Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:05 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times

Advertisements

I also have mixed feelings about this case. I think off the grid living or Homestead simple living is great but if it endangers children in any way, then no its not ok but not sure if thats true in this case. If the living conditions were not acceptable for kids, then it seems only right theyre taken untill the parents can fix the issue. I also agree, this unschooling doesnt sound right either.. all kids should have a chance to learn and be educated in the right manner. Homeschooling is fine, but this doesnt sound like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No, it can't, and I'm getting really sick of hearing about teenagers turning 18, and having no education, having never been to school, and having no birth certificate. Because their moron anti-government parents, don't believe in that stuff.

We are spending a lot of tax money in this country to provide all children with education. If you have children, take advantage of it, or spend your own money to get them a private education. If you don't want to do that, then you should rot in prison for the rest of your life, in my opinion.
Huh. I'm really sick of hearing about teenagers turning 18 and having no education, having been through public school.

Also, if you are going to rant about education, could you do the rest of us a favor and use proper grammar and punctuation?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,484,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
They thought they were having fun, because you designed it that way....you homeschooled, you didn't unschool. It seems to me you are a lot different than the family in question. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

I realize you're all feels and love but what about safety? I think that is a form of love isn't it?

Beg pardon? Where is this coming from?

You just can't let it go, can you, PS?

I know what form of education I employed when teaching my children and it doesn't require analysis from you. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and you're starting to sorely test my wonderful disposition!

Of course my family isn't anything like the OP family; whoever said it was? I've been up for 29 hours and have had about enough of your Hitler routine.

I urge you not to test me on this point.

Mahrie.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This is called identity abuse. The OP family is guilty of this too. It makes it very difficult to function as an adult in the world, without proof of identity.
So, get the child a DNA test, which will establish parentage. Once familial ties are established there should be no problem printing out the paperwork, or am I missing something?

Jesse.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, she stated in the video that her parents refused to sign the papers. Maybe they don't want her escaping......
Or maybe they're not her birth parents. Kidnapping isn't a rare phenomenon, unfortunately.

I'm not an attorney, but surely there are legal channels she can utilize to mandate a DNA test for her mother and father. Any family law experts on this forum?

Jesse.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And what happens when these anti-government people start going up into the hills, living like hermits, having kids, not getting them birth certificates, not sending them to school, and not cooperating to help get them documents? What happens when the kids become adults?

If the parents want to live like that, thats their business. But the kids have a right to have an education and a future. This is why we have had compulsory education laws for over a 150 years. These people should not be allowed to undo a 150 years of progress.
What??

What happens?? Do they spontaneously combust or something, lol?

What happens??

What happens when public opinion and the local government desides they dont like something about your life?? What?? What happens??

A lot of you talk like these kids are illiterate. Anyone who is not completely illiterate can get a GED if that becomes an issue in their life. There is an answer for every mundane problem presented so far on this thread.

What happens if they like their lifestyle, and want to continue to be with their family, and maybe even continue in their parents footsteps??

What??

What happens??

Where is the progress of which you speak? I dont think indoor plumbing out-weighs family, and having a non-traumatic life.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:01 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Beg pardon? Where is this coming from?

You just can't let it go, can you, PS?

I know what form of education I employed when teaching my children and it doesn't require analysis from you. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and you're starting to sorely test my wonderful disposition!

Of course my family isn't anything like the OP family; whoever said it was? I've been up for 29 hours and have had about enough of your Hitler routine.

I urge you not to test me on this point.

Mahrie.
Threat taken Mahrie!
We will have to just agree to disagree on this issue. I promise I will not test you on this point again. You should get some sleep.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Where is the progress of which you speak? I dont think indoor plumbing out-weighs family, and having a non-traumatic life.
Education, not indoor plumbing.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:33 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I think it's more a question if you have the guts to read the link randomparent posted.

Well I had the guts to read the article but obviously the writer didn't do his research all that well. He states the kids got sick - written on their blog but then goes on to write
"Food poisoning. Or was it? They, “the children” had eaten some unidentified “food” with out asking their mother if it was safe to eat.
Was it some of the wild mushrooms featured in many photos on the “Blessed Little Homestead” (BLH) Facebook page?
" Was it rotting left over food sitting in any number of the unwashed and grime incrusted Tupperware and plastic containers lying scattered around the open air “kitchen” (really a stack of bricks filled with open flame and topped with rusty and filth incrusted wire racks)?"

Now if he had taken the time to read the comments - the mother clearly states what was eaten and by whom and why 3 of the children didn't get sick.

" Jennifer Gove left over pancakes. They were put in a bread bag from Wednesday morning. They are them Thursday after lunch.

I asked Quinten and Olivia why they didn't eat them. Olivia said she took a bite and it tasted funny. Quinten said it smelled bad.

My children are not picky eaters, this is proof!"

And I've just started going over his story - again - it is someone assuming without knowing the facts because he didn't thoroughly research it before putting pen to paper.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:34 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Or maybe they're not her birth parents. Kidnapping isn't a rare phenomenon, unfortunately.

I'm not an attorney, but surely there are legal channels she can utilize to mandate a DNA test for her mother and father. Any family law experts on this forum?

Jesse.

You better get some sleep because you're sounding loony with all the conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events