Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't know about you, but I didn't enslave anyone or treat anyone worse than a dog for decades.
Isn't that the truth? Not only did I not enslave anyone, but I never inherited any money or property (other than $9,000 from a parent), and that didn't come "from the backs of slaves."

My relatives fought for the North in the Civil War. They died to free the slaves in the south. What about a little gratitude for that life-changing sacrifice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnKrunkin' View Post
...they do have a right to be resentful. I don't agree at all w/ reformations ($$) whatsoever. A.A.'s should be treated better. But the fact its acceptable...
I don't agree at all. Ever hear of Chinaman's chance? Look that up. What about the Irish? Lots of people abused throughout history. Jews? You know the ones that control all the banks etc. Nope, at this point if you are going to be a separate race instead of being "American", you really don't have a right to be resentful. It is all on you today folks. You aren't a success? Your fault, no one else. Anytime you are labeling yourself as a separate group like, African American, you are headed down a wrong path. Americans are Americans regardless of skin tone. It is so old and there are no excuses. Last I checked Obama a darker skinned person was voted in a president TWICE! The race thing is a joke.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,924 times
Quote:
I am sooo tired to hearing of whites (I'm white btw) constantly bringing up race as the reason for everything re: african americans & crime. We did enslave them, we did treat them worse than dogs for decades, they do have a right to be resentful. I don't agree at all w/ reformations ($$) whatsoever. A.A.'s should be treated better. But the fact its acceptable in black culture for a black woman to allow herself to basically be raped & left to solely provide for her children has to be stopped. The hugely disproportionate # of deadbeat black fathers should be held responsible. I think there should be social programs similar to the TVA or CCC. Eg., Depression-era stimulus put millions to work in national park system - latimes.

This is entirely possible. So many men are sitting around government housing project FREE homes at this very moment who could be put to work for the greater good & earn the free ride their receiving.
IMO compensation for post-Emancipation discrimination (such as Jim Crow and redlining in the north, the effects of which are visible today) is more sensible than slavery, given the legal challenges involved.

White tea party guy here too, it's just fair IMO.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM

404 posts, read 385,516 times
When will the day come where we can stop blaming ALL for the actions of a few? If you have 35,000,000 million Purple people and 5,000,000 of them are acting crazy. Do you blame the other 30,000,000?

You have lazy, ignorant, crazy, multiple daddy having women in every racial group. You also have lazy, ignorant, deadbeat dads in every racial group.

If you travel more around the country you will learn this.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
I am sooo tired to hearing of whites (I'm white btw) constantly bringing up race as the reason for everything re: african americans & crime. We did enslave them, we did treat them worse than dogs for decades, they do have a right to be resentful.
For starters, when you say "we enslaved them" meaning whites enslaving blacks, speak for yourself. If you are speaking of your ancestors, again speak for yourself. Neither I nor any of my ancestors enslaved anyone, period!

Next when you collective say "they do have a right to be resentful", are you speaking about all blacks, or just the ones who are descendants of slaves?
Also as pointed out above, those who have a right in your mind to be resentful, how do they distinguish which whites are related to the bad guys, vs. those who are like me?
Furthermore, the blacks who fit the aforementioned definition that in your mind should fell resentful, the question is for how long?
They themselves did not experience slavery, and many have never experienced mandated segregation. So if they can be resentful for what happened to their slave ancestors many generations ago, it begs the question. When will it ever stop being right to be resentful in your mind?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
likewise. I guess we're still guilty by default or something.
Even white immigrants who came to this country after the 1860's are automatically guilty of Black slavery. Everyone knows this.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:10 PM

194 posts, read 182,839 times
Victor,
Thats just it. There is no definitive official position to take on this issue. Thats why I previously posted this is not an issue that can entirely be based on race. I know just as many whites I dislike as I do blacks. In a perfect world a person's worth would be based on character, intelligence, attractiveness (subjective), ability. Not race. Affirmative action, although passed w/ the best intentions, has evolved into something that just as often discriminates as it doesn't.

To directly answer your question it becomes right when a person is not met w/ preconceived judgements on either party's part. We all have to get along, but we all have to responsible for our actions & not blame them on someone else.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
What an atrocious way to start my day. I'm not Black and will never tire of putting out the reality to people who obviously are blind to it whether on purpose or not.

Perhaps you need to learn more about what happened and what we did. We stole Black people from their homes, from their cultures, and their land. "We" started it, the tribal leaders allowed some part of it. Those who survived the middle passage (at least 2 milllion, or 10% died), were sold as property. Human beings were sold as property and ripped apart from their families. Mothers saw their sons sold, fathers saw their wives sold, children saw their mother ravagely raped and beaten by the overseers. They were a proud people with rich and deep family and cultural norms. We literally ripped the very fabric of their lives apart for well over a century. Then we "emancipated them", but for many, life didn't radically change. They became sharecroppers under the same overseers, and the lynchings and the rapes and the forced separation of family continued. Imagine if that had been your family history for well over 200 years would you still be tired of reading or hearing about it (rhetorical). Read Dr. Joy DeGruy if you are seriously interested in how this now affects Blacks. Science is showing the effects of the chronic stress as it's passed down genetically.

Flash forward a few decades to the early 1900s as there were viable, thriving Black communities like Greenwood, OK and Rosewood, FL (eight in all) that were burned to the ground by angry white mobs because those uppity Blacks were doing so well. Fast forward again to the 1960s when our lofty democratic republic government created laws preventing fathers to stay in HUD housing, again tearing at the fabric of the family. Generation after generation were forcibly separated. Fast forward again (it's appears to never end) to the current mass incarceration of Black males for crimes whites never do time for; we see it in the news often - a New Jim Crow as Michelle Alexander talks about in her book.

In flashing forward, clearly see the disproportionate high % of Blacks who have served in all our wars despite the atrocities committed against them by our country. How or why they even did this is something I cannot fathom.

Now look at the unemployment rates. Overall, white unemployemnt is currently at 4.7%. Black unemployment is 10.4%. In most cities, it's closer to 18-20% unemployment for Black males.

Last, a jobs creation program would be a great idea. Local communities that are developing green jobs training for Black people are having success, as are those few corporate sponsored training programs that seek to help. These men ... this human beings deserve better than returning to slave-like conditions and cleaning out privileged white people's latrines.

If you want even more facts, so you do not propagate misinformation, read the article on deadbeat dads.

Breaking Through the Myth of the

Have a good day.

I enjoyed reading your offering. Well written and quite factual! In addition, the passion with which you wrote leaves a twinkle in my eye! I am pleased you came into this thread.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:48 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,919 times
Slavery in America was wrong because it brought whites and blacks into contact with each other when they were placed on separate continents to ensure each race's survival. Abolition should have been paired with deportation back to Africa. In fact this was done in small measure with the founding of Liberia and was promoted by people such as Marcus Garvey. We have witnessed the failure of integration. Mutual separation is the best medicine for the long term viability of both blacks and whites.

Last edited by O.C. Ogilvy; 04-11-2015 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailSymbolizes View Post
We? I don't know who this "we" is that you're talking about. I didn't do s**t. I'm not even responsible for the behavior of my living relatives, much less some bonehead in a powdered wig who may or may not have been my ancestor.
Not only did white people living today not have anything to do with slavery, neither did slave owners in the early 19th century for instance start the institution. It was in place when they were born, and it was the accepted way of life. Once it ended, the newly freed slaves struggled to cope with liberty, and their descendants still have the same problem today. Instead of taking responsibility for their own conditions, they blame long dead white men and their descendants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events