Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:49 PM

683 posts, read 466,783 times

Advertisements

Had a debate yesterday with some people regarding the blocking of the Minneapolis Airport (and hence the Mall of America and the stores in Chicago)

Some claim that the protests can be considered domestic terrorism because they are used to "intimidate the civilian population". So, I looked up the definition and I think they might have a point...

Under current United States law, set forth in the USA PATRIOT Act, acts of domestic terrorism are those which: "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."[2]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM

11,366 posts, read 16,743,076 times
Yes

Old 12-24-2015, 02:21 PM

388 posts, read 536,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Had a debate yesterday with some people regarding the blocking of the Minneapolis Airport (and hence the Mall of America and the stores in Chicago)

Some claim that the protests can be considered domestic terrorism because they are used to "intimidate the civilian population". So, I looked up the definition and I think they might have a point...

Under current United States law, set forth in the USA PATRIOT Act, acts of domestic terrorism are those which: "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended— (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."[2]

You do realize you completely missed the first portion of the definition:
(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State

The definition is not A or B or (i) or (ii) or ....

It is A AND B (of which must fall within one of the sub-definitions i, ii, or iii) AND C

So the answer is NO, unless you can show that the demonstrations were a danger to human life.

You are treading on very dangerous ground if you want to redefine domestic terrorism to only need the (i) definition.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,801 times
Protests are not domestic terrorism (generally speaking). The protest and where the ******* is standing are two different things...

Old 12-24-2015, 02:28 PM

683 posts, read 466,783 times
Oh, OK. I see it has to be both A and B

Old 12-24-2015, 02:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,837,091 times
Yes, they can -- but only by people who don't understand the concept of terrorism.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:20 PM

446 posts, read 710,688 times
Were people terrorized?

Yes.

So, the answer to your question is 'absolutely'.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:12 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,703,905 times
The Patriot Act has one of about 72 different defintions of terrorism. But the OP asked whether it could be considered terrorism. Under several definitions, it could be considered terrorism, including LS35a's definition.

However, to get a conviction for any offense, the government has to prove each and every element of the offense. TampaBull13's point goes to that requirement. The first element is that there was an act, the second element is that the act endangered human life, the third element is that the act violated criminal laws... and then it adds a whole other set of elements under B.

So considered to be domestic terrorism? Sure, if you are so inclined.

But getting a conviction would be a 'no.'

(Not familiar with Illinois civil law, but a lawsuit for interfering with lawful commerce - or something like that - might fly...)

Old 12-25-2015, 07:38 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,704,027 times
What happens when an ambulance gets caught up in a protest and the person in the ambulance dies because he/she was not able to receive medical help in time. That otherwise would have been very treatable if no roads were blocked.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,431,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
What happens when an ambulance gets caught up in a protest and the person in the ambulance dies because he/she was not able to receive medical help in time. That otherwise would have been very treatable if no roads were blocked.
What happens when an ambulance get's caught in a parade or a politician's motorcade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events