Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:43 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I think you both said the same thing, just you got on your high horse before saying it.
climbed up high to get on it too.. just like these "brats" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I still blame the kids. Look at the memorial, it is not a statue of a soldier standing there. Any kid would realize what they are looking at.

I think the posters whose rep points are so much lower than their posts total are the ones that need a reality check. They are the ones that think differently than the norm.

By the way I told a little kid about their behavior the other day. The father did not say a word to me. I think he realized if he did he would have gotten more than words.
yeah right, then you woke up from your dream and typed this story.

lol, another tough guy on the internet.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
My one cousin was in Vietnam, My Father is a Korean War veteran, His three brothers served in the military. My grandfather and four of my Fathers cousins were in WWII. I think that qualifies enough, don't you think?
Doesn't qualify you at all. Simply put: you've never been there and haven't done it so you have no idea.

You can hear or read about all the stories you want but unless you've experienced it, you have zero idea.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:05 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
My one cousin was in Vietnam, My Father is a Korean War veteran, His three brothers served in the military. My grandfather and four of my Fathers cousins were in WWII. I think that qualifies enough, don't you think? Memorials are symbols, and symbols aren't important to me. What I would find would be a better gesture is for the Government to give lifetime medical care, residency, and a pension to all veterans of American Wars. Pretty sure they would appreciate that more than some gaudy assed statue.
Quote:
You wouldn't cause a scene, I would simply ignore you beyond my comment. Other parents would punch you in the face .
this isn't a contest on who knows more VN vets or who has more medals. just for the record, my father was in three wars. WW2, Korea and VN. he was an air force pilot. my husband is a combat vet who served in vietnam his medals include not only a purple heart but a silver and bronze star with V as well as a list of other medals.

symbols may not be important to you but they are to many people. which is why a great deal of people hate it when our flag is burned. the VN memorial and what that means is still raw and fresh to many people. it along with other memorials and parks should be respected. would you let your kids sit on the lap of lincoln at the lincoln memorial. I doubt it.

thanks for the smiley face after suggesting a parent should punch me in the face, because I would tell their kids and them to have some respect. that shows great parenting skills.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I think myself and my brothers did similar when kids. The local bank had a 57mm anti-tank gun from WW2 to memorialize a unit. We played with it all the time imitating the crew in films we had seen. Same with Civil War cannon. I recall a fellow on a horse we used to climb onto as well.

Look in my profile pic. I am playing with a Sherman tank as an adult. Woe is me.

If it were my kids and I was present I would tell them to stop as it is a memorial not a playground. But kids always manage to slip away sometimes from parental observation for bit. Do not know the background of this story.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
For those who feel it is no big deal, consider that the very point of the statue and other memorials and pieces of art is for public contemplation. At the very least, understand and appreciate that there are others, some who have made difficult, once in a lifetime journey, to see these memorials, remember friends or pay their respects. Children (or anyone really) whose behavior distracts from their reasonable ability to do that is inappropriate. If you go to a museum to view an important piece of art, you certainly have every expectation that no one is standing in front of that piece, jumping up and down and screaming, preventing the viewing and contemplation of the piece.

I would expect that if it's clear who the parents are, a word to them is entirely appropriate. If it's unclear, or if the parents are nowhere to be seen, a polite explanation and request to the kids is also appropriate. It would also be good for any parents tempted to give a mouthy response to comments regarding their children's behavior to remember that they are visiting a place where emotions are often running high. No need to escalate the situation. Walk away and take your kids to a playground.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-26-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
If anyone is interested, there's a discussion about this issue going on at Reddit where the points made about Normandy were particularly thought-provoking. I would link, but I'm not certain it's permitted.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:29 AM

506 posts, read 426,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
For those who don't feel it is no big deal, consider that the very point of the statue and other memorials and pieces of art is for public contemplation. At the very least, understand and appreciate that there are others, some who have made difficult, once in a lifetime journey, to see these memorials, remember friends or pay their respects. Children (or anyone really) whose behavior distracts from their reasonable ability to do that is inappropriate. If you go to a museum to view an important piece of art, you certainly have every expectation that no one is standing in front of that piece, jumping up and down and screaming, preventing the viewing and contemplation of the piece.

I would expect that if it's clear who the parents are, a word to them is entirely appropriate. If it's unclear, or if the parents are nowhere to be seen, a polite explanation and request to the kids is also appropriate. It would also be good for any parents tempted to give a mouthy response to comments regarding their children's behavior to remember that they are visiting a place where emotions are often running high. No need to escalate the situation. Walk away and take your kids to a playground.
If an individual's once in a lifetime trip to see a memorial can be totally ruined by playing children, well then it would seem that this individual needs to seek immediate psychological counseling.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:44 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh brother.
The ultimate disrespect of the vets was done by the fedguv who sent them to be killed and maimed in a war of choice, but you can bet most the outraged folks walk around telling people how patriotic they are and how great America is.
It'd be funny if it werent so pathetic.
The war has been over for 40 years. Get over it!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The war has been over for 40 years. Get over it!
the war is not over for many combat vets living with PTSD. nor is the war ever far away from the people who lost their loved ones. get over it? easy for you to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events