Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,177,274 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a backlash building whereas the media is producing stories on "heroic cops" in order, it seems, to counter all the stories and bad publicity recently about bad cops.

But here is the thing.

Good cops don't need defending for their good actions. Most people are happy to see them going about their duties (i.e. doing their jobs). What people DON'T WANT is this attitude and tradition where bad cop are still being protected... in my eyes this throws out so much of a "good cop's" honorable reputation and makes them just another part of the problem.

U.S. Marshal Allegedly Pistol Whips Man During Road Rage Incident

My question here is. Why was this US Marshal not arrested for assault ON THE SPOT by the local cops instead of having a friendly chit chat?

I hope there is more to this that has not come out. But for now it just looks like more cops letting other cops slide on an obvious crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERINQZQjBZA

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-13-2015 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,300,712 times
Amazing how they report it as "an alleged assault"...really? just look at the mans face and you can see it was not alleged.
I agree that bad cops are definitely spoiling the public opinion of all cops. Too bad they insist on sheltering their rotten apples rather than throwing them out.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:07 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,362,587 times
I see this thread hasn't generated much traffic..lol

Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM

10,023 posts, read 8,661,304 times
It seems like these kind of stories make the news every week where I live.

Officer placed on leave after macing video surfaces - KMOV.com

Old 05-16-2015, 08:07 AM

387 posts, read 589,938 times
1) always keeps a donut in your car
2) when approached by a donut hunter (cop), immediately throw donut as far away as possible
3) the aggressive donut hunter will be distracted
4) run Forest run!!! GTFO of there fast!
5) live to see another day and post about the ordeal on facebook

Old 05-16-2015, 08:26 AM

10,023 posts, read 8,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
1) always keeps a donut in your car
2) when approached by a donut hunter (cop), immediately throw donut as far away as possible
3) the aggressive donut hunter will be distracted
4) run Forest run!!! GTFO of there fast!
5) live to see another day and post about the ordeal on facebook
That was worth a chuckle.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,141,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There seems to be a backlash building whereas the media is producing stories on "heroic cops" in order, it seems, to counter all the stories and bad publicity recently about bad cops.

But here is the thing.

Good cops don't need defending for their good actions. Most people are happy to see them going about their duties (i.e. doing their jobs). What people DON'T WANT is this attitude and tradition where bad cop are still being protected... in my eyes this throws out so much of a "good cop's" honorable reputation and makes them just another part of the problem.

My question here is. Why was this US Marshal not arrested for assault ON THE SPOT by the local cops instead of having a friendly chit chat?

I hope there is more to this that has not come out. But for now it just looks like more cops letting other cops slide on an obvious crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERINQZQjBZA
Very good point.

I've thought about it too. I think it can be dangerous to stop addressing the issue too soon. Not a lot of laws have been changed in a lot of places and its the elections coming up.

We have to get protections in this area, and as far as our privacy imo.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,037,963 times
We just gotta keep on recording with our cell phones and personal dashcams (Not police dashcams, those can be manipulated with) and hope for the best and wish for a nationwide improvement in the law enforcement behavior situation. Can't give up hope & certainly can't let these losers affect our daily lives!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:59 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,429,831 times
So this US Marshall assaulted this guy and not only does he not get arrested, his identity gets protected?

Old 05-16-2015, 02:57 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,774,859 times
Quote:

But here is the thing.

You have no idea. In the department I am affiliated with, over 30% of staff and 40% of officers had their identities stolen this year. Every time one of them gets their name in the news (especially if it is for a "good" thing), someone goes after their 457(b) and IRA accounts, because they know those are not FDIC insured.
Bad things happen to good cops constantly just because people hate cops; and the good cops are actually bigger targets than the bad cops, because people especially hate cops who make cops look good.

Quote:

[/quote]
Because there is more to the story than that. For one thing, the other witnesses (there were many witnesses to what happened besides the four people involved) said that Janet Akers threw the first punches and that the US Marshall never used his firearm to pistol whip Akers. The US Marshall is forbidden by his employer from telling his story publicly, and the Akers are taking advantage of that. Want something that will set off your BS detector? “[Officers] told us he was an off-duty police officer," Donald said. "That’s exactly what they told us.”
Officers would never call a US Marshall an off-duty officer. Never.

Also, arrests for simple assault are rare (it is not a felony). They are only used when it is necessary to clear someone from the scene, otherwise people are normally only detained and cited. All four people, including the Akers, involved in the incident were cited for assault. None of them were arrested, including the Akers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events