Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:24 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,866,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In Baltimore, they call it a “rough ride.” In Philadelphia, they had another name for it that hints at the age of the practice — a “nickel ride,” a reference to old-time amusement park rides that cost five cents. Other cities called them joy rides.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us...ride.html?_r=0

'Nickel ride' is also how I first heard it described years ago, by a friend of mine who served as an MP at West Point in the 1980s. He described - with disdain, I'm happy to add - one of his fellow MPs who would handcuff but not belt-in arrestees (invariably not USMA cadets - West Point is also and primarily a training base), and then accelerate to a high speed before locking the brakes, causing the arrestee to crash against the steel-mesh barrier separating the back of the vehicle where the arrestees are transported from the front, where the MPs drive/sit.

My friend indicated that this was by no means the norm, and that this particular MP's motivation appeared to be nothing more than sadistic amusement.

The problem, of course, is that this is no part of the mission of law enforcement. This is extra-judicial abuse that borders on torture.

I do not lump in all police with the minority of police who engage in behavior such as this, so don't bother with that baseless assertion. I only call out that minority who does so, and those who enable it and look the other way and help cover it up when it happens.

It is unacceptable. And anyone who pretends to care about civil and constitutional rights and runs interference for those who do this by minimizing and excusing and rationalizing needs to stop kidding themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,097,464 times
I agree, it's not an acceptable behavior. Now on to the premise of your post, there is no evidence at this time that a "rough ride" was given.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,101,766 times
Um.... how many different Freddy threads will we have... I'll be happy to close mine for the other ten running

Old 05-02-2015, 07:34 PM

37,278 posts, read 41,501,637 times
If there was a "rough ride", it must have happened before the second person was put in the back of the van.

I also wonder if Gray was impaired when he was arrested. From the original video, he was dragged to the van after he was handcuffed. If so, that would be all the more reason to make sure he was secured properly before the van drove off. He may have been unable to brace himself even in normal stop and go conditions.

Has anyone seen a tox screen result?

Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 PM

163 posts, read 126,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Has anyone seen a tox screen result?
That answer is in another Freddy thread posted today. I think it said he had something in his system.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 AM

2,272 posts, read 4,141,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us...ride.html?_r=0

'Nickel ride' is also how I first heard it described years ago, by a friend of mine who served as an MP at West Point in the 1980s. He described - with disdain, I'm happy to add - one of his fellow MPs who would handcuff but not belt-in arrestees (invariably not USMA cadets - West Point is also and primarily a training base), and then accelerate to a high speed before locking the brakes, causing the arrestee to crash against the steel-mesh barrier separating the back of the vehicle where the arrestees are transported from the front, where the MPs drive/sit.

My friend indicated that this was by no means the norm, and that this particular MP's motivation appeared to be nothing more than sadistic amusement.

The problem, of course, is that this is no part of the mission of law enforcement. This is extra-judicial abuse that borders on torture.

I do not lump in all police with the minority of police who engage in behavior such as this, so don't bother with that baseless assertion. I only call out that minority who does so, and those who enable it and look the other way and help cover it up when it happens.

It is unacceptable. And anyone who pretends to care about civil and constitutional rights and runs interference for those who do this by minimizing and excusing and rationalizing needs to stop kidding themselves.
U.S. Army MPs call this a "brake check". There is also a "curb check" where the driver swerves sharply left or right in order to bounce off a curb. The MPs I have known (I was an MP, my DH was one for 23 years, our friends during those 23 years and 9 duty stations; 3 sets of cousins and their wives were all MPs) would happily do break checks and curb checks on each other.

We would place each other in hand irons and proceed to jack each other up. to this day if DH hits the brakes sharply or hits a curbs we (including our grown Sons and Grandbabies) yell "brake check" or "curb check".

Unfortunately, there will always be some sadists who choose law enforcement because they enjoy causing pain and injury while hiding behind the badge. These individuals invariably go too far and truly harm someone. These are the ones that drag otherwise good cops down with them and can strike the match that might burn entire cities down.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,161,030 times
I'm just tired of seeing brutality at the hands of Police. Done with it. And its not just the killings and there's other issues outside of violence.

Glad to see them go through the legal process. Welcome to America. The 'law and order' types are the worst when it comes to morality and compassion sometimes.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,626,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
That answer is in another Freddy thread posted today. I think it said he had something in his system.
An anonymous police officer says that there were drugs in his systems from preliminary toxicology report , and you believe it?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:06 AM

1,077 posts, read 877,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
An anonymous police officer says that there were drugs in his systems from preliminary toxicology report , and you believe it?
Thank you Helen.

No tox report nor ME report has been shown.

And this officer in the shadows, claims the XOfficer's saw FG dealing, yet on the charging document the only offense listed was the alleged switchblade that turned out to not be a switchblade at all.

This comrade is the shadows is just dirtying the jury pool.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,097,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Thank you Helen.

No tox report nor ME report has been shown.

And this officer in the shadows, claims the XOfficer's saw FG dealing, yet on the charging document the only offense listed was the alleged switchblade that turned out to not be a switchblade at all.

This comrade is the shadows is just dirtying the jury pool.
In your opinion. As for "dirtying the jury pool" I submit that started with the S.A.'s statements after she described the charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events