Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:01 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Funny how that hate doesn't seem to apply to big business, which is in bed with the government, and effectively steals far more from Americans than people on food stamps do.

I don't disagree with what you said at all -- but people who vocalize this idea tend to look the other way when it comes to big business doing effectively the same thing.
Big business also creates jobs. Being in bed with them is a necessary evil, or they take their business overseas. Welfare is not a job. It was meant as a temporary resource to help people in need. The problem is that it is easily abused and too many people on he public assistance wagon are content to collect the check and benefits and not have to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:09 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
it's so amazing how much Americans hate the poor in this country. We don't know why the numbers dropped from 12,000 to 2,000. No one asked these folks if they found jobs, did they even have access to the services the are having them do, Maine isn't necessarily a small state and I'm damn sure it has a lot of government services centralized in areas those without transportation cannot get to. What makes this worse is even if a person is able to work himself or herself out of the SNAP Program there, they are not eligible to reapply for 3 years. What does one do if they have a temp job? What if a person's hours are cut back? What if a person gets ill or injured and can't work? Seriously what was 12,000 people to the government of Maine? How much money was that? I support the requirements cause that was the only way I could get the $40 I get now. But we have to think about implications and how other states will take steps even further. You never what would happen to you and God forbid if you got to end up in the welfare line

Americans do not hate the poor, Americans do not like those who do not work for their money and use a government supplement if need be.
Americans do not like those who sell their benefits for cash to get a six pack or a bottle of wine.
Americans do not like those who work and get paid cash so they can also collect welfare.

Americans do not like those who cheat just to get government handouts instead of working and collecting a salary.
Obviously not all Americans can work with disabilities being the top reason however, my Mother was born disabled and she worked from the moment she was old enough until she retired.

This makes me look at those with a disability a bit differently because I was raised by a disabled woman who did not collect welfare, who did raise 2 children by herself in the 1960's because her husband decided that prison was a better place to live.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
it's so amazing how much Americans hate the poor in this country. We don't know why the numbers dropped from 12,000 to 2,000. No one asked these folks if they found jobs, did they even have access to the services the are having them do, Maine isn't necessarily a small state and I'm damn sure it has a lot of government services centralized in areas those without transportation cannot get to. What makes this worse is even if a person is able to work himself or herself out of the SNAP Program there, they are not eligible to reapply for 3 years. What does one do if they have a temp job? What if a person's hours are cut back? What if a person gets ill or injured and can't work? Seriously what was 12,000 people to the government of Maine? How much money was that? I support the requirements cause that was the only way I could get the $40 I get now. But we have to think about implications and how other states will take steps even further. You never what would happen to you and God forbid if you got to end up in the welfare line
A 3 month program for single adults got extended for 8 years.
Is that "hate" ?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Big business also creates jobs. Being in bed with them is a necessary evil, or they take their business overseas. Welfare is not a job. It was meant as a temporary resource to help people in need. The problem is that it is easily abused and too many people on he public assistance wagon are content to collect the check and benefits and not have to work.
Big business doesn't create jobs. They create profits. Those are often the result of cutting jobs or moving them overseas.

Consumer spending creates jobs.

A big problem in keeping these programs from being temporary is that they punish people too quickly as they make more. Earn .25 more an hour, lose a dollar causing people to avoid that happening.

The programs need to be overhauled allowing for more help when people are falling down (it's easier to ease the landing than wait till they hit bottom) and design a program that has more steps to it to guide them off the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Americans do not hate the poor, Americans do not like those who do not work for their money and use a government supplement if need be.
Americans do not like those who sell their benefits for cash to get a six pack or a bottle of wine.
Americans do not like those who work and get paid cash so they can also collect welfare.

Americans do not like those who cheat just to get government handouts instead of working and collecting a salary.
Obviously not all Americans can work with disabilities being the top reason however, my Mother was born disabled and she worked from the moment she was old enough until she retired.

This makes me look at those with a disability a bit differently because I was raised by a disabled woman who did not collect welfare, who did raise 2 children by herself in the 1960's because her husband decided that prison was a better place to live.
It's not just the lazy. Some of the programs have gotten too generous.

Working for a property manager last year, he had someone on city housing. They paid $1400/month for the single guy to live in a three bedroom apartment. That's 75% of my mortgage on a 15 year note for a 3800 sq foot house.

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 04-11-2015 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 11:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
You're talking about people who are so down on their luck or who just don't have it together enough to manage basic things - like have a reliable running car, readily available child care, be able to stick to a schedule. I would think that the majority of the drop in eligible recipients is because these people just can't jump through the hoops required to stay on welfare.
First, let me say if they don't have an option for every eligible person, then this is not a good program. There may not be enough jobs or volunteer opportunities, but those who don't land one of those should be able to participate in a training program.

Now, to answer your question Yuptag, I know who these people are because I've done volunteer work for forty years. You would be surprised at how not having a reliable running car or child care doesn't stop them from some of the things they do.

I've always maintained that people on welfare should be put into training programs to learn some type of skill, and also work each week. Not enough jobs? How about some of those on welfare be tasked with watching the children of those who are in a training program or doing some job? How about free public transportation for anyone going to and from either a training program or job while on welfare? Or jobs driving people to and from these places? Or picking up trash on the street and sweeping streets and sidewalks that have broken glass and other garbage on them?

I think it benefits people more to come up with solutions than to come up with excuses about why they cannot learn a skill that will help them find a job, or do any type of work that would allow them to earn what they're getting in the way of welfare.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Unless Maine plans on having these people do meaningful, productive work I'm afraid it comes across as a punishment for being poor. Have them fix roads, clean parks etc. I don't know enough about the program in Maine to say whether I agree with how its being run.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:45 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Unless Maine plans on having these people do meaningful, productive work I'm afraid it comes across as a punishment for being poor. Have them fix roads, clean parks etc. I don't know enough about the program in Maine to say whether I agree with how its being run.

Ideally it would be things that would help bolster an individual's resume so that it can improve their chances at getting a job or getting a better job that allows them to get off of the benefits.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Ideally it would be things that would help bolster an individual's resume so that it can improve their chances at getting a job or getting a better job that allows them to get off of the benefits.
I believe our state has a program for employers to encourage them to hire people who are on TANF/SNAP. I'm not sure I agree with it because I don't think employers should be swayed to hire people just to get some money from the government. Where does that put non-welfare job seekers?

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Default re

I have no problem with poor people in this country. my issue is the handouts and how the expectation is that they be given them. I don't get a red cent. My husband and I work full time so why should our hard earned tax dollars go to someone who maybe works part time minimum wage. This is what happens and don't tell me otherwise. You Don't Want to be poor anymore? Do something about it.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Thing is, those people have moved on to nearby states to take advantage of those taxpayers.
And you know this... How?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events