Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Oh, good!

I was wondering which non-issue I should get irate about today. Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
In Singapore they regularly beat their children. There is corporal punishment for chewing gum, and the death penalty for smoking weed. Needless to say, Singapore is #1 in economic development and the highest GDP in the world. I would say climbing on a Vietnam Vet sculpture is a bit worse than chewing gum or smoking weed... if you catch my drift.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
The Vet in the photo may not agree with you, or your uncle.

I guess not giving a eff, and thinking everything is BS is why kids and young adults dont know how to act, and even get themselves killed over the stupidest crap imaginable. Just in general, no one gives a eff about anything.

Good point!

Lorde (Tennis Court) - Its a new art form showing people how little we care - yeah!
Maybe he doesn't. Since my uncle was a Purple Heart recepient and a vet who suffered for many years because of the inaction of the US Gov't and the apathy/hatred of US citizens you'll have to forgive my attitude towards people crying about a statue.

I give a **** about important things like living, breathing military veterans not statues.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a 'Nam Vet with some problems with PTSD and diabetes created by Agent Orange exposure along with the occasional nightmare. So what? It is what it is.

I am heartened that these kids have no idea of the horror show that was 'Nam. Having children play on this Monument to Death turns it into a Monument to the Lives these unfortunates never had. Let the kids play. Their turn on the rack is likely to come all too soon.
Amen.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I still blame the kids. Look at the memorial, it is not a statue of a soldier standing there. Any kid would realize what they are looking at.

I think the posters whose rep points are so much lower than their posts total are the ones that need a reality check. They are the ones that think differently than the norm.

By the way I told a little kid about their behavior the other day. The father did not say a word to me. I think he realized if he did he would have gotten more than words.
LMAO Oh PLEASE.

Assigning such importance to a made up rep system on a message board speaks volumes about your feelings on a statue. Thinking differently from the norm is a GOOD THING.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Good point. If you really want to respect and honor these veterans take care of them, and give those who have been screwed up in that war the proper care they need! It is your policies (when I say "your" I mean the government not you) that put them in harms way in the first damn place! Now I assure you as a parent, I wouldn't let my kid climb all over a memorial, but this certainly isn't newsworthy, and something to make a huge fuss about!
Exactly. The government does this to these people and then gives 'em a friggin' statue. For what? Really makes me angry. And it makes me angrier when people care more about a flag or a statue than the people who put their lives on the line.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The war has been over for 40 years. Get over it!
Edited due to clarification by Curmudgeon.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Anyone who does understand the symbolism of the statues and memorials, ought to have a dog urinate on their precious family photos.. and see how it makes them feel. maybe they will understand symbolism of things that we hold dear.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
My one cousin was in Vietnam, My Father is a Korean War veteran, His three brothers served in the military. My grandfather and four of my Fathers cousins were in WWII. I think that qualifies enough, don't you think? Memorials are symbols, and symbols aren't important to me. What I would find would be a better gesture is for the Government to give lifetime medical care, residency, and a pension to all veterans of American Wars. Pretty sure they would appreciate that more than some gaudy assed statue.
You have no memories of Vietnam. It was over before you were born. You're coming from a generation that doesn't remember what Vietnam did to this country. It tore us apart. It killed our sons and brothers and friends. Getting the Wall built was a struggle that took years. The Wall was controversial. The statues were controversial. People who remember Vietnam approach the Wall steeling themselves for the grief and flood of raw emotions that comes from seeing all those names. Thousands and thousands of names. Brothers. Sons. Husbands. Fathers. Childhood buddies. Veterans fall to their knees crying over a friend dead 45 years. Parents leave photos of sons in Little League uniforms.

The statue is in a place people go to after seeing thousand and thousands of names of the dead. It depicts how many of those who are on the Wall spent their last moments. Held in the arms of a nurse waiting for the 'whop-whop-whop' of an evac chopper coming in to pick up a 19-year-old wounded in a war he didn't ask for. Calling it a "gaudy assed statue" is naive (at best) on your part.

Vietnam is still a raw, open wound for many of us and we won't get over Vietnam until those who remember it are all dead. It's just not possible. Vietnam was different.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,385 times
Kids being kid of which every single last one of us in here were a kid before, so noone should be passing judgement. This is a non-story in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events