Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:25 PM

387 posts, read 588,824 times

Advertisements

so with all the black on white conflicts going on, I wanted to get your opinion on what you would have done in this situation.

i went to a Subway restaurant for lunch and all of the employees are black. the black customer in front of me was flirting with one of sandwich artist. she makes his sandwich and when she cashes him out she tells him since today is Black Shirt day, he gets a free bag of chips. he did. cool i thought. i got a black shirt too! well, she took my order, made my sandwich, but offered no deal on the chips! instead asks if i want to add a chip and drink to make it a combo. hmm, was it not offered to me because i was a non-black? my shirt was blacker than his too. i just paid and left but thought about calling her out or contacting the store owner. what do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 03:26 PM

613 posts, read 462,947 times
Really.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,017 times
In other retail settings this would be considered theft, pilfering or any number of other things that come under the term "shrinkage." As in: shrinking bottom line (profit). If it happens enough, it will affect the bottom line. The resulting price increases are passed on to the paying customer. While I might be inclined to report the incident, I would wonder that, come to it, could this incident be proven without ME coming off as the racist whiner. I know...pathetic.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:37 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,986,300 times
She gave him a bag of chips because he was flirting with him back. Nothing more. It had nothing to do with the shirt or the fact that he was black and you were white.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,110,898 times
1. The store owner would be grateful if a customer informs her that one of the employees is giving stuff away for free (a.k.a theft).

2. Was she giving free stuff to other black people? If not, your theory holds no water. There has to be some discernible pattern, unless the intent was expressly stated by the Sandwich Artist(R).

3. As headingtoDenver noted, I agree that he got free chips because he was flirting, i.e., "talkin' to her. Hasn't anyone ever given you free stuff, wink, wink, after you were nice and friendly to an employee?

4. If you make it a race thing (you seem to be) without objective proof, the store owner on the other side of the phone will likely be rolling her eyes about someone bitchin about a small bag of potato chips.

IMHO.

Mick

Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
She gave him a bag of chips because he was flirting with him back. Nothing more. It had nothing to do with the shirt or the fact that he was black and you were white.
I agree--it's all about flirting. Ever been to a bar? Check out who gets free drinks (here's a clue--you won't see guy bartenders giving guys--black or white--drinks on the house).

Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
Silly me... I would have said, 'I heard you tell that man before me that today's Black Shirt Friday'... doesn't that allow me to get free chips too?

From her reply, would help me to gauge what to do/say next....

Old 05-15-2015, 03:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree--it's all about flirting. Ever been to a bar? Check out who gets free drinks (here's a clue--you won't see guy bartenders giving guys--black or white--drinks on the house).
Unless they're in a gay bar, at which point, all bets are off... lol

Old 05-15-2015, 04:03 PM

243 posts, read 282,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
not true I used to get free regularly, but then again I was friends with all the bartenders.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:05 PM

81 posts, read 106,301 times
Like others have said it was flirting. I wouldn't report it. The guy was smooth enough to get a bag of chips. Lol, "Don't hate the player hate the game."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events