Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times

Advertisements

Man suffers broken nose, teeth in South County road rage incident | FOX2now.com

And an updated article:

U.S. Marshal involved in road rage incident in South County : News

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, MO (KTVI) – St. Louis County Police are investigating a road rage incident that happened Sunday near Jefferson Barracks. FOX 2’s Rebecca Roberts sat down with the Bonne Terre couple, who feel they’re lucky to be alive.

Janet and Donald Akers were heading to Jefferson Barracks on Mother’s Day, to place flowers on Janet’s mother’s grave. They never made it.

As they exited I-255 at Telegraph Road, Janet Akers honked her horn when a black Dodge Ram was heading into her lane. She explains, “To let him know, hey, you’re coming over to hit us, and then he backed down, got behind us, and honked and honked and honked, all the way through the intersection.”

Akers gestured to the driver of the truck to pull over in this parking lot, so she could explain why she honked in the first place. Then, she says, “His wife jumped out of the truck. She came over, started yelling at me.” At the same time, Janet Akers recalls the driver got out of his truck and approached their vehicle, armed with a gun.

Donald Akers says, “He held the gun first, I didn’t know if he was going to shoot us or what. But instead, he hit me right across the nose with it. Broke my nose, my sinus cavities, broke my teeth.” Once that happened, Janet Akers admits she fought back. Bystanders broke up the fight.

She then called 911, and took some photos to document the scene. “So the police came, and went over directly to them. And were talking to them, laughing, joking around,” recalls Janet, “We feel like they knew him right off the bat.”

Her husband adds, “[Officers] told us he was an off-duty police officer. That’s exactly what they told us.”

The Akers say Donald wasn’t offered medical treatment right away, and only their car was searched. “They never searched that guy’s truck. He had the gun,” Donald says.

According to St. Louis County Police, this is still an active investigation, so the report, including names of those involved, is sealed.

The St. Louis County Counselor will determine whether charges will be filed, and against whom. Janet Akers is concerned about what will happen next. She says, “I’m scared. I thought they were going to shoot my husband, and I was really scared for that.”​

IBCOPHATER!

How are any of the actions by the off duty LEO justified? He's lucky he didn't get shot. If the driver had a concealed weapons permit, and another person (the officer) is approaching the vehicle with a weapon already out, this might have played out differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events