Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,564,519 times

Advertisements

Very interesting timing

Quote:
President Vladimir Putin said on Monday "the main part" of Russian armed forces in Syria would start to withdraw, and instructed his diplomats to step up the push for peace as U.N.-mediated talks resumed in Geneva on ending the five-year war.

Syria announced President Bashar al-Assad had agreed on the "reduction" of Russian forces in a telephone call with Putin. Western diplomats urged caution and the anti-Assad opposition expressed bafflement, with a spokesman saying "nobody knows what is in Putin's mind".

Russia's military intervention in Syria in September helped to turn the tide of war in Assad's favor after months of gains in western Syria by rebel fighters, who were aided by foreign military supplies including U.S.-made anti-tank missiles.
Putin says Russians to start withdrawing from Syria, as peace talks resume | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 05:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,462,539 times
No specifics yet but I hear it's only the air group. A presence will be maintained and the SAA will take on yet more of the fight now that things are under control.

Good move? I doubt it, the West still supports the terrorists and no doubt the laws of destruction capitalism apply. There is no profit in peace.

The bullets must fly!!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 PM

599 posts, read 402,374 times
That's a shame I was hoping to see an expansion of Russian military intervention in Syria. I believe that the United States should have worked with the Russian Federation in Syria by sharing intelligence and coordinating missions. It's time this country owns up to our mistake and acknowledge that under past and present U.S. leadership we have destabilized the Middle East.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 PM

7,789 posts, read 6,406,415 times
If it sounds too good to be true.......................................

Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,304,121 times
What are they exactly withdrawing? They don't have combat troops there and I don't believe they are gong to stop the air campaign. I actually think they have achieved very little other than a few villages here and there. Aleppo is the big prize and that is still in rebel hands. Stopping now makes no sense.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:59 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,914,456 times
Now, if guys could just start pulling out of Bristol Palin, the world might be a better place.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:39 PM

700 posts, read 638,780 times
I see some people still maintain that Russia's intention in intervening in Syria was to combat ISIS. For the time being at least Russia achieved its actual objective... and ISIS remains as strong as ever there.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,846,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
What is so interesting about the timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
That's a shame I was hoping to see an expansion of Russian military intervention in Syria. I believe that the United States should have worked with the Russian Federation in Syria by sharing intelligence and coordinating missions. It's time this country owns up to our mistake and acknowledge that under past and present U.S. leadership we have destabilized the Middle East.
Why would they expand? The accomplished a lot, and still leaving air power there, just withdrawing a lot of it. Assad is much more stable now, and now they are at the table discussing peace terms whereas last year no one would go to the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What are they exactly withdrawing? They don't have combat troops there and I don't believe they are gong to stop the air campaign. I actually think they have achieved very little other than a few villages here and there. Aleppo is the big prize and that is still in rebel hands. Stopping now makes no sense.
They have a few thousand troops there. They are withdrawing various air wings and it support and security, and leaving one large air wing there for the time being.

You think they achieved very little? How do you even figure that? The Assad regime is stable and took back a lot. Assad and the numerous rebel groups are at the table discussing peace, and ISIS though still strong, is significantly weaker than last October.

What was the end game the US/West had in mind? To see Assad topple of 60+ rebel groups battle it out to see who becomes in charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
I see some people still maintain that Russia's intention in intervening in Syria was to combat ISIS. For the time being at least Russia achieved its actual objective... and ISIS remains as strong as ever there.
Their intention was to strengthen the Assad regime, I have never read anything different. ISIS could never be directly confronted as what has stood in between Assad and ISIS has been the 60+ rebel groups. Also, difficult for Assad and Russia to combat against the ISIS if they are being attacked by the rebel groups who were bordering the regime. That does not even make sense to expect Assad and Russia to engage combat against the ISIS, but ignore the rebel groups who were attacking. That is like saying you should ignore the guy beating on your head to go after the guy down the street.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,593,330 times
ISIS has had battle lines that border areas controlled by government forces. ISIS had been especially involved in battles with the Syrian government forces around Damascus. They were evacuated back in December and have been in retreat.

Russia is also providing air support for the Kurds in Aleppo province who are fighting ISIS and other rebel groups.

Now, there are two government-allied forces who are approaching Raqqa, the alleged control center for ISIS' operations in Syria.

It remains to be seen how much of ISIS remains in Syria as many fighters were reportedly evacuated to Libya.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,964,247 times
They're just pulling their troops back so they don't get hurt when they Nuke 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events