Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 PM

463 posts, read 319,450 times

Advertisements

After watching the documentary Every day, more people agree that the U.S. War on Drugs has failed… | The House I Live In, one thing that always stuck with me was the New Mexico Sheriff, while sitting in his patrol car talking to the author, pointed out the spot where he seized a $110,000 RV under the forfeiture laws, one of many seizures he has made. He said, "I got to keep $25,000 of it. It is what paid for this patrol car".

Well, a blow has been struck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/us...ture.html?_r=0

Let's hope others follow suit, in order to avoid more stuff like this:

Parents’ house seized after son caught with drugs | KFOR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:10 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times
Posted about this the other night, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39176543-post87.html in this thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Posted about this the other night, it's certainly a step in the right direction.

//www.city-data.com/forum/39176543-post87.html in this thread
Sorry, didn't see that. But this policy of providing incredible profit incentives to law enforcement agencies, which has resulted in such massive levels of corruption, I believe deserves its own thread.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:16 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,195,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Sorry, didn't see that. But this policy of providing incredible profit incentives to law enforcement agencies, which has resulted in such massive levels of corruption, I believe deserves its own thread.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:19 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
I think at this point they are just trying to keep things the same so they don't have to go to prisoners and say "law has changed, you're free to leave", after spending 10 years in prison for drug possession. I'm pretty sure it would spark a large backlash and possible lawsuits.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think at this point they are just trying to keep things the same so they don't have to go to prisoners and say "law has changed, you're free to leave", after spending 10 years in prison for drug possession. I'm pretty sure it would spark a large backlash and possible lawsuits.
I've always thought that was the main reason the federal government has been dragging its feet concerning cannabis law reform. They may be thinking that if they hold off, more and more states will legalize it, so that way it will get to the point that the feds have no choice but to legalize it also.

By dragging their feet this way, they can hide behind the excuse of "We're not saying we believe it is the right thing to do, and we're not excusing people who have broken the law in the past, we are just doing this because it is what the majority of the states wants". That way they may be able to avoid lawsuits from all the people they have harmed.

Not to mention the fact that it gives them an out from having to say "We were wrong."

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,708,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
I've always thought that was the main reason the federal government has been dragging its feet concerning cannabis law reform. They may be thinking that if they hold off, more and more states will legalize it, so that way it will get to the point that the feds have no choice but to legalize it also.

By dragging their feet this way, they can hide behind the excuse of "We're not saying we believe it is the right thing to do, and we're not excusing people who have broken the law in the past, we are just doing this because it is what the majority of the states wants". That way they may be able to avoid lawsuits from all the people they have harmed.

Not to mention the fact that it gives them an out from having to say "We were wrong."
Precisely.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,157,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It'd be nice if we lived in a world where that happened, but barring a pardon or parole you'd still have to serve the rest of the sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events