Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,962,343 times

Advertisements

I searched for a long time and cannot find a thread about this incident. It originally was in the news in 2013, but this video has just been released because of a court order.

It clearly shows 3 officers using their Taser guns repeatedly at the same time, which contradicts the police reports. One officer used his Taser 15 times in 2 minutes.

It seems to me that he kicked out the police car window to escape the police who were going to murder him. He ran directly to the door to the Emergency Room and tried to get into the hospital when he was handcuffed. The police did not allow him to enter the hospital and continued to taser him when he was on the ground handcuffed. Then they shackled his feet to subdue him and continued to use their 50,000 volt Tasers in the back seat of the cruiser.

How was he a threat to anyone once he was both handcuffed and shackled? I have often defended police officers involved in shootings and other controversial incidents, but this man was tortured to death. Keep in mind he was not in custody for any crime except for behaving erratically. He admitted he had taken cocaine, but he was unarmed and not under arrest. He pleaded for his life and asked the officers, "Why are you trying to kill me? Please don't do this to me!"

[url=http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/driven-hospital-virginia-man-tased-shackled-and-dies-police-custody]Driven to hospital, Virginia man tased, shackled and dies in police custody | MSNBC[/url]

Last edited by justNancy; 11-12-2015 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:48 PM

No comments?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,599,855 times
I did see the video … It was recently shown on CNN …

The guy was out*of*control … The police had mercifully taken him to the hospital for evaluation and possible treatment when he tried to escape, refused police commands to stop … He was tased and later died …

The ME report stated that the cause of death was "Acute Cocaine Intoxication" …

The unfortunate guy brought about his own death … Case closed ...

Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,581,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I did see the video … It was recently shown on CNN …

The guy was out*of*control … The police had mercifully taken him to the hospital for evaluation and possible treatment when he tried to escape, refused police commands to stop … He was tased and later died …

The ME report stated that the cause of death was "Acute Cocaine Intoxication" …

The unfortunate guy brought about his own death … Case closed ...
Not that simple. They never let him get Medical attention. Why not? They also lied about the events as they happened. He was tasered multiple times with multiple tasers. Why? One taser will take you down. Why use half a dozen? The man was also restrained when being tasered. Just another case of people who should not be Cops wearing Uniforms, and being given Dangerous toys to play with.

The wife is suing and will get her money. Had they not used multiple Tasers at 50,000 volts each, on a handcuffed man, and let the Hospital perform aid, he would likely still be alive. He most likely died of the excess voltage stopping his heart. Pay the woman, fore the clowns, and move along.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post

Not that simple. They never let him get Medical attention. Why not? They also lied about the events as they happened. He was tasered multiple times with multiple tasers. Why? One taser will take you down. Why use half a dozen? The man was also restrained when being tasered. Just another case of people who should not be Cops wearing Uniforms, and being given Dangerous toys to play with.

The wife is suing and will get her money. Had they not used multiple Tasers at 50,000 volts each, on a handcuffed man, and let the Hospital perform aid, he would likely still be alive. He most likely died of the excess voltage stopping his heart. Pay the woman, fore the clowns, and move along.
I saw the video … and the ME report found "acute cocaine intoxication" …

But, sure … Sue the city … The city will *settle* rather than go through a prolonged case …

The guy brought about his own death … (Or are you suggesting that the Evil Cops had forced him to use all that cocaine … ???)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,879,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy
No comments?
Very sad regardless of what the guy was doing...... THEY SHOULD HAVE ONLY RESTRAINED HIM UNTIL HE WAS CALM!!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,581,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I saw the video … and the ME report found "acute cocaine intoxication" …

But, sure … Sue the city … The city will *settle* rather than go through a prolonged case …

The guy brought about his own death … (Or are you suggesting that the Evil Cops had forced him to use all that cocaine … ???)
What difference does it make if the ME said Cocaine killed him. The Cops also said he was violent in the Car, when the video shows he was actually unresponsive at the time.
I am not "suggesting" anything. I am stating my opinion from watching the video, and comparing it to what claims the officers made, and what they did.

(or where you there, and have exclusive insight into what was not covered by the News Report, and what the officers claimed?)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Very sad regardless of what the guy was doing...... THEY SHOULD HAVE ONLY RESTRAINED HIM UNTIL HE WAS CALM!!
No … They attempted to take him to the ER for evaluation and possible treatment, where upon HE tried to run away …

If he had died from "acute cocaine intoxication" while being "restrained until he was calm," and THEN he died in absence of medical attention, the cop bashers would be screaming, "MURDER !!! MURDER !!! They should have taken him to the hospital … !!!" over that event ...

Last edited by Teilhard; 11-12-2015 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-13-2015, 02:03 AM

Cop bashers? Funny, because I am often accused of taking the cop's side. However, I was very disturbed when I saw this video. the man was not under arrest and had not been charged with anything when they picked him up for acting disorderly. They were supposedly taking him to the hospital because he was acting strangely, not violently and, according to their reports, they thought he needed a mental health evaluation. What if the man had been schizophrenic? What if he was a disabled veteran suffering from PTSD?

I wasn't influenced by anyone, because I saw the video before reading the article, but the first thing that came to mind was that it was possible something was said that frightened him, especially if he was acting paranoid or hallucinating. I am not trying to psychoanalyze the victim, but why else would he immediately run to the door of the hospital and try to get inside? He had no use of his hands, but 3 cops couldn't control one man? Then he was tasered again and again on the ground while pleading for his life and asking why they were trying to kill him. His feet were then shackled, so where would he run? He was unarmed and both his feet and legs were restrained. That means they should not have used their Tasers. Period.

I also do not understand if their main purpose was to take a man to the hospital, why they didn't allow him to get medical attention when they were directly in front of one? If it's true that he died of "acute cocaine intoxication" then why wouldn't they let him see a doctor? The reason is that they were pissed off that he kicked out the car window so they kept zapping him with their Tasers over and over. I realize that police face difficult and often dangerous situations, but there is no excuse for this type of brutality.

By the way, the autopsy showed a very small amount of cocaine in his blood. The ME said he died of cardiac arrest and attributed his condition to the drugs in his system. I doubt if the ME took into consideration 20 or more Taser discharges. Do the math. 50,000 x 20 is a million.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:11 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
The officers did wrong. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

That being said, you should never put yourself in a position where this could happen to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events