Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,485,985 times

Advertisements

I think that the son of the mom who created the firestorm needs to learn to say no, and walk away from situations that make him uncomfortable. He will need to find the courage throughout the rest of his life to stand up for what he feels is the right thing without Mommie's intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 03:12 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
By 1803, less than a decade after the ratification of the Constitution New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Ohio had outlawed slavery. Indiana, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, California, Minnesota, Oregon and Kansas entered into the Union as free states.
Ironically, Illinois*, Indiana and Ohio not only outlawed slavery, but they also out lawed free blacks from settling there. So, one might say that these states were totally uhmm..... "free" from black people.

*though slavery was illegal in illinois, unwritten understandings were made for a few Illinois slave holders which allowed them to keep their slaves.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:23 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,553,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I think it should have a bearing on their college admission. It demonstrates how clueless they are to societal perception and how little they know about American history. If they did this impulsively (as the OP suggests even though s/he likely does not KNOW) that also suggests they don't think before they act. If I were a college administrator, I'd be attuned to that.

I was quite a rebel myself in my college days, yet it never once occurred to me to demonstrate that through display of a flag symbolizing a movement that acted to destroy the union of the United States of America and led to the bloody deaths of more than half a million of our citizens.

I find it puzzling that some of the same people who are horrified by movements like Occupy or the Black Panthers or other anti-government groups (including ordinary liberals in some cases), enthusiastically support the continual display of artifacts related to the political movement that actual DID almost destroy this country.
Frankly, I am grateful what you "Think" is not part of what lest a kid go to college.

They seem to be thinking just fine. Nice photo.

I am glad that young folks keep their History alive, and keep sight of where they came from.

Your puzzled because that seems to be an ordinary state of mind for Conservatives since they are the ones that are anti-Government, and are constantly attacking it and our President. You don't know who is who, so no wonder your confused.

Need some proof? Go through posts and see how many times your folks attack the Government and the President. Get unconfused.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:24 PM

7,577 posts, read 5,299,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Ironically, Illinois*, Indiana and Ohio not only outlawed slavery, but they also out lawed free blacks from settling there. So, one might say that these states were totally uhmm..... "free" from black people.
So true, but the discussion isn't about the universal racism of 19th century America is it?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:48 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,965,118 times
I don't know why, or how it happened, that schools suddenly have authority over kids and what they do when they are not at school. Not saying these kids aren't idiots, not saying that are, saying it irrelevant because the picture was not at school. This country is getting way too nanny state invasive. If the idiots that run most of the public schools can't even educate kids to read at an 8th grade level maybe they should stick to the mastery of teaching the basics instead of trying to become mom or dad, or the enforcer of political correctness outside of school time. Just a thought.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:20 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,448,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I found the difference in reactions from regular posters interesting between the two topics. One set of children is just goofing off and having fun, the other is mini-criminal.
It happens all the time. When white college kids riot they are blowing off steam. Just impressionable young people. When blacks kids do the same they are thugs. These same people who see goofy in the photo felt that the 12 year old with a toy gun in Cleveland was a thug and deserve to be murdered by the police.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
The secessionists themselves seem to disagree with you. They were 100% clear that they were fighting a war to protect the institution of slavery. You are spouting revisionist history BS.].
You didn't actually say anything that I said was incorrect. Those are facts that are not under dispute.

Feel free to prove this. Otherwise, you are only stating opinion.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:32 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,480,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
By 1803, less than a decade after the ratification of the Constitution New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont and Ohio had outlawed slavery. Indiana, Illinois, Maine, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, California, Minnesota, Oregon and Kansas entered into the Union as free states. So it is a bit disingenuous to claim that slavery was universal aspect of the United States prior to the Civil War.
Nope. You left out Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland and Missouri. Furthermore, when Tennessee was captured by the Union early in the war, the slave trade was continued to be legal there by the USA.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:48 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would have been interested to read the kids' responses to an interviewer asking them what they thought posing with guns and the Confederate flag was all about. Would be enlightening-- although I imagine a few of the responses would have been "d'uh…"
Want to know? Most of them did not have a clue. Two kids apologized saying they did it because of peer pressure (i.e., teen political correctness) and are sorry they did.

"This prom photo– featuring a group of students huddled around a Confederate flag while holding guns– is stirring up major controversy, and now one student pictured is saying that the idea simply wasn’t cool. I was very uncomfortable with this whole situation and didn't know what to say or what to do," the student, who asked to remain anonymous, said. "I don't condone any of the actions that were in the picture and I don't condone anything that has to do with the flag."

“When my son attended that school, he was hanging out with boys who think it’s cool to be on the rebellious side, and they stand for a ‘pro-America’ type of thing,” she says. “I had previously seen one of the kids he hangs out with hanging that flag in the back of his truck, and we warned our son. We said, ‘Do you know what this means?’ and he said, ‘It just means pro-country, Southern stuff...."

I think the photo is an embarrassment to the country--flash it across the rest of the world and they will say--oh--it's those idiot Americans and their obsession with guns.

Personally, the photo reminds me of those photos you see of ISIS jihadists--they've got their costumes and their big guns looking like it somehow makes them cool, when the reality is they look ridiculous.

Student Says 'Sorry' For This Offensive Confederate Flag Prom Photo - MTV

Teen posing with guns, Confederate flag in prom pic apologizes | AL.com

Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
It happens all the time. When white college kids riot they are blowing off steam. Just impressionable young people. When blacks kids do the same they are thugs. These same people who see goofy in the photo felt that the 12 year old with a toy gun in Cleveland was a thug and deserve to be murdered by the police.
Excellent point--that is so true. If these were black kids dressed up hip hop costumes holding guns and a racist flag, the same posters claiming these kids were just showing a flag representing "those brave men..yada, yada" would be aghast with disgust and calling them disgusting names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events