Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 02:01 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

I lived in Oklahoma for six and a half years and came to love it. Was pretty sad when I had to leave. As anywhere, you have to find the parts that meet your needs.

I believe something about the geology and location are why Moore gets hit so hard. No. I wouldn't move there. I'd wouldn't mind moving back to the Tulsa area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 02:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I lived in Oklahoma for six and a half years and came to love it. Was pretty sad when I had to leave. As anywhere, you have to find the parts that meet your needs.

I believe something about the geology and location are why Moore gets hit so hard. No. I wouldn't move there. I'd wouldn't mind moving back to the Tulsa area.
I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years and it wasn't bad. Very peaceful. Small town air force base. People were nice. Now Oklahoma City area - nope.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Would you live in a free house in Moore OK? That is if a person offered you a free house. Would you move there?
Hell yeah, and then I would just build myself a tornado shelter. I would go outside and enjoy watching the tornados, and if they got too close, I would dive into my shelter.

If I decided not to move to Moore, it would probably be for reasons other then tornados.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
My brother in law is a meteorologist and is borderline obsessed with storm chasing. I think if he could find full time work in Tornado Alley, he would move there in a heartbeat.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:06 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Re; Would I take a free home in Moore Ok?

I live in Tornado Alley (south of Wichita Kan), and I've always felt that having a tornado actually hit my town or home was mostly of matter of odds, and that those odds are pretty slim. The fact that Moore Ok has been severely hit 3 times since 1999 defies those odds. IDK, maybe it has something to do with their geographical location, but the entire Oklahoma City area has had more than its fair share of tornados. I've lived in OKC twice in my life, and my first thought after hearing about this latest storm last night was... no way I would ever move there again.
So the answer would be no.

Look up Xenia, Ohio which is located in the southwestern corner of Ohio near Dayton, and Cincinnati. In recent times they were hit in 1974 by an F5 tornado during the April 3rd and April 4th 1974 Super Outbreak. It was struck again in April of 1989 by an F2, and again in September of 2,000 by an F4. According to local legend, the Shawnee Indians referred to the area as the "place of the devil wind" or "the land of crazy winds." Record of storms go back to the 19th Century, and local records show 20 tornadoes in Greene County since 1884. Some consider Ohio a part of Tornado Alley, others don't. That area does seem to get more than my neck of the woods, but still less than some of the southern states, other midwestern, or great plains states.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
I am terrified of tornadoes. Lived in the mid-west, I remember having to go into the basement when a warning came up. Give me a choice between a tornado or an earthquake, I'd take the earthquake every time. I've been through a 6.8 earthquake. It was nothing. I lived in a building built in 1903 and had two scared cats, but my crystal stemware didn't budge.

A tornado can turn your house into toothpicks.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I am terrified of tornadoes. Lived in the mid-west, I remember having to go into the basement when a warning came up. Give me a choice between a tornado or an earthquake, I'd take the earthquake every time. I've been through a 6.8 earthquake. It was nothing. I lived in a building built in 1903 and had two scared cats, but my crystal stemware didn't budge.

A tornado can turn your house into toothpicks.
Tell that to the people who 63 people died and the 3700 injured in the 6.9 earthquake in California back in 89.

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2015, 08:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Pass on OK. There is a reason why folks from OK live in CO, and both have tornadoes.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
OK wouldn't be so bad if the building codes weren't pro-tornado.
. . .
Giving tornadoes the superior right to destroy toothpick homes is barking mad.
. . .
An example of a not-wood-frame anti-tornado house - - -
Built with concrete sandwich construction (concrete + foam + concrete).
Hurricane survivor photo here:
Tridipanel - Hurricanes and Tornadoes - 1 of 14 homes damaged - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home

Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Tell that to the people who 63 people died and the 3700 injured in the 6.9 earthquake in California back in 89.

1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anyone under age 25 who has lived in the Bay Area their entire life, has never experienced a serious earthquake, or any type of natural disaster. How many tornados have under 25 year olds living in Oklahoma City experienced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events