Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 AM

219 posts, read 299,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Ms Mendoza... who regularly spoke about her marijuana and alcohol use on public media killed two innocent people as she drove the wrong way on the freeway.

More carnage upon the rest of us through drug abuse and the " its just a plant" faulty mentality

Links all over..

'2 drunk 2 care' Kayla Maria Mendoza hears from victims' families after fatal crash | Daily Mail Online

I posted this link because it shows the victims... and yes it was alcohol AND mj in her system...

Its more than just say no... its hell no...

Weed does not make you drive the wrong way down the road. That's alcohol. The liquid that's promoted every 10 minutes on TV as something you need to have a good time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Weed does not make you drive the wrong way down the road. That's alcohol. The liquid that's promoted every 10 minutes on TV as something you need to have a good time.
Please reread the forty pages of this thread
Substantial information and evidence had been proffered about the synergistic effects mj has upon DUI when added to alcohol intoxication.
There has also been voluminous discussion about WHY this happened. The girl who committed these murders lived a substance focused life promoting her use of them ...marijuana being one focus of her existence. She will have the next 20 years.. more like 10-12 after sentence reduction for good behavior to think about her chosen path. Her victims will never have that choice ... they are in the ground.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2015, 11:11 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Substantial information and evidence had been proffered about the synergistic effects mj has upon DUI when added to alcohol intoxication.
There has also been voluminous discussion about WHY this happened. The girl who committed these murders lived a substance focused life promoting her use of them ...marijuana being one focus of her existence. She will have the next 20 years.. more like 10-12 after sentence reduction for good behavior to think about her chosen path. Her victims will never have that choice ... they are in the ground.

Thanks
The bolded statement is so true. Some of the proffered studies have had as many as 12 subjects!

Kidding aside, nobody, as far as I can see, is questioning that multiple intoxicants are more intoxicating than single intoxicants. Those who are in disagreement regarding this thread are questioning:
1) What benefit the war of drugs has had over these years. If there is more cannabis use nowadays, it is quite obvious that the billions of taxpayer dollars we are spending is and has been a complete waste.
2) Why are we focusing on cannabis when the story originally linked states the the person was intoxicated on a HUGE amount of alcohol?
3) Why am I wasting my time even responding, as these points have been addressed and ignored scores of times in the past 40 pages?

Never mind. Here come more accusations, generalizations and insults from the OP.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:41 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:

Thanks
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti...urvey_2014.pdf

Generally I'm pretty much in the do whatever you want with your own body as long as you do it responsibly. There's no clear evidence that marijuana contributes to crash risk. There's enough out there that it does impair driving skills although that too is pretty mixed. Some studies find huge huge impairments in driving skills, others find slight impairment, still others find none at all.

Specifically for crash risk, at least per the NHTSA, marijuana is not statistically significant after adjusting for age, gender and ethnicity. Young people are more like to use marijuana and more likely to crash, sober or not sober. Also there's no evidence of any synergistic effect. THC + alcohol statistical is no more predictive of crash risk than an alcohol alone. That's limited. It could be that people that have THC + alcohol have less alcohol. If it's the case that people with THC + alcohol have a lower level of alcohol than people with alcohol alone, then clearly there would be synergistic effect.

Alcohol is kind of interesting. Very low levels of alcohol actually decrease crash risk. I'm talking very low, <.02. My assumption would be that's because people have a beer and then figure they might be slightly impaired and pay more attention. Much beyond a beer and all that goes out the window. Even at the legal limit, your crash risk is already 400% higher than with no alcohol. Nothing else even gets close to that level of risk.

All said and done, I wouldn't champion driving while stoned. There's enough out there for me to conclude it impairs driving skills even if there's no increase in crash risk. If you have to pick one that's worth than the other though, it's alcohol by an indisputable landslide, even at half the legal limit let alone above it.

The other problem with a specifically level of THC in the blood stream doesn't have any correlation to level of impairment in any way. With alcohol, it's alcohol level in your blood that affects the brain. That isn't how THC works. The uptake of THC from the blood stream to the fatty tissue is rapid. It sits around in your fatty tissue far longer than it does in your blood stream. If you went and got your self completely blazed, within an hour you'd have very low levels of THC left in the blood stream. Half life in the fatty tissues of the brain, however, is more along the lines of four hours. Really all a high THC content in the blood stream is going to tell you is that someone smoked recently, within generally 30 minutes or less.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-17-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 02:43 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:

Please tell me again how being stoned makes you a better driver.. love the CD posters that state that . .
Ever driven with THC in your system?

Yes, and I didn't like it. It made me paranoid and I had to drive like half the speed limit.

Drunk driving OTOH quite frankly I found very enjoyable. I felt like I was gliding in a happy dream.

