Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,448,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Exactly. When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.
Not true. Depends on the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,909,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This is the second time that an employee posting on Facebook, etc., has gotten someone fired in just a week.

Last week a woman (a single mother) had finally gotten a job working for a day care center and made the national news.

The day she was to go to work, she posted on Facebook that she started her new job today. Then went on to say she hated the job, and that she hated being around a bunch of small children. She was on the late shift, and when she got to work she was told to leave as she was fired because they did not need someone that hated being around small children, and as she had not worked yet, there was no final check.
In your story there at least should have been a check for the gas used to get there. They could have called her BEFORE she came in. If I was her I would be demanding it.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,760,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually, the funny thing about cops is, they'll probably treat her just like everyone else if she is in trouble and needs a cop.

Yes they would. I have seen where the cops were chasing a criminal and the criminal wrecked his car. The cops didn't care at that moment if he was running from them or not, they still put themselves in harms way to drag his sorry butt out of the burning wreck. They do that sort of thing day in and day out, yet some people fail to get it.

Don

Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,677,412 times
They were right to fire her. She's not worth possibly losing business over.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:55 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,080,576 times
If I were the CEO of Subway, I would pay her to go work undercover at Quiznos, Chipotle or Blimpie.

Mick

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 7,811 times
I don't need to boycott Subway. I never eat there anyway.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,045,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Why would she go on welfare as the next possible step to losing her job? How about she get another job? I'm sure there is another company out there that would be willing to give her another chance.

Actions have consequences. She didn't just say something stupid, she said something vile. The company has every right to NOT want that sort of thinking associated with their brand.

Would all of you defending her have the same opinion if she'd celebrated the death of a gay person?
This person made the national news. She'll probably have to wait until the controversy dies down to get in a low key way. Besides, there is an overabundance of low skill workers like this, especially somewhere in MS.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
so one bad egg says something negative on social media and they hold the entire company responsible? who is calling for the boycott? sounds like a dirty tactic to quell dismay about police tactics lately. soon it will be illegal to say anything at all about them. no one crying about free speech now?
I agree, as no business can control nor be responsible for every single stupid thing an employee might do or say.
As to free speech, I think people should have the ability to say what they want without being ruined for life in the private industry.
Sure Subway was smart to fire him, but that does not mean he should be barred for life from ever working again.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:38 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,482,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Would you give her a job if you had a company? If no, why would anyone else give her a job? Clearly, she is only qualified to be a minimum wage worker (i.e., likely no education, experience or skills). Why hire her when her name is all over the Internet, and you can easily hire someone else for the same position. Moreover, if you hire her, you and your business will be the target of the Internet outrage mafia.

That happens gazillion times on social media every day. Don't believe me, go do a search. No consequence or outrage unless someone famous or notable is doing it. BTW, I am not defending this lady in any shape or form.
But I also think it ought not be a life sentence of unemployment and death threats. She should be taught a lesson but her "punishment" has to be proportional to her crime (speech).

Mick
You make a fascinating argument. No other employer would hire her because they'd become targets of the internet outrage mafia, so Subway should be legally forced to keep her and subject their business to the outrage.

This is a clear 'just cause' termination.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,572,515 times
Some people have no common sense.

I don't think anyone's death should be celebrated. But then she's not the first to celebrate the death of someone. Over the years, we've seen hundreds of people celebrating someone's death whether they were decent people or not. Osama bin Laden etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events