Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 AM

563 posts, read 524,076 times

Advertisements

I have been to that area several times in my life, With my fiancé. Another time with my mom and dad, and another time with my sister and her girlfriend. It does not seem like a bad neighborhood. But what does that mean these days? I am not sure anywhere is safe anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This would be in civil court, not criminal court, different rules apply.
Using Pseudonyms in Sexual Abuse Cases « Bench and Bar of Minnesota

Did some reading on several pages, seems it's not unusual in civil court to use pseudonyms but it's a balancing act.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:52 AM

366 posts, read 493,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Read previous replies, that has already been answered.

So if anyone does anything wrong to you, no matter if it caused you any slight discomfort, or if you didn't even know it happened, you can sue for monetary gain? He was a minor, he touched her on her breasts while she was sleeping, end of story. She wasn't aware it had even happened but support her now suing him? Why? You still haven't answered that.
Josh Duggar's actions qualified as Second Degree Child Sexual Assault. She should be able to sue and seek restitution for the crime he committed against her. The crime normally would carry with it a punishment of up to 6 years in jail and up to a $10,000 fine, if his parents and law enforcement had not shielded him from justice.

It does not matter if she knew it happened or not because he admitted that it did. It also does not matter how anyone feels about it because the law is reason outside of passion.

And because he also admitted to touching her while she was sleeping, it makes the crime worse because under the law she was also considered "physically helpless". The law states clearly that physically helpless includes being rendered unaware of what is happening.

Sounds like you just want to emote about it but not look at it from a rational perspective.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 AM

366 posts, read 493,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There is quite a difference in being gang raped and someone putting their hand on your breast. Neither is right, but there is a difference. Kind of like if I slapped you vs. unloading 15 rounds from a 45 cal at your head. See the difference?
Also, if Josh's fingers even slightly penetrated any of the girls' labia majora, he would then be considered a rapist under Arkansas law.

Because he was a minor at the time, the punishment was up to 6 yrs in jail/up to 10K fine and if he'd been an adult it would have been a harsher punishment.

Bear in mind that the law in Arkansas does cover all of this. You may believe that what he did was no big deal, but that's not how the law in Arkansas sees it, and that's all that matters.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:32 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Josh Duggar's actions qualified as Second Degree Child Sexual Assault. She should be able to sue and seek restitution for the crime he committed against her. The crime normally would carry with it a punishment of up to 6 years in jail and up to a $10,000 fine, if his parents and law enforcement had not shielded him from justice.

It does not matter if she knew it happened or not because he admitted that it did. It also does not matter how anyone feels about it because the law is reason outside of passion.

And because he also admitted to touching her while she was sleeping, it makes the crime worse because under the law she was also considered "physically helpless". The law states clearly that physically helpless includes being rendered unaware of what is happening.

Sounds like you just want to emote about it but not look at it from a rational perspective.
You seriously want to lock up every 14 year-old boy who touches a girl's breast over her clothes? SERIOUSLY?!? I taught middle school (which includes 14 year-old boys), it happens more than most parents want to admit. The normal way it was handled was that the boy got a 3-day suspension IF the girl reported it or a teacher saw it up until about 4-5 years ago. Now they might be expelled or placed in an alternative school for a semester, depending on the severity and the victim/victim's parents wishes. Quit kidding yourselves that anything worse would have happened to him. Frankly, he would have been better off had it hound through the judicial system as the records would have been sealed since he was a minor and it would have been considered a low-level offender with a high chance of rehabilitation.

The truth is we as a nation could not afford the incarceration costs, in dollars let alone destroyed lives, if this standard of punishment/definition you are quoting were the norm. That is the max. How about we save the big guns for the truly scary violent offenders? Also, I highly doubt most males would be okay with a female being able to come back and sue them for touching her breast 12-14 years later. I seem to recall slapping a few hands (and one face) in my youth, maybe I should look them up and sue.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
I had my butt pinched by a girl in middle school...I wanna cash in.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:53 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You seriously want to lock up every 14 year-old boy who touches a girl's breast over her clothes? SERIOUSLY?!? I taught middle school (which includes 14 year-old boys), it happens more than most parents want to admit. The normal way it was handled was that the boy got a 3-day suspension IF the girl reported it or a teacher saw it up until about 4-5 years ago. Now they might be expelled or placed in an alternative school for a semester, depending on the severity and the victim/victim's parents wishes. Quit kidding yourselves that anything worse would have happened to him. Frankly, he would have been better off had it hound through the judicial system as the records would have been sealed since he was a minor and it would have been considered a low-level offender with a high chance of rehabilitation.

The truth is we as a nation could not afford the incarceration costs, in dollars let alone destroyed lives, if this standard of punishment/definition you are quoting were the norm. That is the max. How about we save the big guns for the truly scary violent offenders? Also, I highly doubt most males would be okay with a female being able to come back and sue them for touching her breast 12-14 years later. I seem to recall slapping a few hands (and one face) in my youth, maybe I should look them up and sue.

Maybe if we actually did something rather than minimize the experience for the victims by saying "Oh, it's just boys being boys!" then it wouldn't be so commonplace. 3 day suspension isn't really doing much of anything.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:01 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

What about the 5-year old that he touched?

I don't know how any sane person can defend that.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:03 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I had my butt pinched by a girl in middle school...I wanna cash in.
Were you asleep? Were you at someone's house you trusted? Could you turn around and tell them to eff off and keep their friggin hands to themselves?

No, no, yes? Then not the same.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:15 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
What about the 5-year old that he touched?

I don't know how any sane person can defend that.
I'm not defending any of it. I do however think that someone shouldn't be able to sue 14 years after the fact. We know, from her own words in 2006, that she did not know it happened but had been told what happened shortly after it happened. I would have no issue with her suing had she done it in 2002 when it happened, in 2006 when she had police contact and was made aware there were protections out there for her, or when she became 18 or even 21 - but she didn't.

And, this is not the 5 year-old but the babysitter, who was his peer age wise.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-04-2015 at 10:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events