Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Where are the riots over this police killing:

Police: Man told officers 'Go ahead and kill me' in shootout (link to article, picture of victim below), Police: Man told officers 'Go ahead and kill me' in shootout (link didn't show under text)

^^^false equivalency runs deep within this one^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Did the OP search the internet for a story like this to post here???

Why are some of you SO obsessed with race??? I can't think of a less significant detail of a person, yet some of you are always sparking racial debates and it's like... why? Who really cares?
Yes, there are multiple posters on CD that spend time looking for negative stories connected to Black people or race. They're trying to stir up racial division.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:50 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes everything is the "MSM" when it doesn't fit your "narrative".
. . . . which is kind of strange when all of the so-called "MSM" outlets are reporting the same facts and include journalistic institutions trusted for many decades, such as the Big 3, CNN, NPR, AP, NYT, LAT, WaPo, etc. . . . but then again, I am sure they are a part of a globally coordinated propaganda machine orchestrated by President Obama. Note that WSJ and NY Post are apparently not included in the "MSM", probably because they are considered to be conservative publications.

I realize that the real definition of MSM is any media outlet that reports stuff that contradicts or is inconsistent with what is stated by Fox/Rush. In fact, "MSM" is a term coined by them to market their niche channels, to much success, by creating an illusion that what their audience wants to hear is the truth, notwithstanding anything reported by the rest of the sane, informed world.

Having said that, I watch (well, mostly listen on SiriusXM) Fox News few times a week for fun. It used to be a lot better a few years ago.

Mick

Old 05-20-2015, 04:55 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, there are multiple posters on CD that spend time looking for negative stories connected to Black people or race. They're trying to stir up racial division.
I commend their dedication. Do you know how much time it takes to "research" on their 56K AOL dial-up modem? Especially, when they have multiple windows open for unhealthy chat rooms on their Pentium desktop with a keyboard and mouse that have not been cleaned in more than a decade or two?

Speaking of which, I hope that the merger with Verizon would not ultimately result in the demise of the dial-up. I will miss so many from this forum.

Mick

Old 05-20-2015, 12:39 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Brown attacked police. Goodner attacked police. Both dead.

Riots for Brown. No coverage or minimal coverage for Goodner.
As WaldoKitty correctly points out, it does not fit the liberal medias narrative.

There also are not white based interest groups or white race merchants(like Al Sharpton) that the media knows will fly in, stir up up racial animus, thereby creating more news they can sell advertising slots to.
Another words, aside from the liberal bias, don't think for a minute that executives don't help to feed the fire and send multiple trucks/reporters knowing that dependable race merchants will be bringing plenty of gasoline to inflame passions.
Since that will not happen with whites, there is no reason for coverage because it does not put money in their pocket(i.e. not resource worthy), nor does it fit into their biased political belief system.

As I pointed out, this should not happen, regardless of whether the news media tries to stir the pot. Heck I think their executives should be held accountable, if not criminally, at least civilly. Sure they are not the ones literally setting a store ablaze, but they are certainly contributing to it.

HOWEVER, regardless of the hypocrisy which seems to be your focus (I agree with that), no criminal who attacks the police should be made out as a hero/martyr/victim as was the case with Michael "Gentle Giant" Brown.
Therefore Austin Goodner gets not a single tear from me, and I'd be happy to buy the cops that shot him a beer.
The same is true of officer Wilson.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Man, he looks like one cold dude. He looks like he's straight out of the seventies as well.
Actually to me he looked like the kid from "The Walking Dead" TV series. As it turns out, he made himself become a member of the walking dead with his actions.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post

LOL
The New Times is not even a real newspaper. It is the equivalent to a liberal rag you'd likely find in the seedy parts of San Francisco or Vegas, with ads for every vice and sexual perversion known to man.

You certainly wouldn't expect them to come up with real news stories or facts based on real/relevant data.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Did the OP search the internet for a story like this to post here???

Why are some of you SO obsessed with race??? I can't think of a less significant detail of a person, yet some of you are always sparking racial debates and it's like... why? Who really cares?
If you really want the answers to your questions, ask the one you likely voted for in 2008 & 2012. This forum along with many others went from an occasional discussion related to race, to now where it dominates the discussions. The OP made it clear that he also wishes to expose the hypocrisy of the media
Good old Eric Holder challenged America and said we were to much a coward to have a real discussion about race.
Well now that people are getting fed up with what the Rabble Rouser in Chief has stirred up, it is at the forefront of many discussions.

Let us know what he says is the reason when you hear back.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 872,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Actually to me he looked like the kid from "The Walking Dead" TV series. As it turns out, he made himself become a member of the walking dead with his actions.
You do realize this young man had mental problems.

I think what he did, suicide by cop had been done a very long time ago.

Suicide by Cop: Broadening Our Understanding
By Tony Salvatore
9/9/2014

Suicide by cop (SBC) is a situation where individuals deliberately place themselves or others at grave risk in a manner that compels the use of deadly force by police officers. There are many known SBC-specific risk factors, warning signs, and triggers.[1] Individuals who feel trapped, ashamed, hopeless, desperate, revengeful, or enraged and those who are seeking notoriety, assuring lethality, saving face, sending a message, or evading moral responsibility often attempt SBC.[2] In the field of suicide prevention, SBC has received little attention.

more
FBI — Suicide by Cop: Broadening Our Understanding

I see that don't list mental illness.

Quote:

Rebecca Stincelli, author of "Suicide by Cop: Victims on Both Sides of the
Badge," ultimately considers the phrase something of a misnomer.

"Suicide by cop is ultimately just that: suicide," Stincelli says. "We don't
call other forms of suicide 'suicide by exhaust' or 'suicide by barbiturates.'
We call them suicides."

Yet the term persists, much to the disgust of officers who are labeled
"killers" by the press and the public. Stincelli finds the appraisal an unfair
one. "When a person jumps to his death, we don't persecute the sidewalk," she
explains. "But time and again, society will blame the cop."
Suicide by Cop - Article - POLICE Magazine

In this instance, I do not blame the officer at all.

Why isn't mental illness awareness a part of these?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
You do realize this young man had mental problems.

Why isn't mental illness awareness a part of these?

I don't know that. However even if I knew he was mentally ill, he gave the police little choice.

I also don't know what you mean by your question I bolded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events