Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

Dad needs to get a job. I don't see how Nicole can take care of 11 children (including a newborn) plus conduct a dog grooming business.

Reading some of the comments by people who (supposedly) knew them personally, the aspects of their character are quite different from what is being portrayed on their blog and fb page. If their accounts are true, the Naugler's were unsuccessful at living in mainstream society as well in their homesteading. Making them champions of homesteaders/and non traditiional schooling doesn't do justice to the folks who live a self-sufficient lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Ok, I'm not a homesteading expert, (just a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan)
Something not in those beloved books is that Laura had a little brother who died in infancy.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:29 AM

983 posts, read 994,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Something not in those beloved books is that Laura had a little brother who died in infancy.
Yeah, that happens. With the Ingalls, there could be a genetic defect in the family. Boys died in infancy.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

With the donations that are streaming in, they should be able to complete their plans in the future.
I think Parents should be able to provide for their children. Don't live beyond your means, or don't have more children than you can afford. Depending on donations is not a good way to raise children.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:15 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Looks fine to me.. they're just a bunch of boho hippies raising their kids non-traditionally.

If none are being abused, sexually or physically, and they're being schooled.. (obviously they are eating, they look healthy) -- who's concern is it? I'd rather live in a tent with awesome parents than in an estate with parents who hated me.
Did no one watch the video on pg 2? One of the children testified that his father had abused him repeatedly.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What does that have to do with anything???

Old 05-16-2015, 02:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think Parents should be able to provide for their children. Don't live beyond your means, or don't have more children than you can afford. Depending on donations is not a good way to raise children.
Plus the donations are going to be a temporary solution. With 11 kids that money is not going to last long.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
The more I read about this family, the more I am glad that CPS is investigating. There seems to be much more to the story then just unschooling and a family living off the grid. I hope that the investigation is fair and objective.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I guess children are property of the state and not their own parents. They all look happy. As for septic, a hole in the ground will do just fine.
Composting toilets, properly installed and treated, work very well. I'm not sure I'd want to use them with that many butts, though I did extensive research on the system myself, so I actually know, instead of just judging this family because they don't have a three bedroom, two bath house on a cul-de-sac in suburbia with a backbreaking mortgage payment like the rest of us. Are the kids healthy? Are the kids happy? Are they being beaten/neglected? I'm a little iffy about the quality of their education, however. It sounds too lax, but the government should have just told them to put them in a structured home school program. There are many of those available. But taking the kids away? Seems extreme considering the kids who aren't taken away from their families.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:08 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Dad needs to get a job. I don't see how Nicole can take care of 11 children (including a newborn) plus conduct a dog grooming business.

Reading some of the comments by people who (supposedly) knew them personally, the aspects of their character are quite different from what is being portrayed on their blog and fb page. If their accounts are true, the Naugler's were unsuccessful at living in mainstream society as well in their homesteading. Making them champions of homesteaders/and non traditiional schooling doesn't do justice to the folks who live a self-sufficient lifestyle.
How can anyone support a family of 13 on 1 income? This story gets more unbelievable as it unfolds. They just live under tarps, with some stakes around their living area, for privacy? No wind-proofing? How do they stay warm in winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj;
Oh, and if you are begging for donations because you can't afford to take care of the kids you already have, then why are you having more kids?
This. Why did they have so many kids? Are there control issues on the father's part, where he's not allowing birth control? (Free, through Planned Parenthood.) Does everyone have adequate health care? The father claimed in an interview that they are "naturopaths". Really? They have degrees in Naturopathy? I can't help wondering if there are mental health issues on the part of the parents.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-16-2015 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events