Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:38 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Now I give away stuff by putting it out by the curb and posting the name of the street on CL. I never give out my address or answer emails.
Why use Craigslist at all if you're just giving something away? Just drop it off at the Salvation Army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Years ago, I had someone who wanted to come by the house when I wasn't there, so I left the item on my front porch under a seat cushion. He later sent me an email describing how he had gone all around the house and peered into each window. It was so creepy I called my husband and asked him to come home immediately. (And the item was still there under the seat cushion.)

Now I give away stuff by putting it out by the curb and posting the name of the street on CL. I never give out my address or answer emails.
That's scary! I'm glad you found a solution for the future, though. And what you do now is much smarter than what some others do and is something that I'll look into. Although, for me, living in NYC, I can only really leave things in front of my house (not in front of others' homes or at the corner, least I risk being ticketed/fined), which sort of give where I live if I use this approach; moreover, we can only curb certain items one day a week without fear of being ticketed.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why use Craigslist at all if you're just giving something away? Just drop it off at the Salvation Army.
Because it saves a trip to the Salvation Army. Also, at least in my experience, I don't always have a way to move a large item such as a couch over to, say, the Salvation Army. Craiglist is so much more convenient in that regard as interested parties will come to you.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:27 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
The Salvation Army picks up large donated items from homes for free. Occasionally see their trucks driving around.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:29 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I always meet at a public place...and take my firearm.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The Salvation Army picks up large donated items from homes for free. Occasionally see their trucks driving around.
Thanks! I did not know this. Still, I'd imagine that, for some and in some instances where time is of the essence, Craigslist may be a quicker way to get rid of things? And, of course, this doesn't get into the smaller items that one can bring in oneself, but that are still a pain in the butt to do so.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
So sad and scary. My heart goes out to his family. Craigslist was a good idea when it started. But now... wouldn't use it for anything.

Way better to go through consignment houses for most household goods and clothes. (We have a place called TurnStyle in Phoenix that works well for me.) And there are many other options for selling your car. It's almost better to put an ad on the car window while you drive it around. Buy a temporary phone from some place like Cricket or Ting and use that number for the sale. Meet in a public place and always bring someone with you. Carrying is also a great idea.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:35 PM

43 posts, read 48,644 times
Sad, but you have to keep things in perspective. For every case like this, there are probably millions of craigslist transactions that take place peacefully. You're probably 10000x more likely to be killed while driving to the meetup.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:38 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on CL and I have met some very strange people on there. They either don't show up or they try to beat you down before even seeing the item.

So sorry to hear about the young man, hope they catch the idiot who did it.

Don

Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It was a car. You don't drop those off at Salvation Army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events