Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel we need less Police??
Yes 31 43.66%
No 35 49.30%
Unsure 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:51 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
I will keep this very brief. Defense spending is Federal dollars and while levels are not specified, congress must fund an Army and Navy for the common defense.

Police fall under state and local municipalities, and derive their legal authority and funding from there.

There is NO connection to police spending/funding and military spending/funding. They are from completely different sources, and fall under completely different legal authorizations/obligations of the Federal, State, and local governments.
The point I was making is that all of our funding is based on fear.

I understand we need a military. I also understand we need some type of Police force. I'm discussing the extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Where I live the high crime rate area that is known for home invasions, robberies, and shootings is almost completely avoided by the police. It evolved over time to be this way. Nobody ever saw anything since this is known as snitching, so the police can patrol other areas where they are not attacked and confronted at ever arrest or pullover. I think the criminals in that area are getting what they wished for. They are mostly harming themselves and their inner circle community and they don't want the police there anyway. Win win.
It seems like where there's help needed there's none. And when the criminals aren't bothering you, and you just want to go about your day, its the Police.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
As someone with a law degree and brown skin who gets pulled over for way more "driving while Indian" offences than anyone who drives the way I do, deserves, let me weigh in. Any area with "too many" minorities has WAY too many police. PERIOD. It isn't a matter of any ACTUAL crime rates or anything like that; it's just the perception of brown skin that makes them overpolice the area, or in this case the STATE. Plus which, they're starting to station the police of the same or perceived-same race as the alleged suspected race which commits the crimes, just to thwart racial profiling claims. WRONG, FIDO. Racial profiling accusations are based on the perceived-race of the victim and have nothing to do with the race of the PIG that pulled them over.

I went to law school because of doctors, not because of cops. But we're getting there.
Very interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
It seems like where there's help needed there's none. And when the criminals aren't bothering you, and you just want to go about your day, its the Police.
If you were a police officer would you go into an neighborhood full of people who despise you and don't want you there?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
As someone with a law degree and brown skin who gets pulled over for way more "driving while Indian" offences than anyone who drives the way I do, deserves, let me weigh in. Any area with "too many" minorities has WAY too many police. PERIOD. It isn't a matter of any ACTUAL crime rates or anything like that; it's just the perception of brown skin that makes them overpolice the area, or in this case the STATE. Plus which, they're starting to station the police of the same or perceived-same race as the alleged suspected race which commits the crimes, just to thwart racial profiling claims. WRONG, FIDO. Racial profiling accusations are based on the perceived-race of the victim and have nothing to do with the race of the PIG that pulled them over.

I went to law school because of doctors, not because of cops. But we're getting there.
I'm in agreement with this poster. There are way too many police officers in the ghetto. Send them to locations where they are appreciated.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 PM

468 posts, read 583,188 times
How does anyone feel safer with a cop around when they get their after the crime is done?

Give me a concealed and carry over a cop any day. C/C is real time, on time "cop in my hand." Thank you.
Some of you adults need to grow up and stop looking for daddy to protect you. Get a C/C practice at the range till you are a gun slinger and let them bring it on.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:05 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Some places would become less safe with less police presence.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 PM

277 posts, read 365,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I'm in agreement with this poster. There are way too many police officers in the ghetto. Send them to locations where they are appreciated.
Brilliant.... Do you have any idea how many more violent crimes there would be? You would even MORE cops there. The higher the crime rate, the more cops deployed in the area. It's as simple as that.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Brilliant.... Do you have any idea how many more violent crimes there would be? You would even MORE cops there. The higher the crime rate, the more cops deployed in the area. It's as simple as that.
The only violent crimes that ghetto people get outraged over is when cops kill black men. The simple solution is to remove the police from these areas. Although I do like a good fire now and then...

Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Starting this thread to discuss our current Police issue. We all know about the brutality and corruption in some departments, but this thread is to discuss lesser evils such as harassment and Policing for profit.

Do you feel that in safe areas we need LESS Police officers? It seems like in some small towns where there are low crime rates, there are Police EVERYWHERE. And in dangerous areas, where there's high crime, Police aren't always there when you need them.

How do you feel about your local Police force when it comes to minor enforcement issues and every day interactions?

I'll state my opinion 1st. I believe we're spending too much on defense, in all areas, and are not doing enough to adapt our policies to reduce our crime problem and other social ills. I believe we have gotten away from the true needs of a Police force, and that there is a growing disconnect between the public, and the Police/government.

Opinions??

Typical liberal minded way of looking at things.

"We all know" about police brutality/corruption in police departments. NO WE DON'T. Maybe in your warped view it is like that, but most sensible people know differently.

Aside from that, you are mistaken about police not being in high crime areas vs. low ones.
For example, many smaller cities in Miami-Dade county decided to incorporate into their own city so that their tax dollars would be spent in their own communities rather than a disproportionate amount going to the inner cites.
For instance a disproportionate number of police and rescue calls were/are occurring in the inner cities, hence a much greater police/EMS presence. Mean while response times for the more affluent sections of the county without their own departments were lagging way behind.
So they started to keep their own taxes after incorporation and amazingly enough police response times became great, as were EMS response. Imagine that. The city started getting the pot holes fixed much sooner, bought land to create parks, etc.
In short most every town that incorporated saw property values go up as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events