Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
An 80-year-old white guy from North Carolina doesn't like black people. What a shocker.
It's not that simple.
He has a point.
If we figure out why, maybe we can fix things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Even if he has a point it will not be listened to as he is considered part of the problem. Legacy and all that.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not blame them. Most black women I have seen are hideous.
I dare you to tell them that in person.

R.I.P. Felix C (19??-2015)

Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This graph alone does not prove anything, does it? As you know, there are tons of Asian-American small business owners (think owners of a restaurant, convenience store, dry cleaner, etc.) who make many multiples of $67K. They didn't get hired to a great job, because white people loved them (as claimed by the poster I was replying to). My point was that, for entry-level and middle management positions, white people might like working with Asian-Americans, but for management level or C-suite level, Asians are notoriously underrepresented, especially if you compare at same objective qualification levels. That's what I said, go take a look again if you like.

Bamboo ceiling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First, the highest level achieved in investment banking is Managing Director, in most places. Please show me where Asian-Americans constitute a substantial percentage of Managing Directors - keep in mind that most MDs who are Asian-Americans get promoted to that position mostly because of their connections, knowledge and fluency in the Far East. In other words, without that special skillset, it is much tougher to be an Asian-American MD. Google and you will find Asian-American i-bankers discussing the bamboo ceiling.

Do me a favor and count how many CEO's of Fortune 500 companies are Asian-Americans. For these purposes, Indians are not "Asians".

"Asians are a YOUNG minority"? Talk about generalization. Whole bunch came here in the 1800's. Some came yesterday. And most somewhere in between.

I am confused here. What is your point, that Asian-Americans don't face discrimination? The fact that Asian-Americans represent a majority of UCLA and UC Berkley students after they totally eliminated affirmative action, show you almost definitively that they are discriminated against at every other school. Think about it.

Just because some of them have achieved success doesn't mean they did not face discrimination and overcame with superior determination and intellect. The household income chart needs to be controlled for grades, education, etc. to see the true difference among the races.
It will take awhile for Asians to penetrate the management level in greater numbers because whites are holding the management level positions all to themselves regardless of how the candidates experience, education, or background stack up. I've worked in corporate America for over 15 yrs and there's something wrong when you have 20%+ of a company made of non-whites but less than 1% of management positions are non-white and almost 80% are males.

Some tech places I worked at, they keep hiring and firing white managers that are totally incompetent but would never even give a non-white candidate a chance. They've hired some hispanic (white) managers but they keep them from getting promoted to higher levels.

It's a pervasive problem in corporate America today.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It will take awhile for Asians to penetrate the management level in greater numbers because whites are holding the management level positions all to themselves regardless of how the candidates experience, education, or background stack up. I've worked in corporate America for over 15 yrs and there's something wrong when you have 20%+ of a company made of non-whites but less than 1% of management positions are non-white and almost 80% are males.

Some tech places I worked at, they keep hiring and firing white managers that are totally incompetent but would never even give a non-white candidate a chance. They've hired some hispanic (white) managers but they keep them from getting promoted to higher levels.

It's a pervasive problem in corporate America today.
Truth!

Whites don't compare themselves directly with blacks because of all the historical baggage. Instead, Asians are used so that whites can say "America isn't racist. If you worked hard like Asians, you'd all be ahead." Asians out earn and supposedly out work whites, yet whites are still overwhelmingly seen in disproportionate numbers at the executive levels of companies.

People like that professor don't care about Asians. They only want to use Asians as a shield to defend themselves against the truth. Whites never compare themselves to Asians. Whites have all the advantages, yet Asians outperform them. No one ever brings that up. It's the clearest sign that blacks' claims of discrimination are on point. If blacks achieved like Asians, they'd be in the same position: making lots of money but still answering to a white boss. Whites love their model minority because Asians don't rock the boat. The longer Asians are here and the deeper their ties become to this nation, the more likely they are to fight for equal opportunities. At that point, Asians will no longer be the favored minority. Blacks are reviled because they are willing to challenge white supremacy. When Asians do the same, they'll face experience what blacks experience.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,655 times
Quote:
How can anyone retain their culture after being brought over as slaves?
That was my point.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:54 AM

482 posts, read 944,989 times
What this white, 80 Duke University professor is failing to realize is that black people were stolen from their own continent, forced into free labor, suffered horrific atrocities, and continue to do so...so um, yes there are black people who resent being forced to assimilate and name their children unique or ethnic names as an act of defiance. I don't think any person of any other lineage can empathize with the atrocity of slavery and it's lingering effects...so in that case, I offer seats for everyone. Won't you have one?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:05 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
The vast majority of Asian American adults are immigrants who came here through selective immigration policies. We're talking about successful established doctors, engineers,lawyers, businessmen etc in their home countries who come here with money already.

To compare those people to poor African Americans citizens and ask "hey why aren't you successful as them" is a joke. This isn't even getting into the entire history of racial discrimination African Americans have faced in this country and continue to face

Old 05-21-2015, 05:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
How can anyone retain their culture after being brought over as slaves?
150 years isn't enough time to reestablish your culture? Or to meld into American culture?

Old 05-21-2015, 05:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
I would NOT say that Asians or any other "minority" group has had it as bad as blacks...that is just silly...

In all my years I have gone to school with, worked with, and played/partied with many races...my current job is very diverse as was the college I went to

I NEVER in all my years came across someone of Asian or indian decent who did not work their asses off...not a lazy or entitled one in the bunch...that isn't about race its about CULTURE...there is a base honor code in their dna seemingly and they work very hard and accomplishment and high achievement is as important to them, if not more, than anything else...again I KNOW I am stereotyping and this is based on MY experience, NOT the entire world.

Again, that is culture...Asians or Indians aren't bore predisposed to be high achievers...

Now my experience with black people is much different...Ive come across many and it goes from criminal to entitled to high achievers...again I think its cultural...you want to be part of the glorified thug life, then go ahead

and WHITE people aren't much different in my experience than black people as far as my post goes...ive come across many many lazy entitled white people...again I think its cultural...white and black aren't born predisposed to be anything but poop machines lOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events