Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:07 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The NPR once had some journalistic standards. I see they have joined the ranks of the MSM, and now publish tabloid stories.
Geez how far they've fallen. That article was flippant inaccurate $hit with no intent to inform only to pander to the faithful. I remember when NPR was a bunch of tweedy academic nerds with huge classical music collections and East coast liberal arts degrees. They might have spent a little too much time reporting on exhibitions at the Smithsonian, birding on the Chesapeake and the gaelic roots of Appalachian Mtn music but their political reporting was at least sober, accurate and never snide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty
No matter the real question here is....
  • Do you believe Obama?
Is the special operations exercise in Tx anything other than training? No. In that sense I guess you could say I believe Obama. More like I just trust my own common sense. Texas makes a great training location for operators fighting in the middle East. Geographically much of our state has commonalities with Iraq and Afghanistan. If the object of the exercise were to train operators to drop into a sparsely populated desert landscape, make their way undetected into a major urban area (say Austin) infiltrate and reach some target where political leadership gathers (like the Texas Chili Parlor on Lavaca near the capitol) then this state is a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty
  • Do you believe Texas Governor?
The dumbest worst lawyer in Texas whose biggest accomplishment in private practice was when his neighbor's tree fell on him and he raked in a fat settlement. If not for bad timing, dry rot and gravity this bozo wouldn't have accumulated either the cash or the sympathy points that slid him into office. As if our former governor weren't dumb enough. A D student cheerleader from an East Texas remedial college ... and then we went and doubled down with Abbott.

I think I'll hang out at Hut's and the Chili Parlor and play spot the SEAL. He'll be the quiet hungry homeless looking guy with the solid footwear, his back to a corner and rapidly shifting eyes who's wolfing four cheeseburgers after jogging cross country from his insertion point in Pecos county to lay a mock assassination on a top ISIS leader played by the junior senator from Uvalde who comes every Tuesday for the liver and onions special. That's all this is gonna be, folks.

Last edited by Wee-Bey; 05-05-2015 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:38 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm guessing you're more of a Sheila Jackson Lee fan, huh?
When guessing is all you've got you can't be disappointed by being wrong all the time.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
All I know is that I think it might be a good time to invest in Alcoa Aluminum, it looks like we have lots of people who need to be fitted for tin foil hats

Old 05-05-2015, 07:50 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I LOVE that he's thumbing his nose at that treasonous POTUS of ours.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:30 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If you don't know the difference between monitoring something and a military deployment, maybe you should quit drinking for the day.
I think you're using semantics to make an excuse for our Governor caving in to loonies. I had my celebratory Cinco de Mayo drink, and it was good; but it's a new day so I'll leave you to your ramblings.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
Quote:
Yes, we get it. You believe all Republicans are morons.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution.
Not true at all, but you seem to be in the habit of making assumptions. You know what they say about when you ass/u/me...

I'll break it down for you:

Bush - Born with a silver spoon in his mouth and wasn't very successful in most of his private enterprise endeavors. The exception being the purchase of his share of the Texas Rangers, which I'm sure was more about who you know than what you know.

George W. Bush - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rick Perry - I'll give you three examples of him being a moron

1) Saying Warren Buffett doesn't understand the private sector:
Perry says Warren Buffett ‘doesn’t know what’s going on’ in private sector - Rick Perry 2012 Campaign for President

2) Telling students at Dartmouth the American Revolution happened in the 16th century:
Rick Perry Recalls the American Revolution Happening in the 1500s - The Wire

3) There's one more... I, uh... just can't remember. Oops

Those three happened during the last presidential campaign. Honestly, I hope the moron does run again so I can get a few more laughs in.

Greg Abbot struck me as one during the campaign. Especially during the debates. Give him a few years and I'm sure he'll pile on more examples than just this DEPLOYMENT nonsense.

You partisans... what a sad, sad bunch.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I think you're using semantics to make an excuse for our Governor caving in to loonies. I had my celebratory Cinco de Mayo drink, and it was good; but it's a new day so I'll leave you to your ramblings.
I didn't vote for this particular governor and I personally think this particular reaction was a bit over the top. However, what some people call "pandering," others call "responding to his constituency."

I am uninterested in making excuses for ANY politician (I hold them all in varying degrees of contempt). Just to clarify.

But as a lifelong family member of active duty military and one who has seen countless deployments first hand, I know the difference between the terms "deploy" and "monitor." And the differences are pretty big.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Believe what you want. Texas is hated anyway and has been for a long time because we march to a different tune.

Yet people keep moving here..with a majority coming from the most liberal state in the union..California.

Go figure.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Yes, we get it. You believe all Republicans are morons.

Thanks for the wonderful contribution.
He didn't say that. But this prominent fellow did: Bobby Jindal: GOP needs to 'stop being the stupid party' | TheHill

Mick

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Former Texas Governor Rick Perry, the Pentagon, and the White House have suggested the concerns and Mr Abbott's request were unfounded.
Texas governor criticised for asking troops to monitor federal exercises - BBC News

Boy, you know you've really gone off the nutjob deep-end when even Rick Perry is distancing himself from you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events