Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times

Advertisements

America is the WORST place on earth to be a parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
In a way I am glad these sorts of things (including the Meltiv case in Maryland) are happening and making the news, because it's causing people to look at issues of parental authority and any forces or organizations etc which threaten it, and rightly causing people to stop seeing CPS as this wonderful organization that saves children from evil and instead seeing it as an organization that interferes in family private matters and usurps legitimate parental authority.

I can tell you that I am very strong in my opinion that parental authority should be pretty much absolute. Obviously you can't sit idly by if a parent is on drugs, is keeping their kids from receiving an education, is starving them, beating them, letting a dirty uncle molest them, that sort of thing. Beyond that, though, parents should have the authority to parent their children however they feel without fear of any sort of response of this type. Those children are THEIR children to parent as they see fit. It's nobody's business to tell them how to parent their children, nobody's.

In fact, to me this is a serious enough matter I wouldn't mind seeing parents becoming like the Revolutionary War soldiers of yore and taking up arms. I'm serious, I would absolutely love to see parents getting to the point that they use force if necessary to stop people from taking their children. I mean, wouldn't one understand them doing so if a kidnapper was trying to take their child away (not that such happens as much as people believe)? Of course. To me, this is no different, it's kidnapping, only it's government sanctioned kidnapping. The only reason I'd oppose a Revolutionary War type of response is that the citizens would be way outgunned and would ultimately lose anyway, and you wouldn't them or their children possibly being hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:06 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
They are no different than kids raised in hippie communes, well except they look a lot cleaner. The parents are cooperating, so I expect they will get their kids back.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:07 AM

477 posts, read 509,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I guess children are property of the state and not their own parents. They all look happy. As for septic, a hole in the ground will do just fine.
That's what they though 100 years ago, when my dad was born.

He nearly died of typhoid fever from contaminated common well water in the shanty town where he grew up in a (literally) tar paper shack.

A hole in the ground will NOT do just fine - unless you consider a 50% to 60% infant mortality rate to be A-OK (keeping in mind that 5 year olds still count as "infants").

Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
A homestead is not a town with rows of houses side by side. Human feces can even be composted for lawns and ornamentals that noone intends to eat - I guess if you are vegetarian, you can compost it for your fruits and vegetables as well..

How many years did the human animal survive without indoor plumbing?

Campers and soldiers always used latrines - fancy name for a hole in the ground. Sometimes they are covered by cute little houses with a half moon cut in the door, and sometimes not. Its really no different than a fancy septic tank or cesspool in your back yard that holds waste and leeches it eventually back out into the land. Thousands of homes and communities still use septic tanks and cess pools.

In appalachia there are many people who still have no indoor plumbing out of necessity. There are also communities that still dont use indoor plumbing, electricity, etc. because of their religion and need to appear humble before God.

Its a conumdrum. On the one hand, we are encouraged to reduce our carbon footprint. On the other hand doing just that can be used as an excuse to tear apart what appears to be a happy and healthy family apparently.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 AM

309 posts, read 258,078 times
Some people should not have children at all. But since they still do have them, it is absolutely the society's responsibility (and that includes government agencies if necessary) to help these children make it to adulthood where they can make their own decisions. If these parents were all by themselves, they could live whatever lifestyle they choose, in a shack, in a homeless camp, whatever. But they have no right at all to drag children into it, who cannot resist and whose life, safety and education should be their parents' responsibility that they fail to provide. Basically, if you are a failure as a parent, the state has every right to take over.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
America is the WORST place on earth to be a parent.
Let's not get carried away, bud.

Mick

Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
I find most of these comments so amusing because again - you're taking a story at face value and not even clicking on the links others have provided.

The family has a Facebook blog: https://www.facebook.com/MyBlessedLi...stead/timeline, hence they're really not off the grid and hiding. The kids look clean, well fed and happy. They don't live in a tent but in a cabin and are in the process of building a bigger one.

Another article from someone who's conversed with them: Your Alabaster City: 12 Reasons You Shouldn't Listen to Naysayers About the Naugler Family, as stated - what's the difference of them moving around from campsite to campsite ( there are those parents who do ) or settling where they are. As long as the kids are healthy and happy - what is the beef? They aren't sitting on their butts collecting gov't checks everyday - which increase with each child they have.

It's not something I would do - but if you watch the videos the kids seem happy. They're not running the streets - getting into trouble ect.. As far as schooling - how many inner city youth don't bother going to school - hence, they aren't being properly educated either. I am sure they are being taught the basics like reading and writing. You can have 10 Master's degrees and earning the same or less than someone who never had much schooling but went into a trade program like plumbing.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:52 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Some people should not have children at all. But since they still do have them, it is absolutely the society's responsibility (and that includes government agencies if necessary) to help these children make it to adulthood where they can make their own decisions. If these parents were all by themselves, they could live whatever lifestyle they choose, in a shack, in a homeless camp, whatever. But they have no right at all to drag children into it, who cannot resist and whose life, safety and education should be their parents' responsibility that they fail to provide. Basically, if you are a failure as a parent, the state has every right to take over.

So why haven't they taken over for all those parents sitting on their butts doing drugs or selling themselves on the street? And then when they do - they haven't properly investigated many of these foster homes and the kids live in worst conditions than if they had stayed with the parents.

There are much worst conditions that kids live in than this.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:33 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
Looks fine to me.. they're just a bunch of boho hippies raising their kids non-traditionally.

If none are being abused, sexually or physically, and they're being schooled.. (obviously they are eating, they look healthy) -- who's concern is it? I'd rather live in a tent with awesome parents than in an estate with parents who hated me.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hopefully, for the 1st time in their lives, some of these kids will now stand a chance of doing what their parents couldn't..making it in society.
Please explain how people who chose not to chase the "American dream" are not making it? The white picket fence, and 2.5 children, and Subaru, not for everyone.

Good for them, I am glad they chose to raise their children with nature...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events