Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of the time they're called has nothing to do with fires. They sit around all day in the station watching tv and eating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
My point is clearly stated, anyone with a little education should be able to understand the meaning. No?
No, didn't work in this instance.

Mick

Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are you trying to be obtuse? You are so far off base it is pathetic. No one has an issue with female firefighters or female police officers. I do not belong to a boys club and quite frankly, your posts are embarrassing for other women who are actually intelligent enough to understand physical limitations. MANY females DO pass the fitness tests. THIS ONE did not. That is the issue. smh
Really? The post below says otherwise. Women-hating threads are fairly common here on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The lesbians probably all passed. In San Francisco for example many are hard-core. Butch to the max. Probably like nothing better than to beat a man at his own game.

Can`t see the lesbians crying foul for the fitness test being too difficult.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:10 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Yada yada the sky is falling a woman is a fireman and policeman. Holy crap women play sports too. Yeah someone is gonna DIE cause a woman is a firefighter...take your nonsense to your all boys club.
You are correct. Somebody will not die because a woman is a firefighter. But somebody will die because a firefighter cannot perform their job one of which is rescue i.e. dragging out a victim in 500+ degree heat. But she's smart enough to do the job so hopefully she'll be able to come up with a plan on how to remove the victim before the victim succumbs to smoke inhalation. Let's just promote her straight to Battalion Chief. Nope, sorry, can't do that. Everyone does grunt work first.

I don't care who the candidate is. The times for the agility test should be equal across the board. Years ago the times for women candidates were raised from the men's. Fair enough. Next working fire the chief will only assign the lighter, female victims to the female firefighters "out of fairness". Yeah, okay.

So, yes, someone can and will die because a firefighter cannot do their job.

Quote:
All of the BS aside, you either qualify without lowering the standards of you don't get the job. Simple.

Period.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:43 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really? The post below says otherwise. Women-hating threads are fairly common here on CD.

Maybe you should read the whole thread and try to understand what is being said instead of picking one piece out if the whole thread. I guess this is typical of those that are looking to diss something.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Can you read? This thread has not been bashing women and quite a few women on this thread are not happy with the NEW relaxed standards to be a fireman (in response to recent lawsuits).

Cute that you use a post that was posted AFTER mine to negate my post like I could foresee that reaction which, by the way, was a response to the same idiotic post I was responding to.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,545 times
Quote:
Sadly this is a trend in this country now. Allowing unqualified individuals in jobs they cannot do.
It's the liberal feel good lifestyle. Unicorns and rainbows. The heart and an alternate reality rule supreme over any and every decision. The word 'practical' and common sense have no place in the mental disorder known as liberalism.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You are correct. Somebody will not die because a woman is a firefighter. But somebody will die because a firefighter cannot perform their job one of which is rescue i.e. dragging out a victim in 500+ degree heat. But she's smart enough to do the job so hopefully she'll be able to come up with a plan on how to remove the victim before the victim succumbs to smoke inhalation. Let's just promote her straight to Battalion Chief. Nope, sorry, can't do that. Everyone does grunt work first.

I don't care who the candidate is. The times for the agility test should be equal across the board. Years ago the times for women candidates were raised from the men's. Fair enough. Next working fire the chief will only assign the lighter, female victims to the female firefighters "out of fairness". Yeah, okay.

So, yes, someone can and will die because a firefighter cannot do their job.

Period.
To take the devil's advocate side. the problem becomes the professional status of fire fighting with the perks entailed. It is physical labor and like athletes you have a short life. Only once in you are protected by contracts. Otherwise all fire fighters would be men 18 to 30 as the next generation of the most physically capable men move forward and are able to haul more weight up stairs and heavier victims out or burning buildings is being born but looked out by old men holding on to that premier job.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:10 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
As much as I'm in favor of treating women equally, can we just acknowledge that there are a number of jobs that because of the physical differences between men and women that women aren't nearly as suited as men to perform those jobs?

With being a firefighter, I'm sure some women might be able to handle the job, but the thing is there are plenty of men who would be much better at it simply because men are stronger than women. So while women might be qualified mentally for it, if men are physically more suited to be a firefighter then why do we need to put a woman into that job for the sake of equality? Why not as others have said have women put in other positions in the fire department that are more suited for them instead of shoe horning them into a job that they're not fully capable of doing. The same goes for police and being a front line soldier etc.

Women are capable of doing many jobs, but some should just be left for men to do as they're the ones with the physical strength to do it. Equality between the sexes is important, but lets not put a woman into a job that they will do less than optimally when compared to a man in that position simply because of the difference in physicality between men and women.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
BUT, BUT she didn't pass the FITNESS test, the sky is falling. And of course, the Rush Limbaugh fans will question the above woman's sexuality....anything that isn't with her legs in the air is, waiting for the almighty phallice probably, an "evil" lesbian.

Wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events