Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
They are no different than kids raised in hippie communes, well except they look a lot cleaner. The parents are cooperating, so I expect they will get their kids back.
I hope they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
For those who are complaining about no septic system, the family uses a composting toilet. The father purchases drinking/cooking water and hauls water from the lake for general washing. They go to a laundromat to wash their clothes, drying the heavy stuff and hanging the rest.

They do not live in a tent....they have a cabin, and are planning to build a large one. With the donations that are streaming in, they should be able to complete their plans in the future. The parents both have Iphones and can connect to the internet - and no one is isolated from general society's events.

The kids look happy and healthy. And living so close to nature has to be a wonderful experience for them. I would say that the parents are rather new to homesteading and are learning as they go along. What is so different from them and the earlier pioneers?

For anyone curious for more details about their life, they have a blog. - Blessed Little Homestead

Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,283 times
If some claim that "inner-city" is just a codeword in order to discriminate, than so is "off-the-grid".

Old 05-14-2015, 07:51 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Consider the billions of gallons of fresh, drinkable water we Americans flush down our toilets every day. Yes. billions! Daily. Stop wagging your fingers at someone else for not.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:13 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Looks fine to me.. they're just a bunch of boho hippies raising their kids non-traditionally.
After reading portions of the blog, I'm inclined to agree. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:25 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I have mixed feelings about this case, but one thing we have to remember is that the media doesn't have access to all the information that the child protective agency reviewed, including interviews with the kids and maybe their grandparents.

Having said that, if the kids are happy, healthy and are attending school or home schooled in a competent manner (?), the agency should cut them a break and issue a warning. No heat, no running water and no septic concern me, though.

Mick
Meh, both my parent grew up with wood heat, drew water from a well and used an outhouse. Most folks in rural areas grew up that way in the early-mid 1900s. I still remember using that outhouse as a small child.

No internet, gaming system or smartphone, now that's child abuse. Those poor, poor deprived children.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:52 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
The children appear to be clean and healthy. As far as 19 year old son who spoke against them, that could be for any number of reasons.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
For those who are complaining about no septic system, the family uses a composting toilet. The father purchases drinking/cooking water and hauls water from the lake for general washing. They go to a laundromat to wash their clothes, drying the heavy stuff and hanging the rest.

They do not live in a tent....they have a cabin, and are planning to build a large one. With the donations that are streaming in, they should be able to complete their plans in the future. The parents both have Iphones and can connect to the internet - and no one is isolated from general society's events.

The kids look happy and healthy. And living so close to nature has to be a wonderful experience for them. I would say that the parents are rather new to homesteading and are learning as they go along. What is so different from them and the earlier pioneers?

For anyone curious for more details about their life, they have a blog. - Blessed Little Homestead
Correction: They go to a local feed store and get water from a well/cistern there and use that for general washing.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:23 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
In a way I am glad these sorts of things (including the Meltiv case in Maryland) are happening and making the news, because it's causing people to look at issues of parental authority and any forces or organizations etc which threaten it, and rightly causing people to stop seeing CPS as this wonderful organization that saves children from evil and instead seeing it as an organization that interferes in family private matters and usurps legitimate parental authority.

I can tell you that I am very strong in my opinion that parental authority should be pretty much absolute. Obviously you can't sit idly by if a parent is on drugs, is keeping their kids from receiving an education, is starving them, beating them, letting a dirty uncle molest them, that sort of thing. Beyond that, though, parents should have the authority to parent their children however they feel without fear of any sort of response of this type. Those children are THEIR children to parent as they see fit. It's nobody's business to tell them how to parent their children, nobody's.
It appears these children are not receiving an education. At least one that will prepare them for the 21st century.

I don't know enough about the case to comment on whether or not they should be taken from their parents, but they most certainly were not being well-educated by a couple of Kentucky hillbillies with no access to educational materials. Unless a couple of them are outrageously brilliant and can find their way through the world on their own, these kids are pretty much doomed to a life of manual labor or a lifestyle very similar to their parents. Is it right for CPS to take these kids away in this case? I don't know.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Total neglect! Not one of those kids is even fat like a "normal" American kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events