Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:35 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
your link implicates neonicotinoid pesticides, and you implicate Monsanto.

I see a potential problem here: Monsanto doesn't even make neonicotinoid pesticides
Oh, my goodness, you are so smart, you got me!

All kidding aside, I don't think it matters all that much in the long run. Monsanto is certainly evil, and they certainly make products that do harm to people and the earth. To me saying Monsanto when talking about corporations which poison us is like saying Kleenex when really you just mean any tissue. There is not enough functional difference to be bothered to differentiate between them.

I just signed another Monsanto-related petition tonight. This one is another "gift" getting ready to go to vote in the form of a Federal law prohibiting states from requiring GMO labeling. Monsanto lobbyists reaction to several progressive states passing that very law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Watch where you buy your plants and seeds, most aren't even labeling neonic treated plants

Lowe’s joins stores cutting back on neonicotinoid pesticides that kill bees « Addison Green
That's good to hear! Things like that make me feel hope. I just e-mailed them to thank them and let them know their customers do care.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's a good question actually.

a great many of the crops that we now consider important to US agriculture evolved and/or were bred in areas of the world that honeybees are native to (Europe and asia mostly) so those plants evolved with honeybees as their pollinators (ex: apples, almonds, cherries, oranges).

on the other hand, plants like tomato that are native to the Americas didn't evolve with honeybees around, so they use wind and bumblebees (or other native bees) to accomplish that.

also, honeybees are the only bees that can be easily managed by humans and moved from one crop to another. that's why you sometimes hear of a semi-truckload of millions of bees getting into a wreck on the interstate - they are trucked all over the country to fertilize all kinds of stuff.
That's very interesting, thanks for that!

Old 05-18-2015, 04:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
In some places though it's a mystery as to why they are disappearing. A couple of years ago my former landlord in Portland, OR kept honeybees at the top to Mt Tabor Park, a pristine extinct volcanic park that is hundreds of years old where in the past, the air was very clean. He was experienced in bee keeping having done so since childhood.

He and others around him kept their bees in a special spot designated for them. The bees were healthy for the first year. Their honey was great. But the second year the bees began to disappear. They flew off and never returned. No one really knew why. It wasn't known if they went somewhere to die or if they just abandoned their hives because they knew something was wrong.

This was not usual behavior. Some experts said they thought the cause might be due to the ever increasing population causing more and more pollution in the city. Respiratory ailments increased that year more than ever before according to my pulmonologist. Maybe it was pollution that affected the bees. Maybe it was too many people "swarming" all over the park disturbing them. Whatever it was, they were gone and never returned.

Last spring, in another part of town, hundreds of bees were found dead around two trees. It was determined that the trees had been sprayed with insecticide weeks earlier but it didn't affect the bees until later so their cause of death was not determined right away. The company that sprayed them with a pesticide known to be harmful to bees allegedly made a mistake and used the wrong chemicals but there was some question as to whether or not that was true.

I think urban beekeeping is a great idea but the territory has to be a safe one for the bees if it is to work.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

All kidding aside, I don't think it matters all that much in the long run. Monsanto is certainly evil, and they certainly make products that do harm to people and the earth. To me saying Monsanto when talking about corporations which poison us is like saying Kleenex when really you just mean any tissue. There is not enough functional difference to be bothered to differentiate between them.

I just signed another Monsanto-related petition tonight. This one is another "gift" getting ready to go to vote in the form of a Federal law prohibiting states from requiring GMO labeling. Monsanto lobbyists reaction to several progressive states passing that very law.

Wow
No personal offense, just wow.
Your credibility has just taken a major hit by essentially demonetizing a company for creating a toxin that is doing something bad, then when you are shown to have made a mistake, you just acknowledge it, dismiss it, and say the company is evil anyway.
Then again you are likely representative on the mentality of a large number of liberals/progressives.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow
Your credibility has just taken a major hit by essentially demonetizing a company for creating a toxin that is doing something bad, then when you are shown to have made a mistake, you just acknowledge it, dismiss it, and say the company is evil anyway.
Then again you are likely representative on the mentality of a large number of liberals/progressives.

I think we need to keep partisan jabs out of this discussion. This is too serious of a matter--doesn't this have to do with food security etc?

Old 05-18-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Wow
Gee, why on earth would I take offense to that?

Monsanto is, IMO, the most evil corporation on the planet, and that is saying a LOT...and that opinion was formed long before this thread and is not changed because I was mistaken about exactly which evil company in an indistinguishably evil industry made this one specific form of evil poison responsible for this one specific incident of environmental harm.

But okay, just for you....OMG, I can't believe how stupid I was, how could I have not known who made that pesticide! Monsanto isn't evil at all, I was totally wrong!!

Is that better?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Gee, why on earth would I take offense to that?

Monsanto is, IMO, the most evil corporation on the planet, and that is saying a LOT...and that opinion was formed long before this thread and is not changed because I was mistaken about exactly which evil company in an indistinguishably evil industry made this one specific form of evil poison responsible for this one specific incident of environmental harm.

But okay, just for you....OMG, I can't believe how stupid I was, how could I have not known who made that pesticide! Monsanto isn't evil at all, I was totally wrong!!

Is that better?
I think the more important thing to do is figure out what Monsanto actually does that you find evil. Disinformation doesn't help anyones cause.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:49 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:

so what you're saying is, you acknowledge that your premise was completely wrong, but it doesn't matter anyway because Monsanto is 'evil'

sigh. I'm sure I'm going to regret this, but go ahead and document how Monsanto is A) evil; and B)has 'harmed people and the earth'

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
60%, wow!

Unfortunately, it's probably the next few generations who will inherit the problem.
This way beyond Next generational issue..Honey Bee's have been dying off for years..Pesticides or whatever...All I know with my garden..having seen bee's bussing about like Zero..ONLY "Yellow Jacket's ..who are very dangerous given allergy issues!!

Here's what our area is trying to do about it...even saw an account on TV the other night trying to set up an "Apiary" of rooftops in order to SAVE this dying insect who give so much to humankind!!! I may be partial since my x-husband had a uncle who had an Apiary..just north of here.. (unfortunately allergies happened to cause deaths due to hyper-allergies)...BUT their honey was wonderful and enjoyed for decades!!!

Home

Neonicotinoid pesticide use to be reduced by 80% in Ontario - Toronto - CBC News

snip~~
The strategy includes

An 80 per cent reduction in acreage planted with neonicotinoid-treated corn and soybean seed by 2017.
Limiting the number of honey bees that die during winter by 15 per cent by 2020.
Developing a "comprehensive" action plan for pollinator health.
The ministry will consult with stakeholders on a proposal to reduce neonicotinoid-treated seed, and if the proposal moves forward, new rules will be in place by July 1 — in time for the following years planting season.

In October, Ontario's environmental watchdog urged the province to act before the completion of a federal study that could see recommendations to limit the use of the pesticides nationwide.

The Ontario Provincial Winter Loss Survey, an annual effort to measure the survival rate of bees over winter, found that deaths reached a record-high 58 per cent last winter. According to the Ontario Beekeepers' Association, which welcomed the announcement, that rate of loss is over three times the average of all other Canadian provinces.

Let's face it..destroying natural lands and habitatants of those who have for centuries given us so much all for the sake of profits simply has to come to an end!! Nature should be "Nurtured" not Dessimated !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events