Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel we need less Police??
Yes 31 43.66%
No 35 49.30%
Unsure 5 7.04%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Oakley, Michigan has only 300 residents. Up until very recently, it also had 100 police officers. How does a town end up with a police force equal to one-third of its population?
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...requests.shtml

lol

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:00 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I come here don't I

I have jobs more dangerous than most Police jobs. Not comparable to patrolling certain neighborhoods, but I've taken a few risks before for the sake of others.
Please... do share your dangerous exploits that benefit the community you serve.

Police displace crime through aggressive preventative patrol ...historic benchmark studies such as the Kansas city experiment has demonstrated this .
Saturation of an area can reduce crime but what also came out of the study is that when police leave crime returns. Simplistically more police can mean less crime but there are numerous other factors in play

In regards to the posters opinion about ab109 and prop 47 impact on crime... when you do not or cannot incarcerate criminals it makes sense by default that crime will go up in an area... and it certainly has where I work. Quality of life issues are also become substantially affected for the community .. trespass.. vagrancy.. crimes of opportunity.. burglary .. theft.. all spike.. drug crimes also go up... it doesn't take a sociological study to know this... if you are embedded in the community you see it daily. Once drug offenders or felons are released they don't miraculously become model citizens... they return to crime.. for many reasons.. one thing that is certain.. while incarcerated they aren't committing crimes in the communities they are released to. One skewed aspect of releases are criminals not being released back to the community where they commit their crime .. which would perhaps change community sentiments about not incarcerating people for many crimes. The law isn't working.. crooks aren't being released back to their community ... and crooks aren't getting jailed ...

Perhaps a system of deterrence would be more effective than one we are currently using

Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 AM

756 posts, read 833,879 times
Lightbulb My Thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Starting this thread to discuss our current Police issue. We all know about the brutality and corruption in some departments, but this thread is to discuss lesser evils such as harassment and Policing for profit.

Do you feel that in safe areas we need LESS Police officers? It seems like in some small towns where there are low crime rates, there are Police EVERYWHERE. And in dangerous areas, where there's high crime, Police aren't always there when you need them.

How do you feel about your local Police force when it comes to minor enforcement issues and every day interactions?

I'll state my opinion 1st. I believe we're spending too much on defense, in all areas, and are not doing enough to adapt our policies to reduce our crime problem and other social ills. I believe we have gotten away from the true needs of a Police force, and that there is a growing disconnect between the public, and the Police/government.

Opinions??
The Poe Lease meeds to be here for us for the security and for the protection. Provide opportunities for African Americans and do some thing about Mexico border patrol. Just get rid of all the illegal immigrants.

Also, they just hire any body for the poe lease officers. So they really meed to just not be so out of control.
Small crimes meed to be over looked and bigger crimes meed to be enforced.

And do some thing about those evil drunk drivers and those on their cell phones just facebooking away when they should be driving.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't think the presence of cops deter crimes from being committed for the most part. I think there are many other factors that go into crime rates of areas - local economy (jobs, pay rate), infrastructure, condition of public schools, etc. I don't think increasing the amount of cops anywhere will prevent or decrease crime rates.
I agree with you for the most part. I think it comes down to a personal responsibility thing. Let's be real here, the issue is drunk/drugged driving right?

Are there still people drinking and driving? Yes. Drugging to where they're impaired and driving? Yes. I think some of our policies have helped reduce certain things to an extent, but its still coming down to a personal responsibility thing. And an addiction thing in most cases.

On a Social level. Think about our current society. High stress. Everyone is overworked. There's a lot of negative press. The Economy is stalled and there's a Political stalemate.

We have higher addiction rates and our current policies aren't reducing the number of addicts and the resulting symptoms.

Long term budget reduction could mean funding treatment and true rehabilitation now instead of law enforcement. Plus its jobs.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think speeding and seat belt laws are largely BS. How fast you're going isn't nearly as important as how much you are paying to what you are doing. If you don't want to wear a seat-belt, it is your health that is at risk. Have at it.
The seat belt thing is beyond stupid. People ride around on motorcycles all day long. They obviously are not restricting things based solely on safety. Or expense to the public.

The speeding thing should only be when its excessive imo.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Saturation of an area can reduce crime but what also came out of the study is that when police leave crime returns.
Did you even read my post? I said the same thing, you agreed with my premise that simply throwing large numbers of Police at a problem doesn't solve it. And not only do we fail to make any lasting change in the crime rate, the large number of people arrested who might not have been otherwise end up causing the community more pain, removing dads, brothers and sons from a neighborhood and returning them with a criminal record devastating their chance of finding employment, or even living with their family in subsidized housing. If the community develops trust in the Police, they will tell you who is causing the problems, ask them and then micro target those individuals you will get better results.

Quote:
In regards to the posters opinion about ab109 and prop 47 impact on crime...when you do not or cannot incarcerate criminals it makes sense by default that crime will go up in an area... and it certainly has where I work.
A logical fallacy: Ad hoc ergo propter hoc. Because some felons serve their prison term locally, and and because possession of a controlled system is a misdemeanor; rather than a longer a felony; therefore crime has increased. Neither AB109 nor Prop 47 prevent Police from incarcerating offenders and you know it. Maybe crime has gone up where you are because your county dumped all it's money into marijuana interdiction and ignored it's large meth problem.

Quote:
Perhaps a system of deterrence would be more effective than one we are currently using
Now you are talking sense.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
It is immaterial if someone doesn't agree with the seat-belt law... it's still the law and police are supposed to enforce it. I think the majority of police are good people and too many people who hate police are not. I like for police to do their job... except, of course, when I'm given a ticket for speeding.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM

613 posts, read 463,413 times
We don't need less police. Just better police. :\

Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
It is immaterial if someone doesn't agree with the seat-belt law... it's still the law and police are supposed to enforce it. I think the majority of police are good people and too many people who hate police are not. I like for police to do their job... except, of course, when I'm given a ticket for speeding.
That's a terrible way to go about life.

In some countries people get killed for their freedoms.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2
I feel safer seeing cops around. If I lived in a small town with a low crime rate, I would still want to see a nice police presence to keep the area safe.
With 99% of cops being mean and evil to people,I WOULD THINK THINGS WOULD BE BETTER W/O THEM ROUND!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events