Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:28 PM

506 posts, read 426,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Do you have children? Would you really want your kids going to school with someone who wrote out in graphic detail how he was going to kill them? I can't imagine any parent would be able to say "well, it's alright. We'll just leave him alone until he acts on those stories. He's just expressing himself."
Do individuals who write stories about murdering their classmates generally act upon their writings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Do individuals who write stories about murdering their classmates generally act upon their writings?
I'm afraid I don't know the statistics on that particular question. I just know I wouldn't want my children involved in any way.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:26 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I wrote horror in 8th grade... pretty gruesome stuff in some cases.

However, I did NOT write about my classmates and how I wanted to kill them. I think that is the worrying bit... that he named names of real people who are around him.
If he had the mindset to change the names while writing about people who were otherwise identifiable in his school it would only prove that he was a very IQ psychopath. If I had a kid, I wouldn't let them go to school with this person. If he wasn't removed, I would withdraw my child and refuse payments for tuition.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:27 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I think the kid should be removed for the good of the other students and for his own good.

I think it is obvious that this wasn't just some kind of joke or creative writing exercise run amok, or the other kids wouldn't be afraid of him. He probably does have some serious mental health issues.

Anyway, now that he is known (or at least perceived) to be some kind of apparent violence-driven "weirdo", what is life going to be like for this kid in the next few years if he is not moved some place that does not know of his creative writing? What will happen if he is teased and his violence goes from the page to an actual deed?

Again, for the sake of EVERYONE, I hope his parents remove him from the school -- and if they don't, then I think the school or school board should take action.

And as at least one other person has said -- TRY TO GET THIS KID SOME HELP! (I do realize, though, that therapy was ineffective with the Columbine killers and MANY other troubled kids, but at least he can be evaluated as to how much of a threat he truly is.)

Old 03-26-2015, 09:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
As this kid actually named names I would consider this threat to be a juvenile criminal assault and have the kid processed however the courts decide. This is beyond the tolerable.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
o.O

Old 03-26-2015, 12:00 PM

377 posts, read 670,461 times
This happened at Tidwell Middle School in Texas. I have a cousin who lives in this community so I know a bit more background information.

The part that is not explained in detail in the yahoo article is that this kid has been bullied horribly for years. It was brought to the school's attention over and over again but nothing was done. The child was seeing a therapist who advised him to write down and journal his feelings and thoughts about these bullies. So, he ended up writing this disturbing book. It wasn't supposed to get out, it was private...his private thoughts meant only to help him deal with the pain he was in from this bullying. One of the kids who bullied him found the journal, read it and then turned it in. So, although there is no doubt that the book is disturbing I can almost understand why he wrote it. After suffering the abuse of these bullies for years he is now imagining all the pain he would put them through if he could...pretty normal for this age group.

I am not trying to make excuses for this kid, just trying to put this issue into perspective.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
This happened at Tidwell Middle School in Texas. I have a cousin who lives in this community so I know a bit more background information.

The part that is not explained in detail in the yahoo article is that this kid has been bullied horribly for years. It was brought to the school's attention over and over again but nothing was done. The child was seeing a therapist who advised him to write down and journal his feelings and thoughts about these bullies. So, he ended up writing this disturbing book. It wasn't supposed to get out, it was private...his private thoughts meant only to help him deal with the pain he was in from this bullying. One of the kids who bullied him found the journal, read it and then turned it in. So, although there is no doubt that the book is disturbing I can almost understand why he wrote it. After suffering the abuse of these bullies for years he is now imagining all the pain he would put them through if he could...pretty normal for this age group.

I am not trying to make excuses for this kid, just trying to put this issue into perspective.
Thanks for this. It provides better context to this story.

Mick

Old 03-26-2015, 02:24 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post

Thanks for presenting another side to this.

WHEN will all school authorities do more than just pay "lip service" to the fact that bullying is mean, wrong, harmful, and even potentially dangerous?

I think the bullies should have in-school detention for at least two days and be made to write letters of apologies to their victims.

Btw, I absolutely hate it when I read the opinions of people who defend bullies as "just something kids do and the weaker kids just need to get tougher." I think the bullies need to learn respect toward others at least as much as their victims need to learn toughness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events