Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Police believe more than one suspect was involved, according to a source
familiar with the investigation.

The source also said the suspects erased video from the home's security
cameras.

Wint is no stranger to the criminal justice system. According to court
records, he has faced multiple charges over the years, including theft, assault
and a sexual offense.

The motive
Detectives have not released an official motive for the killing, but
investigators believe money was a prime factor.

"Whoever was in the house was looking for money," a source with knowledge of
the investigation told CNN Wednesday. A separate law enforcement source
disclosed that the assailant -- or assailants -- who set the mansion on fire and
killed residents Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their 10-year-old son
Philip and the family's housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, got away with
$40,000.
Suspect ID'd in D.C. arson, quadruple homicide | National News - WESH Home

Someone was either watching or someone gave these POSs info on the large amount of money Mr Savapoulos brought home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 06:35 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Not without evidence that the accused committed the crime due to racial animus, as opposed to money. Maybe there is some evidence, but I haven't read about it yet.

You know what's sad, as soon as I read this story and saw a picture of the criminal, I knew immediately that there will be this type of post on this forum. I was right, it took only a few minutes, with the usual "message". City-Data Current Events Forum, you never disappoint me. . . . sigh.

Mick

P.S. R.I.P. to the victims. Nobody deserves to die like that. . . . well, except for people who perpetuate this kind of crime.
BUT Ferguson and Baltimore ARE RACIALLY MOTIVATED???? What am I missing? Only crimes committed against blacks are due to racial animus? I am so tired of blacks using the "racial" crutch. There are crimes committed against whites that indicate racial animus but whites are not allowed to use that crutch. It is a heinous crime which was committed against innocent people because there are low life sociopaths out there. Oh, by the way, they were Black.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
The only thing that I know about this story is what I heard on the news, but I thought the $40K was brought to the house to give to the killers so that they would leave this family alone. I heard this morning that the son got the worst of the treatment. When they get all of these monsters, I wonder if their community will be rallying around them or expect true justice for this family and their housekeeper.

I also wonder why the employee who brought the money and the husband of the housekeeper did not notify the police. That is the first thing that I would have done and we have already talked about this at home and the police will be called if we are ever in this situation.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
My question is this, will it be prosecuted as a hate crime?
not likely. despite the fact that they tortured a 10 year old boy

Quote:
New, horrifying details are surfacing about what happened inside the Savopoulos mansion near Vice President Joe Biden's house before the murders.

A law enforcement source tell WUSA9's Bruce Leshan that detectives now believe the killers tortured the 10-year-old boy, Phillip Savopoulos, in the effort to get money out of his father.
Boy, 10, tortured before DC murders, fire
at least the two teenage daughters missed out on this, I shudder to think of the treatment they would have been in for.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM

1,077 posts, read 871,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
The only thing that I know about this story is what I heard on the news, but I thought the $40K was brought to the house to give to the killers so that they would leave this family alone. I heard this morning that the son got the worst of the treatment. When they get all of these monsters, I wonder if their community will be rallying around them or expect true justice for this family and their housekeeper.

I also wonder why the employee who brought the money and the husband of the housekeeper did not notify the police. That is the first thing that I would have done and we have already talked about this at home and the police will be called if we are ever in this situation.

BBM

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of that fact.

Good question on why the housekeeper didn't inform LE?

Such an egregious crime and since one victim is a child, I do hope when they catch this POS and whoever was with him, Washington, DC can up this crime to one that demands a DP.

No DP, seems it was abolished in 1981.

District of Columbia | Death Penalty Information Center

Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
I'm curious how they had a record of his DNA in the first place. probably was associated with his previous sexual assault charge.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,732 times
I am absolutely sickened and disgusted! This poor family and that poor little boy. I can't even begin to imagine the horror and the physical pain they all experienced. I hope they find this animal - he deserves the death penalty. He's a sociopath monster!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
BUT Ferguson and Baltimore ARE RACIALLY MOTIVATED???? What am I missing? Only crimes committed against blacks are due to racial animus? I am so tired of blacks using the "racial" crutch. There are crimes committed against whites that indicate racial animus but whites are not allowed to use that crutch. It is a heinous crime which was committed against innocent people because there are low life sociopaths out there. Oh, by the way, they were Black.
Cops have been treated differently in this regard because of their civic job obligation and the perception that black males are unfairly targeted and treated. When an unarmed black male is killed (sometimes shot in the back while fleeing without posing a threat), a lot of people feel that the race may have been the primary factor in the killing. Is that fair, does it make sense? I don't know, but I could see their point of view in light of the history.

As for civilian-on-civilian crimes, in order for a crime to be a "hate crime" under the law, there has to be some clear evidence of hate being a motivating factor. Screaming racial epithets (black or white) might be the best evidence. The jury is not allowed to simply presume ("oh, common sense") that race was a factor.

Mick

Old 05-21-2015, 07:43 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,112,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I'm curious how they had a record of his DNA in the first place. probably was associated with his previous sexual assault charge.
Yes, he was previously convicted of sexual assault. However, nowadays in many jurisdictions, the police can take your DNA involuntarily upon conviction, or even arrest (which may or may not result in a conviction later).

Mick

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

You know what's sad, as soon as I read this story and saw a picture of the criminal, I knew immediately that there will be this type of post on this forum. I was right, it took only a few minutes, with the usual "message". City-Data Current Events Forum, you never disappoint me. . . . sigh.

Mick

P.S. R.I.P. to the victims. Nobody deserves to die like that. . . . well, except for people who perpetuate this kind of crime.

Because you would rather people ignore the story because of the killers race? lol

I guess in your opinion white people shouldnt talk about black criminals now? Wouldnt want to disappoint you lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events