Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
I am thinking that this is different. He's the only witness to what really happened. You're saying this person has a right to keep silence, even though he held peoples' lives in his hands?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculator View Post
If a student died in a teacher's classroom, wouldn't that teacher be forced to testify?
Nope.

Like it or not, that's our Constitution.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Isn't Positive Train Control supposed to stop the train in such a case?
There is no PTC on that part of the tracks.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Wrong. The technology to prevent this type of disaster exists, if the tightwads in Congress would just fund it.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/397/792/...ATK-12-023.pdf

AmTrak blows over $80 million a year in food service theft and waste. They get plenty of money. If it were privatized, the money would be going where it is needed. Airlines don't lose that kind of money just in food. Install vending machines and get rid of the food servers and use the money on safety instead.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 AM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Amtrak Engineer "Has Absolutely No Recollection" of Deadly Crash, Lawyer Says | NBC New York

Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,202,675 times
Like I mentioned before, the section if straight track had a much higher speed limit. Like cars on the highway, if the limit is 80 most are gonna do 90-95.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
AmTrak blows over $80 million a year in food service theft and waste. They get plenty of money. If it were privatized, the money would be going where it is needed. Airlines don't lose that kind of money just in food. Install vending machines and get rid of the food servers and use the money on safety instead.
If you privatize, many routes through the Red States would be eliminated because they are low ridership, money losers. I don't care because I would't be affected, but the constituents in those states might be very upset.

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 05:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
First off, this was not a freight train. It was Amtrak. Freights are limited to 69 mph max in limited areas (and these are almost always intermodal), but that is not the point. The speed limit for Amtrak trains through this stretch is 50 (from what I've seen so far). This stretch of track is not ran on by freights according to the news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
If you privatize, many routes through the Red States would be eliminated because they are low ridership, money losers. I don't care because I would't be affected, but the constituents in those states might be very upset.

Mick
Just an aside.

Are you guys old enough to remember when ALL passenger rail was private? The Pennsylvania RR was the biggest corporation in the world at one time. They never made a profit on passenger rail as far as I know. And eventually it went bankrupt after a vain attempt at joining the PRR with the New York Central.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I doubt it. Very few people in Red States rely on trains and we don't have the high density seen in the Northeast. Most would agree that they should be cost effective.

We have Southwest and cars. That's what get's us where we are going.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I doubt it. Very few people in Red States rely on trains and we don't have the high density seen in the Northeast. Most would agree that they should be cost effective.

We have Southwest and cars. That's what get's us where we are going.
You are right, but I am not sure that "most" would agree. Politicians from those states have been adamant about keeping the long routes through their areas. To be fair, that could be because of many reasons, not necessarily representing the wishes of their constituents.

I know that Amtrak is reluctant to cut long routes for the fear that if only 23 states have Amtrak service, the politicians of the other 27 states would have no reservations about cutting its budget or taking other adverse actions. These long routes are responsible for most of Amtrak's losses, so we can't fairly attribute its losses to just waste and theft.

Here is an interesting read from the Cato Institute about downsizing Amtrak. Privatizing Amtrak | Downsizing the Federal Government

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,533 times
Default Amtrak Engineer Has No Memory of What Happened.

Lawyer for Amtrak Engineer Says He Has No Recollection of the Crash

Do you believe his lawyer advised the engineer to say so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events