Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 08:41 AM

37,107 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Folks will use MJ and mix it with anything their hearts desire.

Again it's the responsibility of the user to use common sense and not drive at all if under any influence.

I don't believe she was convicted of MJ use, just driving under the influence of alcohol which is legal.
Sure, folks will use MJ and mix it with anything to their heart's desire. Do we need to make it easier for them to do that? How about people who would not use it at all if it were illegal but will try it if it is?

The DA chose not to charge for the MJ, probably because Florida law requires showing impairment in order to charge. In this case, the alcohol blood level clearly demonstrated impairment. Not charging for the MJ does not mean it did not contribute to the impairment. The science says it did.

There are unintended consequences to legalization, too.

Legal marijuana and the workplace: Legally high, legally fired for pot use - wptv.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The thread is not about alcohol alone or marijuana alone. It's about combining the two.
No, it's about notmeofficer pushing his zero tolerance, 'all cannabis users of every sort are going to hell,' cannabis prohibition screed. This isn't our first rodeo.

Where do you fall on cannabis prohibition, and what do think this incident shows about cannabis legalization? Does this change things? What is your view? And when you think of this and answer, please don't leave out what you think we should do about alcohol because of this incident.

Sorry, but this is not an innocent thread to educate people about the dangers of mixing alcohol (in massive quantities) and cannabis and then driving a car. We're way past that.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
No, it's about notmeofficer pushing his zero tolerance, 'all cannabis users of every sort are going to hell,' cannabis prohibition screed. This isn't our first rodeo.

Where do you fall on cannabis prohibition, and what do think this incident shows about cannabis legalization? Does this change things? What is your view? And when you think of this and answer, please don't leave out what you think we should do about alcohol because of this incident.

Sorry, but this is not an innocent thread to educate people about the dangers of mixing alcohol (in massive quantities) and cannabis and then driving a car. We're way past that.

I am sorry, but after viewing a close,successful, family member go through detox from alcohol I think alcohol is a worse drug by far.

The particular, successful, family, member I believe developed colon cancer and died from it, due to heavy drinking.

So, please, spare me the rhetoric about marijuana.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 AM

...also, alcohol contributes to domestic violence incidents.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 AM

463 posts, read 320,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
...also, alcohol contributes to domestic violence incidents.
In my case, cannabis saved me from a lifetime of alcoholism. I am a daily user of it, and my brother is a daily user of alcohol. Stand us next to each other and compare our health. There is no comparison.

But I think you took Nepenthe's post the wrong way. He is definitely not in the prohibition camp.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
In my case, cannabis saved me from a lifetime of alcoholism. I am a daily user of it, and my brother is a daily user of alcohol. Stand us next to each other and compare our health. There is no comparison.

But I think you took Nepenthe's post the wrong way. He is definitely not in the prohibition camp.
I have a friend as well who used it to break his addiction.

If people are allowed to take anxiety meds, anti-depressants (drugs), then why can't people use their own remedy?

Is that not some type of Constitutional protection or something? You can't tell me the government has a right to my body in America.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:

I am adding to the point. Alcoholism is awful, it contributes to way more health problems than marijuana. The sad thing is doctors, often, use benzos to treat alcohol addiction. Talk about placing a band-aide on a cancer.

I have taken benzos for TERRIBLE anxiety, and guess what? It takes, about, 6 months to a year to develop a tolerance to them.

I am GRATEFUL the doc placed me on blood pressure pills, makes all the difference in the world.

No, I was not addicted to benzos, but after listening to that report on NPR I requested different meds. I was having the "...one extra won't kill me...." so that ended that.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:36 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So we make marijuana legal so it is easier for someone to mix it with alcohol, too?
specious argument. Drunks do plenty of damage without mixing their poison with anything. If you are so concerned you should advocate for criminalizing alcohol.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I am sorry, but after viewing a close,successful, family member go through detox from alcohol I think alcohol is a worse drug by far.

The particular, successful, family, member I believe developed colon cancer and died from it, due to heavy drinking.

So, please, spare me the rhetoric about marijuana.
I think it is far worse as well. I'm unwavering in that view. I don't think it should be prohibited, any more than I think cannabis usage should be prohibited. I'm not sure where you found rhetoric against cannabis in my post.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Alcohol screws up a person's liver. PERIOD. What is the liver? Your body's "detox" system. No, folks you don't need Dr. Oz's special concoctions you can detox your body with a liver, unless you drink like a fish.

So, I imagine your brother has the tell tale nose, veins around the face, and belly. That is how you can tell a heavy drinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events