. This college may not wish to have their female students disenroll, or, any prospective female enrollees pass them over because of the derogatory comment.

What was this 'college-ball' moron thinking?? For its own sake, this school of 'higher learning' did the right thing.

As others have said, Mo'ne is a classy little lady, while Castelberry showed no class as all.

My status says: "When I speak I only represent myself - not my employer! "

My employer mandated that this disclaimer be a part of any use of social media, which includes this 'anonymous' forum.

This is so that if I post something that goes against the mission of my employer, BOTH of our rights are protected - the employee's freedom of speech, as well as, the employer's right not be associated with what each and every employee may say on social media. Even if the school does not reinstate Castelberry, they should teach their students to do the same.

It protects jocks/students rights to say anything that pops into their head, while not associating it with the overall mentality of any institution.

+1 Mo'ne for being a big enough person to request this person be given a second chance.

Sadly, many adults - even those in seemingly 'powerful' positions - aren't even capable of that.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 AM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
so you don't find a grown man calling a 14 year old girl a **** outrageous?
Of course it's "outrageous". So are the many things people say and do every day.

25 years ago we didn't scream for people to lose their jobs and careers and have their entire life ruined over something stupid they said. Today? Everyone is looking for any and every reason to be outraged. It's stupid. It's the politically correct

Do I think this kid should be punished? Absolutely.

Do I think he should be kicked off the team permanently? Absolutely not.

Just like I don't believe someone should lose their job. Punished or reprimanded? Yes. Deal with it and move on.

If the kid didn't learn his lesson and does something similar again? Then there are tougher consequences.

Again, this teenage girl gets that. Yet so many hand wringers in the outrage crowd on here (who are not affected by this at all) still think they have to inject their political correctness BS into it. LOL. Crazy

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 AM

377 posts, read 670,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I don't even know where to begin
I hope your Employer need sees this psot

lol you are obviously one of those self righteous a-holes I was referring to earlier. And your grammar/spelling could use some work too...

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

377 posts, read 670,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Milk View Post
He didn't say anything to the girl. He let his guard down, goofing with his buddies, trying to be funny. I highly doubt he meant to use '****' in a sexual manner ... The girl is now a public figure, this sort of thing comes with the territory and she seems to get it. The rest of you don't. I could only imagine some of the 'offensive' things the holier than thou on this forum utter without thinking ... I wonder if it would have been such a big deal if he tweeted something along the lines of "Tom Brady looks like a lesbian"?
The biggest joke of this story is the president of the university being "deeply saddened." Really? Deeply saddened? Give me a break.

#FAKE OUTRAGE

EXACTLY!!!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Although it was definitely not the worst thing someone could've said about someone/something, that's not the point.

Maybe when some of you actually are in a position of authority or privilege, then you'll actually understand that, no matter how PC it may be, there are things you cannot simply say or do, because it doesn't not represent your brand in a positive light. Seldom is the individual bigger than the brand, and the reputation of the brand is always going to take precedence.

I can guarantee you he called her this out of envy, not out of anything sexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events