Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,432 times

Advertisements

I agree with those who say the kids are probably really smart and come from families which emphasize excellence. I also think that this thread was started by a hater who wanted to stir up an ugly race conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I agree with those who say the kids are probably really smart and come from families which emphasize excellence. I also think that this thread was started by a hater who wanted to stir up an ugly race conversation.
Their motivations aside, it does point out the cold hard fact that if you are Emily Zhang, daughter of a nuerosurgeon, nice nuclear family, all the extra-curiculars...all the best schools with a 1500 SAT....you're not getting into most, Ivy's let alone all 8 unless you have something special going on behind the scenes.

I'd be curious to know what the SAT scores were for those kids.

I personally agree with the reasoning of going after high scoring kids that overcame tough personal situations as grit like that is a critical quality. But let's not kid ourselves that these schools aren't keenly aware of their ethnic make-ups and as such are keenly interested in adding kids like from the article instead of the Emily Zhang types....even if their back-stories and scores were identical.

It's just reality.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:03 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Congratulations to those children and all the best, there is nothing else to wish for.

We will never know if these children SAT score is high or low, but we will know they graduated from an excellent school and can choose a good life for them.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I'd be curious to know what the SAT scores were for those kids.

SAT scores were perfect- near perfect. Very few students test in this range. The Bulgarian kid with a perfect score borrowed practice tests from his local library.

As remarkable, is that all but 2 were educated in non- selective public schools. The two private schools were non religious/ denominational. How many parents with kids in the same schools, especially the public schools, blame the school for their kid's lack of performance?

Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Congratulations to those children and all the best, there is nothing else to wish for.

We will never know if these children SAT score is high or low, but we will know they graduated from an excellent school and can choose a good life for them.
They tested perfect or near perfect on the SAT.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
SAT scores were perfect- near perfect. Very few students test in this range. The Bulgarian kid with a perfect score borrowed practice tests from his local library.

As remarkable, is that all but 2 were educated in non- selective public schools. The two private schools were non religious/ denominational. How many parents with kids in the same schools, especially the public schools, blame the school for their kid's lack of performance?
I fully agree with your points about the public schools, I'm a big supporter of them (in general). I think that most of the "blame the schools" crowd are referencing lower quality public schools but even then....most of those complaints are (I agree) a load of BS.

Did it actually state their SAT scores? Because "near perfect" when looking for Ivy admission is a narrow margin. Not that I'd look at someone who scored a 1540 and then turn to someone with a 1500 and go "dummy!"

Also, none of them looked particularily tall and athletic and unless you are a great basketball player....Harvard isn't going to let you in with sub-excellent academics....well, unless your last name is "special" like Bush, Gore, Clinton etc.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
When I was applying for specialized HS in NYC, they were thinking about applying quotas on certain race because there were too many Asians and not enough Hispanics and Blacks that were less than 2% of those specialized HS. Of course the Black community says the testing standards are unfair to Blacks and Hispanics.

I must remind them that many of the Asian immigrants that come into this country are poorer than blacks and don't have food stamps or welfare.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Good for them. They show that hard work can pay off no matter what your background or childhood is

Old 05-11-2015, 12:54 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Also keep in mind, attending an expensive school on scholarship is no fun......kids are stressed out knowing their lack of wealth makes them an outsider to classmates and they fret asking for help from home
The Challenge Of Being Poor At America's Richest Colleges - Forbes

Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's quite a feat!

Quote:
I understand about applying for 2 or 3 different schools in case one doesn't accept them, but to apply to college at more than 8 different schools
seems to be the height of indecisiveness
It's not. If you know you are a candidate for an Ivy and if that sort of thing is important OF COURSE you will apply to all of them. The idea that applying to multiple schools is somehow a negative is ridiculous. Most people hope that out of all their apps at least 1 makes the cut, and limiting yourself can set you up for a huge fail if your "chosen 3" or whatever decide to look elsewhere for next year's incoming class. It's happened to many. I would encourage anyone working at a competitive level to increase their odds and apply all over. And as these kids have discovered, it's good to have choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events