Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Ever heard of a joke, sarcasm, mocking, exaggerating? You've never added color (color commentary) to your comments to get a point across or express how strongly you feel. People go to a university to take classes not for the school to control what a student says or who he dates or who he marries or where he works or where he lives or what he does. It is a very slippery slope.

This only makes the news because the girl is black. If the girl were white no one would know about it just like the media doesn't say that 90% of the crime involving whites and blacks is black on white. Or that whites are victims of police abuse more than blacks. I'm sure hundreds of thousands of black students call people sl$@s online but they aren't persecuted by their schools.

If you looked at every social media account of every student at any school, someone is going to be offended by what one says. These should not be school issues. These are personal issues.

Businesses on the other hand are more directly affected by what an employee says online because they can easily lose customers. One student out of thousands or a hundred thousand doesn't really sway or have ramifications for a school. A school different than a business. Although I wish employers stuck up for their employees and said they may not agree with what this employee said but they are taking a stand for freedom of thought, speech and expression and taking a stand against extremism of the thought police. I'd give my business to,a company that stands up for free speech versus one that silences it.
And once again, someone non-black brings up race. Y'all just can't help yourselves.

This has nothing to do with race, but please, show me those statistics about all those black-on-white name calling crimes that go ignored by the MSM. I'd laugh at you if I didn't know some of you believe the you spew.

Go on Twitter and call a 13-year old white girl a **** and let it go viral and HR catch wind of it and see what happens to your status with your current employer.

Pathetic how some of you think free speech makes you above reproach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:01 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
But he is wearing the university uniform in the photo attached to his quote.
He made the quote about the university by how and where he posted it.
He's representing himself as a baseball player....or maybe he just thought he looked cute in that picture and happened to be wearing his baseball clothing. It's not like his Twitter is a collaboration between himself and the school. As I said, the whole "representative" thing is ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Every word they say on SOCIAL MEDIA is a representation of the university or company. Not really a difficult thing to understand, really.
How so? Who makes that distinction? Do schools come out and say that athletes are mouthpieces for the school as a whole? It sounds like a Pope/Vatican/Catholicism relationship instead of simply a kid that attends a school. Why cap "social media"?

If anything, schools should come out and say something like "We respect the right of our students to speak freely, but everything said by our students is not a representation of our school as a whole".

Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 PM

50 posts, read 79,111 times
Quote:
Every word they say on SOCIAL MEDIA is a representation of the university or company. Not really a difficult thing to understand, really.
That's one of the dumbest things I ever read.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 PM

50 posts, read 79,111 times
Quote:
And once again, someone non-black brings up race. Y'all just can't help yourselves.

This has nothing to do with race, but please, show me those statistics about all those black-on-white name calling crimes that go ignored by the MSM. I'd laugh at you if I didn't know some of you believe the you spew.

Go on Twitter and call a 13-year old white girl a **** and let it go viral and HR catch wind of it and see what happens to your status with your current employer.

Pathetic how some of you think free speech makes you above reproach.
'Feltdesigner' was the first to interject race into the discussion.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
How so? Who makes that distinction? Do schools come out and say that athletes are mouthpieces for the school as a whole? It sounds like a Pope/Vatican/Catholicism relationship instead of simply a kid that attends a school. Why cap "social media"?

If anything, schools should come out and say something like "We respect the right of our students to speak freely, but everything said by our students is not a representation of our school as a whole".
Because rarely, is the individual bigger than the organization or institution. Calling a 13-year old a **** is so asinine, I can't believe you're even questioning it. There's this thing called a Code of Contuct and being a student athlete is a privilege, not a right. When you are in that position, you are held at a higher standard, period. It's pretty simple stuff.

Like I said, send a tweet out calling a co-worker's child a derogatory term and see what your employer does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Milk View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I ever read.
That really speaks volumes about you and where you are in your life. I'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:14 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Free speech in this country is really crumbling. What you say outside of the classroom is not the business of the school. And even in the classroom, whatever happened to academic freedom to express oneself. All these colleges and even lower schools are restricting free discourse and basically telling students what to think and what to say.
I don't think you understand what "free speech" means. It has nothing to do with social repercussions for your words. It only means that the government cannot limit your freedom of speech.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Because rarely, is the individual bigger than the organization or institution. Calling a 13-year old a **** is so asinine, I can't believe you're even questioning it.
18, 19, 20 year olds say dumb things ALL THE TIME. If we were to hold every college student to the same standard, the number of people in college would probably fall by 70%. Remember, college is basically putting a pause on the real world - most college students aren't too far removed from throwing spit balls when there's a substitute teacher. Oh but suddenly when one of these kiddies says something dumb on dat der Twitter they are suddenly representatives of entire student body and institution of higher learning. Heck - lets get the UN involved - he's a representative of the United States considering he has citizenship.

Quote:
There's this thing called a Code of Contuct and being a student athlete is a privilege, not a right. When you are in that position, you are held at a higher standard, period. It's pretty simple stuff.
And why is that? Is it because we live in a society where outrage is the soup de jour. If anyone says something we don't like, we turn our outrage (fake) at anyone connected to them in order to better our odds of getting revenge. Oh, -little school I've never heard of- if you aren't going to ruin this kid's life than you must support calling 13 year olds bad names. And yeah, let's pretend that everyone would be equally outraged if he called some random 13 year old a name. Reality check: no one would care.

I've mentioned it before, but I call this "reverse bullying". You've got millions of bleeding hearts just waiting on someone to slip up and when they do, the crowds band together and yell from the highest mountain tops until they get vengeance plus a little extra.

Quote:
Like I said, send a tweet out calling a co-worker's child a derogatory term and see what your employer does.
But this would be a situation that could directly cause tension in the work place.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
18, 19, 20 year olds say dumb things ALL THE TIME. If we were to hold every college student to the same standard, the number of people in college would probably fall by 70%. Remember, college is basically putting a pause on the real world - most college students aren't too far removed from throwing spit balls when there's a substitute teacher.
Most kids grow out of throwing spitballs by the 5th grade. If you're old enough to vote, you're old enough to act like an adult and should be held to the same standards of conduct as an adult.

I see you chose your username well.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
18, 19, 20 year olds say dumb things ALL THE TIME.
But they don't call thirteen year old girls "sl*ts" on a public forum.

The increase in outrage over immoral behavior has served to make people behave better. That makes society better. I'm glad that people in public positions now realize that they can't publicly be racist or sexist or homophobic without losing their job. That make them say fewer racist, sexist and homophobic things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events