But really, the biggest problem on the road is SLEEP DEPRIVATION. I'd much rather share the road w someone on THC. Maybe even more than a drunk person. I certainly would be more concerned (from an ETHICAL standpoint not legal) about someone leaving my company to drive home sleep deprived vs on weed or alcohol. I know multiple people who have died this way and I once totally my car on the way to work after not enough sleep.

Drowsy Driving: Asleep at the Wheel | Features | CDC

"Cognitive impairment after approximately 18 hours awake is similar to that of someone with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.05%.8-10*After about 24 hours awake, impairment is equivalent to a BAC of 0.10%, higher than the legal limit in all states.

In addition, lower levels of alcohol (below the legal limit) amplify the effects of inadequate sleep."

Old 05-18-2015, 03:17 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Ms Mendoza... who regularly spoke about her marijuana and alcohol use on public media killed two innocent people as she drove the wrong way on the freeway.

More carnage upon the rest of us through drug abuse and the " its just a plant" faulty mentality

Links all over..

'2 drunk 2 care' Kayla Maria Mendoza hears from victims' families after fatal crash | Daily Mail Online

I posted this link because it shows the victims... and yes it was alcohol AND mj in her system...

Its more than just say no... its hell no...
I've been telling idiots for years that marijuana DOES INDEED AFFECT YOUR DRIVING. I've said it countless times on this fricken forum, and I will continue to do so: I am still dealing with a jacked up spine, living in pain, with no end in sight from a car accident in May of 1999 when I was hit by a drug addled loser. He was high on pot.

Every single time someone says, "it wasn't the pot", I want them to take one day of the pain that I have. Just take one. And no, you don't get any marijuana to stop feeling, you feel every last second of the day since you think marijuana doesn't affect driving.

I don't care what you do to yourselves. You can destroy your brain, you can overdose for all I care, but STAY OUT OF YOUR CARS when you do that garbage.

If any of you are dumb enough to believe that the "Pot Princess" didn't toke up before driving home, you are seriously deluded. I've seen exactly what a mixture of alcohol and pot does to people. They certainly are too ****** to care. It's bad enough driving drunk, or driving after smoking pot, but then this dumb hag mixes the two...don't even try to deny that she didn't toke up. If you are in the least bit honest, you KNOW she did, whether this particular news outlet said she did or not.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:14 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:

Thanks

Wow, that's disgusting! I feel for her victims. Selfish idiot--I wish she'd go away for life.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
I think the depth of the issue of impaired driving has been revealed clearly in this thread. Mj users are telling us how "less impaired" they are compared to other impaired drivers

Is there anything that can justify impairment and driving in any fashion with any mind altering drug onboard. Mj proponents try to shift responsibility from their own addictions as the new normal . In my area 1 out of every 50 drivers is DUI during daylight...it changes to 2 in 5 after 2am. Now 50% of the DUI arrestees self report poly drug use with marijuana.

Every third car.. bullet...coming at you altered...

Washington is now selling THC infused coffee... what does that mean to me?
Duid... people heading to work..if they do work.. high.. just lovely.. we need more of this garbage

My heartfelt sorrow for the poster injured for life by someone who was irresponsible with drugs

The drumbeat of people who are altered is that they are not a problem.... ask the person whose life is affected because of the its just a plant mantra worked out for them

If you toke don't operate the spokes

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-18-2015 at 06:30 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 06:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
I think the depth of the issue of impaired driving has been revealed clearly in this thread. Mj users are telling us how "less impaired" they are compared to other impaired drivers

Is there anything that can justify impairment and driving in any fashion with any mind altering drug onboard. Mj proponents try to shift responsibility from their own addictions as the new normal . In my area 1 out of every 50 drivers is DUI during daylight...it changes to 2 in 5 after 2am. Now 50% of the DUI arrestees self report poly drug use with marijuana.

Every third car.. bullet...coming at you altered...

Washington is now selling THC infused coffee... what does that mean to me?
Duid... people heading to work..if they do work.. high.. just lovely.. we need more of this garbage

My heartfelt sorrow for the poster injured for life by someone who was irresponsible with drugs

The drumbeat of people who are altered is that they are not a problem.... ask the person whose life is affected because of the its just a plant mantra worked out for them

If you toke don't operate the spokes

Your so unreasonable its just blatantly obvious to everybody.

We're all adults here. We can reason. Look at stats. Think about and look at empirical evidence.

Why do you think that your everybody's parent?? And why are you trying to push an agenda that has no statistical premise in the first place??

IMO, and its my opinion, your disgracing the profession.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Every third car... bullet...coming at you altered...
It just wouldn't be Monday morning without some classic fear-mongering from notmeofficer.

Here's some food for thought too:

Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds
Conservatives Feel World is Dark and Unsafe
Unconscious Reactions Separate Liberals and Conservatives
Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are... Conservative
GOP Voters Have Larger Fear Centers in Brain, Are Susceptible To ‘Psychological Authoritarianism’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events