Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

I don't think people realize the bond between a violinist and her violin. They spend years to find the instrument with the sound that they seek. When they do, it might be 100 or more years old, and irreplaceable if they lose it.

Here is the lovely violinist in question playing Mozart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsxG7rbwVDQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:37 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So? She is a violinist. The violin is her livelihood. What's wrong with asking for it? They are also very expensive. I heard that the first thing the conductor did is ask someone to find his cell phone.
He wanted the phone so he could call 911. It's in all his interviews. The first thing he did upon regaining consciousness was retrieve his phone and call 911.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Very reasonable request. Just not the time to make it.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I hope she gets her violin back. A normal company might see this as an opportunity to generate some good pub in a difficult situation by going the extra mile to get it back to her. But we're dealing with a government bureaucracy here, so good luck with that.

She must be pretty good to have gotten a gig playing for the Washington National Opera.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Why shouldn't she ask for her violin back? There's no reason for everybody to go ballistic about that.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I see no problem with her tweeting about her violin - not that I even tweet, nor care what people 'tweet'. In 'her world' and in context of timing it makes sense. People seek out those things most important to them after a disaster once they are safe. Besides, it's Philadelphia and who knows how well they'll keep potential looters away from train wreckage? If she plays for Washington Opera then its likely a highly prestigious position. Sad for those families mourning loss.

It will be ironic if we found out the train 'conductor' was 'tweeting' prior to train crash ...

Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
@AmtrakNEC and @Amtrak: 'thanks a lot for derailing my train. Can I please get my violin back from the 2nd car of the train?'

Well, that's typical crappy reporting for ya. She's not demanding anything, she's asking. She's not demanding that her violin take priority over people. When inquiring about her things, she just happened to use twitter. Most passengers probably asked the folks ushering them into vehicles. She has every right to be mad or snarky too, their conductor did derail her train.

Its not even bad reporting. I don't believe the journalist choose the headlines. Anyone who reads the article fot more than 30 seconds gets to see her tweet. This is a prime example about why click bait actually works. Companies know we are more likely to pay attention to something outrageous so they word headlines to induce anger. Most people click the article but don't even read past the first paragraph.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I don't think this is that big of a deal, but I also think she's probably a bit on the spoiled and careless side of things.
Tell me how spoiled it is to spend years perfecting your craft to the point of becoming a member of the bloody Washington National Opera orchestra, spend anywhere from $75,000 to god only knows for your instrument, an instrument that you may have spent years to find.

Careless? Oh boy I can imagine the Tweets if she tried to evacuate the train while holding on to her violin case. If it were me, I'd be in an absolute panic over the whereabouts of my instrument which isn't just an instrument but a part of your being and I'm not being hyperbolic.

Think about other more famous musicians. B.B. King's guitar Lucille is almost as famous as he is. In 1949 King entered a burning building that killed two men to retrieve her even though she cost a mere $30. Willie Nelson has played Trigger a Martin N-20 guitar for 45 years despite having a gaping hole in the sound board. In a recent study, 51% of musicians chose to answer the question When I perform, "I feel so united with my instrument/voice that there is no difference between us."

The only thing wrong about this young woman is that those who find her wanting are the ones who just don't get it.

Last edited by TheWiseWino; 05-14-2015 at 06:47 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm going to give her the benefit of doubt and assume she didn't know how bad it was or that people were killed and seriously injured.

In hindsight, she should have left her tweeter account open and just write something like, "When I got out of the train, I had no idea how bad it was. I didn't realize that others were injured and killed. Had I know how others were impacted, I would have never posted what I had. I deeply apologize for being so insensitive at that moment."

This is assuming, of course, that she didn't know how bad it was.

If she, and the others around her, walked off unharmed, she may have assumed it was true for everyone.
She made her tweet only minutes after the crash. She likely didn't know how bad it was.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've got outrage fatigue.

I don't think what she tweeted was outrageous. At all.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events