Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
And to think I survived 40 years patrolling the streets of L.A. in a four-door car and a 6-shot .38 Special on my hip.
and I bet you got along better with the people in your beat than the young cops who run around like storm troopers with their pants tucked in their boots wearing their black balaclavas didn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:39 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Well back then they only got one bullet, and they had to keep it in their shirt pocket.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
and I bet you got along better with the people in your beat than the young cops who run around like storm troopers with their pants tucked in their boots wearing their black balaclavas didn't you?
Yes, I did. My Dad was career LAPD and his wisest piece of advice when I graduated the academy was to treat everyone the way you would want to be treated. It used to irk other officers to no end the amount of patience I had in dealing with people. I would spend whatever amount of time necessary to let them explain and/or vent. My job was to protect the public, not how many arrests I could make or how much money I could generate from fines. I left that to the coneheads and bean counters.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Dammit. Dated myself again. Crown Vic then. You had to have spent some quality time in those.
You're not dating yourself, Wee-Bey. You and I spent too much time watching "Adam-12"! You're right about the Crown Vics, but I do have a soft spot for the early 90's Caprice Classics.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Yes, I did. My Dad was career LAPD and his wisest piece of advice when I graduated the academy was to treat everyone the way you would want to be treated. It used to irk other officers to no end the amount of patience I had in dealing with people. I would spend whatever amount of time necessary to let them explain and/or vent. My job was to protect the public, not how many arrests I could make or how much money I could generate from fines. I left that to the coneheads and bean counters.
Right on Too bad all young Officers don't have a role model like you. One of the finest cops I worked with knew most of the cons on a first name basis and got more information from them than a dozen investigators could have. He never bragged, just did his job, but sadly he never got any recognition from the administration- they preferred the para military hot dog youngsters who cost the City hundreds of thousands of dollars in lawsuits

Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM

2,953 posts, read 992,731 times
Quote:
You're not dating yourself, Wee-Bey. You and I spent too much time watching "Adam-12"! You're right about the Crown Vics, but I do have a soft spot for the early 90's Caprice Classics.
Good show. Never saw much of the Caprice's here in Tx. Mostly the annoying flashing howling things in my mirror were Crown Vics.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Yeah, those “tracked” vehicles really whipped up the crowds in Baltimore. The continuing fallacy that rioters were peacefully sitting in their homes until they saw those scary vehicles.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Thank you for your service, Patrolman. Sounds like you know how to do what needs to be done.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It's about time!

Actually it's too late. It's like closing the barn door when the horse already ran away.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,978 times
Quote:
You sound like the kind of officer that deserved respect - a rarity in America today, and apparently a rarity when you served. Thank you for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events