Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:53 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
It's within the rights of an employer to say to the employee "this company-issued laptop/tablet/phone is our property. Don't alter it without permission." Disabling the app probably violated the tacit or explicit terms of use. The simple solution would be to use the work phone during working hours and use a personal phone for everything else. Too many people I know think that because the company issued them a device, then the device is their personal property. It isn't. It's for their use, but the company has the right to control what's on the device and how that data is used.
And her manager bragging that he knows how fast she drives at all times even when not at work, that's not a violation of terms of use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Uninstalling an app is not destroying property. It can just be reinstalled for the next sucker, I mean employee.

As for the tracking, she may not have known about it up front. Even if they did mention it, she might not have realized the level of intrusion until later. Regardless no company has a right to force employees to accept them as Big Brother when they are off the clock. That is treating employees like prisoners or slaves.

Well that's the big question, isn't it? Do they have that right or not? Supposedly the government does not have that right, but that doesn't stop it from happening. And with private entities you have the added factor of the voluntary contract being involved. You are not required to take a job with a certain company, you are not required to use apps that track you on your smart phone, you are not required to use google or bing to do your web searches. Of course it is nearly impossible to participate in modern life if you don't do at least some of these things but that is a more macro problem than a micro one and may not be the responsibility of any one single private entity.

It's a discussion that our society is going to need to have, but like so many other important discussions we need to have, I'm not sure we're ready for it yet.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And her manager bragging that he knows how fast she drives at all times even when not at work, that's not a violation of terms of use?
That's not a violation, it's just her manager being a jerk.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
I hope she wins.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Directly on topic: The manager was being a jerk. Requiring someone carry a company phone and be on call 24/7 is not unreasonable for certain job descriptions. Requiring GPS tracking of company property is not unreasonable.

Using that technology to intentionally track employees during personal time is unacceptable, and IMO no different than stalking. "On call" is not the same as "on duty". What if the employer could remotely access the microphone and camera of the phone? This is theoretically possible, and can be used in cases of theft. Would it be acceptable to turn on the mic and camera while she was "getting to know" her significant other?

Related question: Many police forces require officers to go armed 24/7, on or off duty. Many police forces are now requiring on-duty officers to wear body cameras. Assume this is a city-owned firearm and the city would be liable for any shooting. Would it be acceptable for the city to want to GPS track and even camera-monitor the weapon at all times, even when the officer is off-duty?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I mean - I kind of would have liked some kind of app like this on my phone when my job required meeting people in their home - often far away in the boonies with no one knowing where I was or when I was expected back. Sometimes scary.

But . . freedom is good.

Personal time is necessary.

It will be interesting to see what transpires.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
She should have hid her phone somewhere inconspicuous at his house (in the garden, etc.) all night long. Sooner or later, he'd notice the location, and will be all creeped out when he can't find her or the phone anywhere. He'd be scared of the psycho, bunny-boiling employee.

Mick

Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...xcomplaint.pdf

It's unclear from the lawsuit whether the phones were company issued or personal phones. The complaint states that employees were required to install the software on their smartphones.

She is also suing because Intermex hired her with the understanding that she would continue to work for her previous employer for three months. Her health insurance with Intermex would not take affect for three months, and she suffers from health issues requiring ongoing medical care. Her old company didn't know that she was also working for Intermex.

When Intermex fired her, they also went to the trouble of contacting her old company, informing them that she'd also been working for Intermex, and thus was disloyal. She was fired by her old company and the phone call was cited as the reason for her termination.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
As an IT Security Consultant, I can say that I don't need your GPS turned on in order to track you with the right tools. I've worked with companies that have fired people not because of their GPS. Because they were lying about where they were. We don't need your GPS location these days. It's more accurate to have GPS but with Geo Proximity data, companies like Google, NSA, and many other companies can track you without GPS.

The way it's done is that sometimes you are using the internet on your phone and you suddenly get ads that are related to the location that you are nearby. You may not have GPS turned on but because there are WIFI and Mobile Signal towers nearby that can report what devices are connected then Google or other services can analyze and provide relevant ads or searches to you.

Feel free to disable these features yourself.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:35 PM

573 posts, read 585,236 times
This has GOT to STOP! At what point are we going to draw a line with these overbearing employers? You people sit here discussing whether this is ok as more and more freedoms go out the window. The power is already almost fully with businesses, and each time we tip-toe around an issue like this, we fall further behind. This is NOT ok, and we have to take a stand before it is too late. Start electing people who aren't whores to lobbyists, and write your congressmen and let them know employee rights matter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events