Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
has anyone done this joke yet:
if a woman was on a the $20 bill would it only be worth 70 % ?
No, because it doesn't make sense and isn't funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
has anyone done this joke yet:
if a woman was on a the $20 bill would it only be worth 70 % ?
Sadly it's far worse than that. If $20 equaled what it did in 1935, it would be worth ~$1175.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I've got one of those 1976 two dollar bills with Jefferson on it, hidden away in a dark closet where it belongs. You don't put some guy that went bankrupt on the money. He was the knob who crippled the economy of New England when he couldn't make up his mind on whether to trade with England or France, and when pressed on the issue, his final decision was not to trade with either. Derp!

He also wrote that hypocritical crap into the constitution about all men being created equal, when clearly all men are not created equal, some are born smart, some are born dumb, some are born with no arms, some are born with an IQ of 190, but Jefferson tells us we are equal while he owned a butt load of slaves and spent money like water. The only good thing he did was the Louisiana Purchase, and I bet just about any president in his place would have sense enough to go for that deal.

Jefferson was a good architect, but he should have built something he could afford. I don't want that loser on the money, he's a jinx. They can rename Fannie Mae loan company after Thomas Jefferson, that suits him well.
No, you appoint Geithner to run the Treasury, the guy who couldn't file his taxes properly and who was one step away from the financial shenanigans of one of the greatest financial goofs in US history. Finding faults is easy, so far none of the names suggested for the $20 is without, they just aren't known yet.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,518,987 times
Those who find so much fault with Jefferson ought to remember the times in which he lived and what times we'd live in without his contributions.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll go for that. I nominate Stand Watie, principal chief from 1862-1866.

''At the outbreak of the War for Southern Independence, Watie quickly joined the Southern cause. He was commissioned a colonel on July 12, 1861, and raised a regiment of Cherokees for service with the Confederate army. Later, when Chief John Ross signed an alliance with the South, Watie's men were organized as the Cherokee Regiment of Mounted Rifles. After Ross fled Indian Territory, Watie was elected principal chief of the Confederate Cherokees in August 1862''

He served his people well.

''Watie's two greatest victories were the capture of the federal steam boat J.R. Williams on June 15, 1864, and the seizure of $1.5 million worth of supplies in a federal wagon supply train a the Second battle of Cabin Creek on September 19, 1864. Watie was promoted to brigadier general on May 6, 1864, and given command of the first Indian Brigade. He was the only Indian to achieve the rank of general in the Civil War. Watie surrendered on June 23, 1865, the last Confederate general to lay down his arms.''

Stand Watie
Why a Confederate general?

Last edited by green_mariner; 03-26-2015 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 11:06 AM

I say put Kennedy on the $20 bill.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:16 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why a Confederate general?
It goes beyond that. He/she was responding to my post that I have no problem with Andrew Jackson being replaced, but I'd prefer a Cherokee. This general was a Cherokee, most Cherokees lived in North Carolina, GA, TN before Jacksons Indian Relocation Act.

As far as I know, I could be wrong, the Union Army did not have high ranking Native Americans and highly doubt if they did they would be from the Cherokee tribe

Old 03-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It goes beyond that. He/she was responding to my post that I have no problem with Andrew Jackson being replaced, but I'd prefer a Cherokee. This general was a Cherokee, most Cherokees lived in North Carolina, GA, TN before Jacksons Indian Relocation Act.

As far as I know, I could be wrong, the Union Army did not have high ranking Native Americans and highly doubt if they did they would be from the Cherokee tribe
Well, this is my perspective. As someone who is the descendant of mainly African slaves(I do have some European and Native American ancestry as well), I resent anything having to do with the Confederacy. One reason I despise the idea of ANY Confederate being used as a replacement on USA money.

If we are to have a replacement, have someone like Kennedy. I'm no fan of Reagan, but I'll take Reagan over a Confederate general.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is my perspective. As someone who is the descendant of mainly African slaves(I do have some European and Native American ancestry as well), I resent anything having to do with the Confederacy. One reason I despise the idea of ANY Confederate being used as a replacement on USA money.

If we are to have a replacement, have someone like Kennedy. I'm no fan of Reagan, but I'll take Reagan over a Confederate general.
I respect your opinion, was just explaining a bit who this Confederate General was.
Glad my ggfather was in the Union Army..so you don't resent me...lol j/k

I picked a Cherokee because it was beyond despicable what Jackson did to them.
I've even heard most Cherokees will not accept a $20 bill, have to give them 2 $10 all though I'm sure this is just folklore

Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I respect your opinion, was just explaining a bit who this Confederate General was.
Glad my ggfather was in the Union Army..so you don't resent me...lol j/k
I don't resent you or your ggfather lol.

I understand what he was. I just find it traitorous to choose someone who fought for an army that was against the USA. I have to wonder what is in that person's mind, especially when it comes to choosing someone on the Confederate side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events