Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:28 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Gee, I don't know... because it is the busiest international truck trade crossing on the Planet?

(You know, there might be a small chance that crossing is just how they get into the states... and not the final destination. )
Why not drive on over to Ganonoque and cross into the USA - no bridge and it gives access to the entire East Coast. Especially since the existing bridge is such a bottleneck.

Back in the day when the Motor City was manufacturer to the world, it made sense that much of the import traffic would be located there, but since that's no longer true, seems it would make sense to find a different way to transport goods into The States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Gee, I don't know... because it is the busiest international truck trade crossing on the Planet?

(You know, there might be a small chance that crossing is just how they get into the states... and not the final destination. )
I'd sure hope its not their final destination. They could have chosen a safer and more friendly destination for a bridge. This bridge provides plenty of opportunity for crime, guns, and drugs crossing in the other direction.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
theatregypsy.

Could you explain HOW anyone can cross the St Lawrence River, without using a bridge or a ferry ?

You mentioned Gananoque, I am very sure that there is NO bridge there. There is one at Lansdowne , and it is a bridge, despite what you wrote.

Jim B.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:58 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
theatregypsy.

Could you explain HOW anyone can cross the St Lawrence River, without using a bridge or a ferry ?

You mentioned Gananoque, I am very sure that there is NO bridge there. There is one at Lansdowne , and it is a bridge, despite what you wrote.

Jim B.
You're right, no bridge at Gananoque.

There is bridge not too far way ...Prescott, Ontario to Ogdensburg, NY

Old 05-24-2015, 08:08 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Watch while Michigan/Detroit throws up toll booths on the approaches to the bridge to reap their own benefit without the cost associated for the bridge.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:52 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
Seems there is a sense of entitlement here. What gives any country the right to build a bridge to another country, regardless of who is paying for it. Sovereign rights dictates at least some form or permission, without which, nothing gets built. Then there is land acquisition, right of ways, traffic studies, about a thousand permits, environmental studies and so on. So who says the US is not participating or paying for anything. A bridge connects two points and without the cooperation of BOTH sides, nothing gets done.

What if someone came to you and said, "I want to extend the driveway into your house, through your backyard, so I can get to my backyard, because it would be a short cut." If you allowed it to start with, I doubt seriously you would agree to pay for it as well.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 PM

ditchoc.

Here is the link to the front page story in Maclean's magazine, which is the leading news magazine in Canada, about the way that this is going to be done.

Be sure to read the entire story, and you will learn a few things about your country, and how it has been dragging it's feet on this for the last 15 years.

link. Canada's battle for a new cross-border bridge

Once you have read the facts, come back and we can talk about how this will happen.

Jim B.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:36 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
theatregypsy.

Jim B.
I'd actually been thinking about this since your topic started. You could build a container bridge crane or series of them across the river. One leg on each side and automated systems on each side to sort the inspected and uninspected containers into different lots. Some sort of reciprocal agreement between both nations allowing customs agents to operate inside their respective lots on the other nation's soil to expedite things. Again good luck getting the US to pay for it as mega engineering projects like not only cost more meh but make some sort of activist or the other come out of the woodwork.

And to clarify after rereading that was for the Detroit-Windsor link. Crossing the St. Lawrence would be that thing to a whole mother level.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:03 AM

Josh:

There are a number of railway bridges that carry cross border container freight, from southern Ontario to Michigan, and New York now.

Road transport is still the more common method of cross border shipping.

The system is based on "pre clearance approval " which means that the shipper in Canada sends electronic information to the US Customs service at the intended port of entry. Once approval has been granted by the US Customs service, the trailer /container is brought to the border, where it is inspected and sent on to it's final destination in the US. The paperwork has bar codes on it, which the driver presents to the US Customs officer, who scans the information into the computer.

In most cases, the shipment is approved and the driver is on his way in less than 30 minutes. At many ports of entry, the truck waits in a "holding area " on the Canadian side, until the US Customs service signals that the truck can come over, and be checked through the process.

For a period of about 5 years, I was an owner/operator with a expedite freight company based on Ontario. I crossed the border very frequently, as many as three times a week. My loads were high value items, that required direct drives, from Canada, to the destination in the US. My destinations were all over the States, as far west as California, and south to Texas, and Alabama.

Jim B.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Seems there is a sense of entitlement here. What gives any country the right to build a bridge to another country, regardless of who is paying for it. Sovereign rights dictates at least some form or permission, without which, nothing gets built. Then there is land acquisition, right of ways, traffic studies, about a thousand permits, environmental studies and so on. So who says the US is not participating or paying for anything. A bridge connects two points and without the cooperation of BOTH sides, nothing gets done.

What if someone came to you and said, "I want to extend the driveway into your house, through your backyard, so I can get to my backyard, because it would be a short cut." If you allowed it to start with, I doubt seriously you would agree to pay for it as well.
Exactly.

The bridge will harm the U.S. There is no economic benefit. There are no bridge capacity issues (the current crossings are well under capacity) and U.S. taxpayers are paying debt on the existing crossings for the next 30 years. A new bridge, even if 100% paid by Canadian taxpayers, will harm U.S. taxpayers by reducing the crossings on the existing spans (and when bridge traffic is too low, the taxpayers make up the difference on the bridge debt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events