Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
From my own observations on visits to America. You folks are morbidly obese.......... we're merely obese. But we're catching up with ya!.........
That is a very broad generalization, I've only seen morbidly obese people on the show, My 600 lb life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,807 times
I'm very thin and fit (5'8", 125 lbs.) but I have to say you're right. Visited Australia awhile back and I was totally surprised at how fat many Aussies are! Not what I was expecting by a long shot.

Obesity isn't an American or European problem; it is a first world problem. Even Asians (Japan/China/S.Korea) are plumping up these days. The more developed the country, the fatter are most of the people..

Old 06-21-2015, 01:40 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
I think the growth hormones in meat add to the problem, as well as all the grains we eat. Every diabetic knows that even "whole grains" turn to sugar quickly.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:25 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think the growth hormones in meat add to the problem, as well as all the grains we eat. Every diabetic knows that even "whole grains" turn to sugar quickly.

People are fat because they eat too much and take no exercise.

A friend of mine is a provider in a clinic. All the time patients come in wanting a pill to help them lose weight. Claim (mostly women) it's not their fault as they "hardly eat anything". It's got to be hormones or something.

So he asks them to tell him what they had to eat in the last 24 hours and come to find out, day is started by stopping Hardees and getting a sausage, egg cheese, biscuit & hash browns. They went out with co-workers at lunch to the Chinese buffet. Had drinks after work, and ate a substantial dinner. Day is spent in mini-van, at computer, yakking on phone, and looking at TV. LOL.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:56 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
I travel to Europe twice a year. From a visual point of view, I never seem to see obese people in Europe.

Statistics are rarely accurate.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:34 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Britain's fattest man, Carl Thompson, dead at 33 and weighed 65 stone | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-21-2015, 05:21 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
They shouldn't, but they do anyway. About lots of things. Europeans are taught about as many lies about America and Europe as Americans are about Europe AND America, on a wide variety of subjects. But Europeans have always been snobs. And they LOVE to pretend that all the white people in America just grew up out of the ground here like potatoes. They hate to get any credit for all the bad stuff that happened here. They want to pretend like their hands are clean.
It's nice how you criticise for something 700 million people supposedly did by doing the same thing.
Oh, obviously your knowledge of Europe is strengthened by decades spent living and travelling here, no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Not really. The countries with 25+% obesity make up around 60% of Europe's population.

If we break this down by states vs countries, a lot of US states are no more obese than European countries. For example, California (pop 40M) is no more obese than Spain (pop 46M).

The south has very high rates of obesity, but also the highest black population. Blacks have an obesity rate around 50%. I'll go out on a limb and say the US also has a higher Mexican population...and Mexican Americans have an obesity rate over 40%.

Could it be that white Americans actually have lower obesity rates than many of their European counterparts?

If the US were 90%+ white like many Europrean countries what would the obesity rate be? Maybe around 20% like it is in Montana, Utah, Vermont, Massachusetts?
Italy, France, Denmark and the Netherlands have lowest obesity rates though, something that can be hardly found in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I think it's actually worse for the European countries.

At least the food in the US tastes amazing. Anybody ever traveled through Europe? Most countries have dreadful food. Even countries that are marketed as having good food (like Italy) don't hold a candle to the US in that regard.
I have seen things eaten in elementary schools that Italians wouldn't give to a rat, I hope to have given the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
I'm very thin and fit (5'8", 125 lbs.) but I have to say you're right. Visited Australia awhile back and I was totally surprised at how fat many Aussies are! Not what I was expecting by a long shot.

Obesity isn't an American or European problem; it is a first world problem. Even Asians (Japan/China/S.Korea) are plumping up these days. The more developed the country, the fatter are most of the people..
Hey no, it's better to blame an entire continent for being snob and arrogant (and it's quite known that Europeans always brag about Europe #1, Europe da best and we have da freedom, how lovely stereotypes).

Old 06-21-2015, 07:29 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post

Italy, France, Denmark and the Netherlands have lowest obesity rates though, something that can be hardly found in the US.
But those countries make up less than 20% of Europe's population. Why not compare the European countries with the lowest obesity rates to the states with the lowest rates? For example MA vs Netherlands or Italy vs CA.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
but but but Pierce Morgan only got fat when you left the UK and went to the USA lol

Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
but but but Pierce Morgan only got fat when you left the UK and went to the USA lol
Maybe he likes the food in The U.S....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events