Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:12 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
If your door is open to the public you need to serve the public.
WHY is this so freaking hard to understand? If you are a business that is opened to the public, you don't get to choose what sort of people you can service! People, we've gone down this road before and it didn't work any better in the Jim Crow days either.

Otherwise, open up your bakery inside your church or as an extension of your church and clearly state who you will and will not serve for religious reasons.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:15 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Now a business owner in Indy is proudly and openly boasting that he plans to refuse service to gay customers.

No wedding cakes are involved.

KYLE & RACHEL: Local Business Owner Supports Bill 100% and Refused Service to a Gay Couple! (AUDIO) | RadioNOW 100.9

Interestingly, he also claims to have faked a mechanical failure in the past in order to deny service to gay customers.

In other words, he broke one of the tenets of his religion (the Ninth Commandment) in order to "protect his religious freedom."
That's his right. And it's the public's right to stop frequenting his business, which will probably happen.

The fact that he "faked" a failure means the law is a good one. Now, he's being seen for what he is.

I doubt many businesses will go this route, but if they do, they'll deal with the consequences. But the bottom line is the government has no right to say how a business runs themselves.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
WHY is this so freaking hard to understand? If you are a business that is opened to the public, you don't get to choose what sort of people you can service! People, we've gone down this road before and it didn't work any better in the Jim Crow days either.

Otherwise, open up your bakery inside your church or as an extension of your church and clearly state who you will and will not serve for religious reasons.
No, it's you that doesn't understand. If you are not allowed to run your business like you want, and the government decides that for you, it's not your business. Which means it's no different than a communist country.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The free market will take care of this. The business owner should be permitted to determine who he does business with.

Easy to say as a straight man who has never been discriminated against. I love how conservatives always think of business before people, shows their true Christian values, eh?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Umm, if you run a business, then it's basically your JOB to do so. I work in retail and would love to pick and choose who to not service, but since it's my job to help the customer and since they pay me to do so, I keep my personal beliefs and opinions to myself and do my freaking job! Don't want to do your job or run a business, then quit and get out.

Keeping your beliefs to yourself and not discriminating others for their personal lives? How UnAmerican of you! This country was founded on the forced religious conversion and oppression of those who are different, and that sting has sadly survived the centuries.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
"Thought to be gay" doesn't apply when someone asks - or demands - that a bakery produce a cake with, for example, two groom toppers and "Adam and Steve" written in icing.

Reel yourself back in, then try posting something based on fact, not conjecture and emotion.

Lemme ask you something. What would you think if the bride and groom toppers had one of them black and the other white. And I ain't talkin' about their suit/dress! Should racists allow to discriminate and refuse to bake a cake for an interracial couple?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:45 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, it's you that doesn't understand. If you are not allowed to run your business like you want, and the government decides that for you, it's not your business. Which means it's no different than a communist country.
You're not allowed to run your business "like you want". There are all sorts of rules you must follow, whether you like them or not. That's how it works.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delvadown View Post
Quit whining. Just get your cake from another bakery. you girls...
You still haven't answered my question (see below, post from page 4):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Well, what kind of business do you run? IF ANY, please communicate your discriminatory practices so I can be saved from accidentally patronizing it. And I'm straight.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:55 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
IMO..This logic makes no sense..IF a business wants to limit their services..It behooves said SERVICE to advertise just WHO THEY WILL SERVICE..not the other way around ..

.It's called private sector..either serve the public and abide by Federal laws..OR narrow you customer base ..BE OPEN about whatever customers you will provide for....Then they will see just how successful (their business) they will become!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events